Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the updated 90D get 300 miles range??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a couple articles saying the updated 90D gets almost 300 miles rated range and it's over 300 miles highway range? Anyone have any info on how Tesla extended the range some much?
Sorry if it's a repost, but I didn't see anything posted yet.

I've read a couple articles saying the updated 90D gets almost 300 miles rated range and it's over 300 miles highway range? Anyone have any info on how Tesla extended the range some much?
Sorry if it's a repost, but I didn't see anything posted yet.
Improved aerodynamics would account for a fair bit I imagine. The change in shape to the nose may appear minimal, but small changes can make big differences when it comes to air flow and drag.

An example is by adding those little "winglet" upsweeps at the end of aircraft wings they improve efficiency of the whole aircraft by around 6%.

I can't believe 25+ miles of range is from aero improvements alone.

I'm really surprised there's no interest or even speculation on this. I'd be PISSED if I just picked up a P90 like my friend just did and lost out on that much range.
The main change was that Tesla decided to rerate the 90D, whereas in the previous iteration they kept the 90D at the same rating as the 85D (270 miles). I doubt the facelift did anything significant.

See the ratings:
Compare Side-by-Side

Reactions: David99
I believe the EPA didn't test the 2015 90D and just copied the ratings of the 85D, which is obvious in the above side by side. The 85-90 increase was an increase of 5.9%. That alone would result in the range going from 270 miles to 286. They may have made a tweak to the firmware to improve the range a bit as well as a bit better aerodynamics. That could explain the extra 8 miles of range.

The main change was that Tesla decided to rerate the 90D, whereas in the previous iteration they kept the 90D at the same rating as the 85D (270 miles). I doubt the facelift did anything significant.

See the ratings:
Compare Side-by-Side

I believe the EPA didn't test the 2015 90D and just copied the ratings of the 85D, which is obvious in the above side by side. The 85-90 increase was an increase of 5.9%. That alone would result in the range going from 270 miles to 286. They may have made a tweak to the firmware to improve the range a bit as well as a bit better aerodynamics. That could explain the extra 8 miles of range.

Thanks for the info. That explains a lot.

I was watching the S90D for a possible buy before and after the update. Just before the update the claimed range was 288 miles. After the update it's 294 miles. The main Model S page has a Range Per Charge calculator that says 302 miles for the 90D at a fixed 65 MPH, 70 degrees, A/C off, and 19" wheels.

I think I must have gotten one of those. My car was delivered the day before the MS changes were announced. I see 294 at 100%.

Yours is an odd one. Many of us got our 90D's last fall and they have the same battery chemistry and the same exact part number as yours yet no way do we get 294. 286-288 maybe but not 294. Very curious but you should be happy!