Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Early is too Early to get the Y

How concerned are you about first production Model Y?

• I'll take the Y as soon as I can get it

Votes: 122 45.2%
  • I prefer Tesla practice building the Y a bit before make the purchase

Votes: 114 42.2%
  • I have not decided if I will take early production

Votes: 34 12.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered dual motor Y to replace a ‘19 RAV4 hybrid. Purchased the RAV assuming late-20/early-21 timeline. Early production may throw a slight bump in the timeline. We’re hoping a receiver hitch for a bike rack materializes by production - as that is a deal-breaker regardless of timeline.

Last full charge was 318 miles at 18k miles. When I first got the car Tesla stated range was 310 miles for a long range RWD model.
Tesla announced owners would get an upgrade to 325 miles which happened to some but probably a minority of owners with this configuration.
I charge to 80% daily and have never super charged. Use 18" aeros for my winter tires and 18" turbine wheel the rest of the year. Overall WH/mi is 255 with winter averaging much higher.
Even temperatures in the 50's affect range..

Thank you! Quite helpful information

Doubt the price will go down since the model 3 pricing is the price floor for the Y. Seems as though the Y pricing doesn’t have any room to go lower.

I agree. The two constraints Tesla faces, battery and Fremont capacity, suggests that Tesla will be production constrained for a couple of years. This would mean fewer lower spec cars and no price cutting.

I agree. The two constraints Tesla faces, battery and Fremont capacity, suggests that Tesla will be production constrained for a couple of years. This would mean fewer lower spec cars and no price cutting.

I would imagine that to be applicable to the pick up truck, model Y shouldn't be constrained as it is 75% similar to model 3 which can be produced in "mass". Plus they will also produce Y in China (not taking into account tariffs, if any).

Reactions: spurs10
Ordered my Y last night. I figure I'm far enough back in the queue that the early kinks will be worked out before my order comes up. :)
I've wondered about this "queue". With the Model 3 it was getting a reservation to basically be in line. This time I'm curious if they will do it based off order time or if it will be more like they just start with certain cars and match up people that live the closest for a while. I imagine the early deliveries will still all be in California and move out. But still not sure about how the line will be done. That being said, I just placed my order like 2 weeks ago, so if there is a line, I'm right there with you!

"Driving America Forward Act .. " There is some chance that this might become law in 2021.. Maybe in time for Y to get $7000 tax credit.. Tesla may raise the price..

so pre-order now to lock in the price just in case.

Not going to become law unless we have a Democratic Senate and President. The people we have now want us to burn coal in our cars.