Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How effective has Sentry Mode been?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Sentry Mode is probably still slow to roll out, but I just received 2019.5.3 on Saturday (I'm thinking it's because Tesla knows that my car had the quarter window broken into). For those who have or will receive it, how effective has this feature been for you? Are there any of you out there that still had their car broken into with Sentry Mode enabled? Are there any of you who knows that it helped prevent a break-in?

I am skeptical, but hopeful that it will a good deterrent, especially when word gets around about the feature. By the way, after legitimately opening the trunk with Sentry Mode is enabled, the alarm will go off after closing it. I'm not sure if that was the intended behavior, but I submitted a bug report just in case.

Reactions: Scrutmonkey
I just found out the Trunk/Sentry mode thing when it started blaring music when I was shopping at a Grocery Market.

i think it's a good addition. It would have been good to have some sort of motion function integrated with the internal facing camera, but disabled if Dog Mode is turned on. not sure if that's possible if they can code in motion "sensitivity" or "motion" range for it.

It;s a welcome addition IMHO, it's just a pain to have to turn it on each time by looking through the settings. i wish there was a small pop up card that can show every time you PARK.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
I just found out the Trunk/Sentry mode thing when it started blaring music when I was shopping at a Grocery Market.

i think it's a good addition. It would have been good to have some sort of motion function integrated with the internal facing camera, but disabled if Dog Mode is turned on. not sure if that's possible if they can code in motion "sensitivity" or "motion" range for it.

It;s a welcome addition IMHO, it's just a pain to have to turn it on each time by looking through the settings. i wish there was a small pop up card that can show every time you PARK.

Or just make it a feature that can be turn on via the app.

You need a couple of these to make it effective. /s
Sentry Window Decals

All kidding aside, I haven't gotten the update yet so I can't share my experience.
Didn't take long before AO got in on this! Actually, I think this is a good idea and provides an "early warning" to miscreants who may not yet have learned about Sentry Mode through their normal channels. I'd rather have static cling decals than these with single-use adhesive, but maybe someone else will come up them.

Reactions: YisSerL and Pkmmte
I don't have the latest software update yet so I can't try this, but has anyone tried putting tape on the cameras to block them when sentry mode is on to see if the alarm will still go off?
In one of tesla_raj's videos, he taped a piece of paper over one of the side cameras and Sentry Mode no longer activated the stage 1 warning when he walked by that side of his car. With that camera uncovered, walking by would activate the "HAL" warning and flash the headlights.

In one of tesla_raj's videos, he taped a piece of paper over one of the side cameras and Sentry Mode no longer activated the stage 1 warning when he walked by that side of his car. With that camera uncovered, walking by would activate the "HAL" warning and flash the headlights.

Thanks for that info. Does it seem like in it's current form, Sentry Mode could be defeated too easily?

Another thing I noticed is that sentry mode doesn't trigger from hitting the body parts and only the windows so some adjustments might be needed to detect hit and runs.

No need for the alarm to go off in a hit and run (when you are away from your car). The cameras will detect the motion of the other car, activate the first stage, and record video. The video part is the only useful feature in that situation.

what happened to trigger the alarm?