Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Early is too Early to get the Y

How concerned are you about first production Model Y?

• I'll take the Y as soon as I can get it

Votes: 122 45.2%
  • I prefer Tesla practice building the Y a bit before make the purchase

Votes: 114 42.2%
  • I have not decided if I will take early production

Votes: 34 12.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incredible that ANY members of this forum, who saw what a complete cluster the Model 3 launch was wrt build quality, would be willing to purchase the earliest ones off the line. Poll currently showing 50% of people responding are willing to do that.
I'm not at all worried. We bought an S shortly after they came out (January of 2013) and a 3 early on, and are getting the Y soon. I have no hesitation.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Incredible that ANY members of this forum, who saw what a complete cluster the Model 3 launch was wrt build quality, would be willing to purchase the earliest ones off the line. Poll currently showing 50% of people responding are willing to do that.
I can't dispute the cluster that was the model 3 production launch, however I hope Tesla has learned something over the years. You pays your money, you takes your chances:)

Ordered LR AWD. Commonality with M3 gives some comfort regarding build quality on early production...not that having ordered 2/1/20 likely will get me one of the first units to be produced. (Would like to know what a reasonable expectation actually is. Salesman said maybe sometime this summer.) Replacing 2012 Mercedes ML 350, which I've enjoyed.

My rule of thumb for any car manufacturer is to wait a year before buying a new model. Also by then the 7 seat configuration will be available.
But our Model 3 VIN 00138x, delivered at the end of 2017, has been as functional and flawless as any newer ones. (With the exception of the AWD that became available subsequently.)
I would have no qualms about getting a low VIN MY.

Reactions: DanCar and Phlier
Why is it incredible?
There was a pretty big problem with cosmetic fitment and paint issues on early production run Model 3’s and Model X’s. The problems on the X actually went deeper than cosmetics, resulting in a few design changes.

But there are a few of us crazy thinkers that believe Tesla is capable of learning from their past mistakes and will avoid such issues going forward with future production releases. I know, I know, it’s crazy talk... we all know that companies can never learn from such things, and that the Y release is just going to be a nightmare for those poor, poor suckers that get an early production car.

Yup, I really feel bad for those poor folks that get in early on the Model Y.

There was a pretty big problem with cosmetic fitment and paint issues on early production run Model 3’s and Model X’s. The problems on the X actually went deeper than cosmetics, resulting in a few design changes.

But there are a few of us crazy thinkers that believe Tesla is capable of learning from their past mistakes and will avoid such issues going forward with future production releases. I know, I know, it’s crazy talk... we all know that companies can never learn from such things, and that the Y release is just going to be a nightmare for those poor, poor suckers that get an early production car.

Yup, I really feel bad for those poor folks that get in early on the Model Y.
I'll let you know how it goes.

My money is on you getting a nearly flawless vehicle that you're going to be thrilled with for years to come.

But then again, I'm one of those crazy people that think Tesla won't repeat their previous mistakes.
In a way, as a very early M3 buyer, I think Tesla was more interested in documenting and resolving issues (for us, cosmetic limited to a scratch on the chrome trim and paint overspray on the windshield) than they might be for someone months into deliveries.

As this will be our third Tesla, having a good relationship with one of the great folks at the Service Center goes a long way, too.

Reactions: Phlier
In a way, as a very early M3 buyer, I think Tesla was more interested in documenting and resolving issues (for us, cosmetic limited to a scratch on the chrome trim and paint overspray on the windshield) than they might be for someone months into deliveries.
Good to hear that they wanted to get feedback from you regarding those issues. It really seems like Elon made good on his promise to improve the cosmetic issues; my P3D- had the fewest factory defects I've ever seen on any new car I've purchased. On my car, there were two very small paint problems, both in areas that aren't easily seen. They carefully documented them in case I ever wanted them fixed.
As this will be our third Tesla, having a good relationship with one of the great folks at the Service Center goes a long way, too.
Unfortunately, the very helpful guy that I worked with is no longer with the company.

We are waiting for the Cybertruck for our second Tesla. We will be paying cash for it, so we're stashing money away every month from now until delivery day. It's funny how deep Tesla runs in our family. I've always been a car guy, but my son and wife couldn't care less. My daughter, OTOH, is a car nut like her old man. Yet Tesla is just such an exciting company with such exciting products that even my wife and son have become Tesla fans. Every member of my family is saving a portion of their income every month to help pay for the truck. I'm just amazed that my two kids are so enthralled with Tesla that they're actually saving money toward the goal of paying for the new truck.

Love your avatar pic... that's a very nice stable you have going there.

And just in case there's any doubt... my first post in response to your "why is it incredible?" question was dripping with sarcasm pointed at... well, I'm sure that is easily figured out. ;)

Tesla has a proven record of taking product quality issues very seriously, fixing them as quickly as possible in the production line, and helping owners resolve issues on delivered vehicles as quickly as they can.

If I was getting a Model Y on launch day, I would not be losing any sleep over whether or not the car would have first-run issues, at all. My crystal ball says that first-run issues with the new model will be few and far between, and the few cars that do have issues will be fixed by Tesla quickly.

Do you have an expected delivery date yet, by chance?

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude