Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dumb are spacers?

How dumb are wheel spacers?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This past week, I briefly put on my OEM 18" wheels, which have been relegated to winter duty, after getting used to my ForgeStar CF10s over summer. Now, I wish the stance was a little more aggressive to match the character of the car... what to do? The easiest solution is to put on a set of 245/45 18" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s for the winter months (~3??) and add some 15 - 20 mm spacers... but I've never been a fan of spacers.

I'm mainly concerned about the life of the wheel bearings. I'm sure it'll affect the driving dynamics a bit as well, but I doubt that'll be anything to write home about. Thoughts pls.

I ran 60k miles on a 420 hp S5, including track weekend with no bearing failure. All my friends have them without issue. Some Porsche come from the factory with them.
If you like the look, go for it. That being said, IMHO I think they look terrible on stock 18s without lowering springs. I don’t think a tire swap would remedy the bug look.

Bearings should be fine. But 20mm is plenty. It can change the scrub radius from (I think) a slight negative to severely positive.
It'll increase steering effort, probably increase wear of power steering. And, more importantly, change car's handling characteristics. Negative scrub radius = toe-in under braking. Positive = toe-out. The latter can bite you.

I'm not worried about the safety of it - just hesitant towards doing things for cosmetics-only... especially with potential downsides. I used to have an NB Miata on which I went from +40 to +25 square and the car still handled brilliantly. I dunno.

Have seen too many cars "do the bounce" when spacers caused the bolts to snap. There's no excuse for them.

agree with this. Wheels are primarily secured by contact with the lugnut seats, not the studs. That's what keeps the wheels completely stationary. Unless the spacers are somehow locked into the wheel, they can rotate and put pressure on the sides/threads of the studs - exactly where you would not want any force to be applied.

Reactions: jerry33
I'm not worried about the safety of it - just hesitant towards doing things for cosmetics-only... especially with potential downsides. I used to have an NB Miata on which I went from +40 to +25 square and the car still handled brilliantly. I dunno.
Miatas have positive scrub radius stock. Adding more doesn't alter handling, just makes its quirks more pronounced.

BAC3031A-6752-42AC-8233-E271871485F8.jpeg
Spacers are not dumb at all. Personally I would not go more than 15 mm.

If you think spacers are dumb, please see the attached build sheet for my old 911. Factory option.

Reactions: KyleM3
...Now, I wish the stance was a little more aggressive to match the character of the car... what to do? The easiest solution is to...add some 15 - 20 mm spacers...but I've never been a fan of spacers...

I also considered adding spacers, though I too have never liked the concept. A friend who’s an executive at Discount Tire (after years of turning underperforming locations into rock stars) said flatly: Don’t.

I respect his experience and expertise, so I didn’t.

Reactions: DCsquared
5 mm is a joke tho.

Does anyone know whether the track width ends up being the same between P3D and regular Model 3s? P3D has lower offset but I know the rotors are thinner.

My point was that spacers aren’t stupid. 5mm is small, yes.

you’re overthinking this. Buy good spacers and just be happy. The differences aren’t meaningful and your wheel bearings will be fine.

Reactions: fajitamondays
Unless the spacers are somehow locked into the wheel, they can rotate and put pressure on the sides/threads of the studs - exactly where you would not want any force to be applied

No they can’t. How much clamping force do think 5 torqued lugs put on the surfaces of the spacer, wheel, and hub? The friction on these surfaces far outweigh any ability for anything to rotate. The lugs actually never see any sheer force.

Reactions: Favguy