TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How does this bid sound for a garage outlet?

Discussion in 'North America' started by Effects, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Effects

Effects Member

I would have liked a parts/labor breakdown. What do you folks think?

ITEM DESCRIPTION Total

Bid Run a new 50A circuit from the existing 200A panel. Consolidate circuits using quads and tandem breakers to make room (Cuttler Hammer 50/20 and 20A tandems). Use conduit inside the garage on the wall and provide a Nema 14-50 receptacle.

Sales Tax 0.00

$520.00

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Sounds fair. I would check they are using #6 copper wire.

3. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

How long is the wire run?

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

the quote is meaningless without knowing how far the future plug is from the panel..

5. Effects

Effects Member

We are looking at 31 feet.

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

You are using conduit. As a price comparison, I went to Home Depot on line and bought copper #6 4-wire (3 + ground) 'romex' for about $2/foot when I did my install. YMMV.

7. Effects

Effects Member

Looking to having this done by an electrician.

8. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Seems fair. I think I paid less than $200 for about 20 ft of conduit and a 14-50, but I didn't have any breaker consolidation work.

9. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

Given the run length, conduit and breaker consolidation I think $500 is a fair price. I paid $800 for a ~60 ft run which had to go through multiple walls + a crawl space, along with breaker consolidation.

10. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The primary cost in these installations is labor and permitting -- where do I have to crawl, drill, finagle, coerce, cough-up-insulation, battle a 200-cell paper wasp nest, coordinate with a hopelessly busy inspector, etc. A 20' installation where fishing and drilling firewalls and such is required is likely to be more expensive than a 100' straight attic or basement joist run.

Whether 6/3 Romex or 3x6AWG+1x10AWG THHN or even 4x6 AWG THHN, the retail cost is between $2.50 and $3/ft for the wire.

Given the description $520 seems perfectly reasonable.

11. TeslaSinHR

TeslaSinHR Member

If it is parts & labor it is fair. I think I paid $450. Most of the cost is the labor. I also asked that they use wiring that could handle 100 A so that if I decided to install an HPWC later, they wouldn't have to run new wiring - just upgrade the circuit breaker.

12. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

As others have said, it looks reasonable based on distance and complexity. It sounds like a bit less than a day of labor. I'm sure you could find a cheaper bid if you worked at it, but not substantially lower. Personally, I'd take it.