Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Track Mode behave at 100% SoC or below 10% SoC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planing out some HPDE track sessions for spring, and trying to figure out if/how I can pull it off with my M3P. My local-is track (Calabogie Motorsports Park in Ontario, Canada), offers half day packages with three 25 minute instructional track sessions with a 25 minute break in-between. Based on having done a single session as part of a novice day last year, I estimate that I'll use about 30-35% of the battery per session. There is a 48A 240V Tesla charger at the track that I can plug in to in-between sessions, which could give me a 5-6% top-up between sessions. If I charge to 100% at the CHAdeMO station that is about 30 miles from the track and arrive an hour before the start to top up, I can easily be at 100% for the first lap to maximize my track time. So I think that I can squeeze 3 sessions in if I start at 100% and charge in-between runs, but I'll finish the day pretty close to 0% SoC.

So my question is two fold:
  1. How does Track Mode behave at 100% SoC? Regen is a rather integral part of Track Mode, so should I expect very different behaviour for the first few laps until SoC dips below 95%. Is that the case?
  2. How would the M3P in Track Mode behave at SoC below 10%? Does it go into some sort of "limp mode" making it unusable for track driving? I don't ming coming off the track close to 0% for the last session considering there is a charger on site, but there is not much point if the car dramatically cuts power. I also need to know when to bail if I can't make it to the end of the last session. The track is long (5.05km - 3.14 miles) and I don't want to run out of juice at the far end. I probably wouldn't start a lap at under 5%.

Thanks in advance!

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
I know it's not the performance, it's an AWD+Boost, and thus it's not under Track mode, but I find this relevant:
Go see the graphs in the related images.

As the battery lowers the penalty to performance doesn't seem so bad, to a point. At 10% SOC it looks pretty dramatic to me, and I can only imagine it gets worse as it continues to lower. You might not like a 5% SOC lap...

Just finished a track day at Calabogie. We've done endurance racing at that track in an ICE car, so we were a lot harder on the car than someone might be with less track experience.

Calabogie let us do a half day of lapping, spread out over the whole day (special request). So instead of doing 25 mins every hour, we had 4 opportunities through the day every 2 hours.

Swapped brake fluid to SRR before heading out. (Feel like we may have even boiled this in the first stint. Adjusted braking for later sessions.)

Used about 40% battery per session and longest session was 18 minutes before we came in. At that point brakes and battery were hot enough that you really have to dial back or the car just doesn't put out. Difference is between peaking at 195 kph into turn 5 vs sub170. You can definitely feel the difference in performance at lower charge levels too. Doing 3 sessions during the day (skipped one to have a nice last session above 80% start) the lowest charge level we saw was about 30%.

First two laps are always excellent.

If you were easier on the car you could probably get a whole session.

Really curious what others manage around the track. I think our best lap of the day was 2:32.

Tesla-Model-3-P3D-SOC-Dyno-Test-1080x665.png

There isn't any "limp mode" but you will gradually lose power as SoC gets lower and at 10% it will be very low. My son asked about this and I floored it at 60mph and he laughed at how barely anything happened. It was still probably ~250 horsepower which we thought was fun when I was a kid. haha

Last edited: