Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dumbed down is regular Autopilot vs FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned a 2020 MXP with FSD and now have a 22 MYP without FSD. The MYP autopilot seems a little more “squirrelly” compared to my X with FSD. For example, driving South on the 405 near LAX with some of the curves. The X would stay centered with FSD but I find my Y drifts over enough in the curves to start hitting the bumps on the solid white line on the side of the road (78mph for reference). Also, if I engage autopilot in the Y on a 55mph city street, it takes off fairly well from a stop but then it seems to stall in the 20-40mph range badly enough that I have to accelerate so I don’t anger people behind me. And in general highway driving, the Y on Autopilot seems to steer just a 1/4 to 1/2 second later into an oncoming curve than I would. is this something that improves over time with machine learning, etc?

It just got me wondering how much Tesla engineers have dumbed down regular Autopilot? For example, is there a lane tracking variable that is set to 100 for FSD and 25 for regular Autopilot? That would seem like a crazy thing to do not to mention the potential liability implications if an accident occurs. I really wish Tesla would allow users to transfer FSD from previous vehicles to new vehicles. It seems ridiculous that this just goes “poof” when you sell your vehicle…Or at the very least, allow it to be re-instated on a new vehicle with a 25% of the original FSD purchase price transfer fee. That would be an easy way to generate tens of millions of dollars and ensure existing Tesla drivers aren’t tempted by Porsche, Audi, etc, etc EVs entering the market. There is no way I would ever pay $12K for FSD or even $6K for the lite version.

What are your experiences?

Last edited:
I owned a 2020 MXP with FSD and now have a 22 MYP without FSD. The MYP autopilot seems a little more “squirrelly” compared to my X with FSD. For example, driving South on the 405 near LAX with some of the curves. The X would stay centered with FSD but I find my Y drifts over enough in the curves to start hitting the bumps on the solid white line on the side of the road (78mph for reference). Also, if I engage autopilot in the Y on a 55mph city street, it takes off fairly well from a stop but then it seems to stall in the 20-40mph range badly enough that I have to accelerate so I don’t anger people behind me. And in general highway driving, the Y on Autopilot seems to steer just a 1/4 to 1/2 second later into an oncoming curve than I would. is this something that improves over time with machine learning, etc?

It just got me wondering how much Tesla engineers have dumbed down regular Autopilot? For example, is there a lane tracking variable that is set to 100 for FSD and 25 for regular Autopilot? That would seem like a crazy thing to do not to mention the potential liability implications if an accident occurs. I really wish Tesla would allow users to transfer FSD from previous vehicles to new vehicles. It seems ridiculous that this just goes “poof” when you sell your vehicle…Or at the very least, allow it to be re-instated on a new vehicle with a 25% of the original FSD purchase price transfer fee. That would be an easy way to generate tens of millions of dollars and ensure existing Tesla drivers aren’t tempted by Porsche, Audi, etc, etc EVs entering the market. There is no way I would ever pay $12K for FSD or even $6K for the lite version.

What are your experiences?
I would say my Standard Autopilot is smarter because it has radar.

I would say Autopilot V1 with that MobileEye system is even smarter still. With only a single camera. Go figure.

I can say without a doubt, FSD is the worst “system” I have used in a Tesla.