Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Early is too Early to get the Y

How concerned are you about first production Model Y?

• I'll take the Y as soon as I can get it

Votes: 122 45.2%
  • I prefer Tesla practice building the Y a bit before make the purchase

Votes: 114 42.2%
  • I have not decided if I will take early production

Votes: 34 12.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this what’s been answered before, and frankly I am too lazy to look, but if you order the Y, does it lock in your price? If they decide to raise the price or lower it for whatever reason.

I think I almost have my wife convinced.
You're protected from a price increase. If the price is less at time of delivery, you'll get the lower price.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
ordered, replacing an MB e300 4matic lease. had put a deposit on a fisker ocean figuring i would lease again for 2 years, then go electric with fisker, tesla, ford, or other. but when they announced early deliveries, decided to skip the extra lease, this will hopefully be my vehicle for a while.

Have a 2019 M3D, and am itching to replace my paid off 2018 VW Atlas with a Y. The M3 is the wife's daily so I get the Atlas during the week. Really tired of driving an ICE, and figure I have atleast a $25k trade to a MY performance, but would prefer to wait until 2021 with the hope that we will see some big developments with battery range from the Maxwell purchase. Hoping for 350-400 miles

Ordered. replace Prius Plug-in
Have a 2019 M3D, and am itching to replace my paid off 2018 VW Atlas with a Y. The M3 is the wife's daily so I get the Atlas during the week. Really tired of driving an ICE, and figure I have atleast a $25k trade to a MY performance, but would prefer to wait until 2021 with the hope that we will see some big developments with battery range from the Maxwell purchase. Hoping for 350-400 miles
i had thoughts about the new batteries too, wonder how long it will take them to show up in vehicles. on the other hand, they might show up in powerwalls too, which we have not yet installed to back up our solar, so i might not get the range but may be able to take advantage of better batteries that way.

I was planning on waiting until I could get in one since we need the 7 seater configuration and I just can't imagine it will have enough room for the family.... and I'm hoping to not buy ICE! But, I am starting to think if I wait until these things are in the showrooms, I might really be in for a long wait. I also suspect the MYs that make it to the showrooms will likely NOT be the 7 seaters. Sigh.... My dilemma.

Ordered because in 3 months I'll have 1 child driving and 2 years from now I'll have another. It won't replace anything because we have a AWD ICE Minivan that seats 7 and 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid all paid for long ago. This will be our 3rd car for all the drivers. But from a safety perspective, I had a coworker lose their son to a car accident because he fell asleep while driving after leaving a school event- off the road and right into a tree. Wasn't found for about 30 mins.
So- This car will protect my kids. We all know we did (non-intentionally) dangerous things like driving when we were too tired and we shouldn't have- and then you don't know until its too late. I'm not advocating that you should drive tired, ever- Tesla or not. I just know if a little money can reduce the risk to my kids if they make a mistake- I'm in.

My reasons are simple, the model Y is the right size for my family, it will protect them, I'm not too worried about the new-ness because its "based" off the 3, and I've always wanted a Tesla since they came out. Can't wait.

i had been planning to lease an ICE for another 2 years because by then i would have several EV choices including from Ford and others. but when the rumors started about the Y deliveries starting next month, i got on line. i don't need mine until June so hopefully...

Just ordered, but I'm hoping there are enough orders ahead of mine that the mfg. hugs are worked out.
by the way, my current daily driver is a mercedes e300, 2017. and it's full of electronic bugs. at least tesla can fix them via OTA updates. mine have not gone anywhere despite several dealer installed software updates.

• Informative
I’ll try to wait until 10K vehicles have been produced.

I’ve learned a lot over the last 5+ years with Tesla. The features that kept me from taking a model X delivery after waiting nearly a year we’re addressed within 6 months. I’m guessing that a few things will change after 10K model Y deliveries. Hopefully it will be in time for a late summer road trip.

Since I have a day 1 reservation, waiting will move someone up who cannot wait.

At the expected production rate, waiting for 10k to be produced could be about 3 weeks. Assuming they go west to east again, Houston would not get a car until much after that. California will have a huge number of cars ordered. So waiting might not be an issue.
Once production starts to hit it's stride, you'd be correct.

Likely it'll start slow, so it may take several months to hit that threshold.