Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Trump quitting Paris Agreement affect Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made the video before Elon's tweet :)
Yes, but your post was made just 49 minutes ago. You could have added a disclaimer to your post stating that your video was made prior to Elon's tweet and that since then, he has announced his departure from the councils. Or you could have updated your video since a key point was no longer valid. Instead, your post explicitly asks that he needs to leave... implying that he hasn't already done so.

Last edited:
The silver lining is this could precipitate a carbon dividend be implemented among all remaining participants which would punish economically every country that doesn't follow suit.
But this will not stop renewable energy adoption in states with state governments that have been suportive.

Reactions: AlexG
Yes, but your post was made just 49 minutes ago. You could have added a disclaimer to your post stating that your video was made prior to Elon's tweet and that since then, he has announced his departure from the councils. Or you could have updated your video since a key point was no longer valid. Instead, your post explicitly asks that he needs to leave... implying that he hasn't already done so.

Any current news related posts get outdated within hours. Nobody is going to add disclaimers to their current events videos, we just assume people understand that the videos are time sensitive. But in this case I thought this was pretty cool that I made the video calling for Musk leaving the advisory board and he did it the same day. I think that only gives me more cred.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D
Any current news related posts get outdated within hours. Nobody is going to add disclaimers to their current events videos, we just assume people understand that the videos are time sensitive. But in this case I thought this was pretty cool that I made the video calling for Musk leaving the advisory board and he did it the same day. I think that only gives me more cred.

He's always maintained that if he believed he couldn't positively influence this administration, he'd walk. And before he walked, he tweeted that if we withdrew from the Paris agreement, he'd have no choice but to walk. And then he walked.

So BEFORE you made your video, he'd already announced what he'd do if we withdrew. Sorry, I don't think you gained any credibility.

I was disappointed that Musk left the board. In doing so he abdicated any possibility of having a positive influence in the re-negotiations that Trump said he was open to. There are few issues in life that are absolutely black or white. Trump is a businessman, he appears to love the negotiation. Based on media reports, he interviews, listens, seeks council, then make a decision. Remember also, not everyone is against withdrawal from the Paris agreement. I would have been more impressed had Musk not cut and run .... that is not nearly as effective as standing and making the argument to support ones position.

I was disappointed that Musk left the board. In doing so he abdicated any possibility of having a positive influence in the re-negotiations that Trump said he was open to. There are few issues in life that are absolutely black or white. Trump is a businessman, he appears to love the negotiation. Based on media reports, he interviews, listens, seeks council, then make a decision. Remember also, not everyone is against withdrawal from the Paris agreement. I would have been more impressed had Musk not cut and run .... that is not nearly as effective as standing and making the argument to support ones position.

100% agree. Elon took the easy way out, and this was a bad move for everyone.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
100% agree. Elon took the easy way out, and this was a bad move for everyone.

LOL... Took the easy way out? Man you are some piece of work... Taking the easy way out would have been to never join the advisory group(s) to begin with. Taking the easy way out would have been to withdraw the moment people reacted so negatively to him joining in the first place. Elon simply realized that this President isn't interested in what he has to say and given the tremendous responsibilities and time demands he has elsewhere, it's only logical he stop wasting time he doesn't have trying to advise someone as obtuse as the President of the United States...

Some of you need to get a grip on reality.

To answer the OPs question, no I don't think being in or out of the Paris agreement changes a single thing for Tesla.

Jeff

It's abundantly clear that he was just wasting his time. Time he simply does not have to waste. To accuse him of pulling a "cut and run" is egregiously disingenuous and rediculously unfair.

Jeff

He's always maintained that if he believed he couldn't positively influence this administration, he'd walk. And before he walked, he tweeted that if we withdrew from the Paris agreement, he'd have no choice but to walk. And then he walked.

So BEFORE you made your video, he'd already announced what he'd do if we withdrew. Sorry, I don't think you gained any credibility.

OK, we'll just agree to disagree then, I'm still not sure why we're wasting our time talking about this.

Reactions: Stirfelt
Interesting responses to my statement. Reminds me of a quote that I like: "When the going gets tough ... the tough get going."

What would have occurred if Thomas Jefferson, or James Madison (any many others) would have folded and walked away when their ideas were rebuffed? It is never "a waste of time" to stand up for a noble ideal. Throughout history there have been many that had a conviction, and exerted the effort to change peoples minds. History reveals too many instances to count where things have not looked good for America, the economy, the war, but men with courage and conviction stuck with it and exerted the influence to made things happen. They are the personalities that are remembered .... not those who said "my way or I take the highway."

Life is a compromise. At the end of the day, neither the far left or the far right will be victorious. That is the reality!

I am not a student of Musk .... until just recently, I knew very little little about him other than he is associated with Tesla and Space X. The more I read, however, I am beginning to believe he is very impressed with himself, and likes to read his quotes in the news .... very much like the president.

PS - A quote from someone whose opinion I respect (and an owner of a S)

"Elon Musk is an iconic figure with an almost cult-like following, He is getting away with a lot; the company has never made a profit and loses money on every car made. He promises a lot but has trouble delivering.
One example: He bought bonds (millions and millions of dollars worth) from one of his companies (Solar City)… there is no way that Solar city could pay back the bonds with interest since the company was losing money… later he had Tesla buy the Solar City company (Tesla was cash rich from people buying stock in Tesla) … then his bonds paid him off with interest. Legally questionable?
The value of Tesla is more than the value of GM, yet they make 1\2 of one percent as many automobiles as GM. This valuation is from the extremely high value of the stock in Tesla… the stock is high because people are enamored with the man and haven’t looked at the company's performance."

Last edited:
Elon's participation in the advisory council always had the downside of greenwashing the trump administration, but it seemed worth it in order to influence decisions. Clearly his influence is nil to negligible, so no more greenwashing.