Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How effective is active noise cancelling in a car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of Tesla's partners has a concept or patent for noise cancellation. I think that coupled with double-paned windows and better insulation, noise cancellation would fix one of my biggest complaints with the Model X: wind and road noise.

Tesla audio partner DSP Concepts discusses noise cancellation tech & the future of sound in autonomous cars
Know I'm rather new to my 2021 Tesla XLR+, but outside noise is SO minimal to ANYTHING I've driven in or ridden I can't really understand need for more noise cancellation.

I bet if you went through my post history you'd find posts harping about how they don't have it. I experienced it in a 2005 Acura RL, and it was amazing, so comfortable and easy to hold a conversation, night and day compared to my vehicle at the time, which at least felt quieter than my X ever has.

It really depends on Tesla's implementation. Ventilated seats in general are awesome. Tesla's initial attempt at it in the X was awful. As with all features, the technology and manner in which it is used will determine whether it's meaningful.

I have never had any real road noise or other issues in my X. It's the quietest car I've ever driven.

It really depends on Tesla's implementation. Ventilated seats in general are awesome. Tesla's initial attempt at it in the X was awful. As with all features, the technology and manner in which it is used will determine whether it's meaningful.

I have never had any real road noise or other issues in my X. It's the quietest car I've ever driven.
Wow you got lucky. I went from a 4 series BMW with extra hard run flats to a 17 X. The X was a lot louder, squeaked and creaked inside with every bump and turn and that wasn’t even the 22”. You should have seen my family’s face when we drove it after delivery. Loved it other than that though. Nervous and excited to see what we drive off in in April.

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo
Wow you got lucky. I went from a 4 series BMW with extra hard run flats to a 17 X. The X was a lot louder, squeaked and creaked inside with every bump and turn and that wasn’t even the 22”. You should have seen my family’s face when we drove it after delivery. Loved it other than that though. Nervous and excited to see what we drive off in in April.
I don’t think ANC will help what you describe. The creeks and squeaks have a lot to do with build quality, don’t they? I hope I am wrong.

Are you referring to headphones? I wasn’t aware that aircraft cabins have ambient noise cancellation.
There are several different systems for aircraft, mostly OEM some aftermarket. I bought one for a King Air that totally transformed it! Suddenly the charter customers more than doubled and my spouse was thrilled. I actually flew without a noice-cancelling headset, having never done that before.

Well done the systems are amazing, and even th mediocre ones now installed in some cars are very effective, as people report in this thread.

I really hope they can retrofit noise cancellation tech into older Xs ?
It's doubtful that older cars could be upgraded as it would require additional sensors, microphones, speakers and possibly a new MCU.

Here's an example of how Bose QuietComfort Road Noise Control works. I assume Tesla's noise cancellation will work similarly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
It's doubtful that older cars could be upgraded as it would require additional sensors, microphones, speakers and possibly a new MCU.

Here's an example of how Bose QuietComfort Road Noise Control works. I assume Tesla's noise cancellation will work similarly.

These all work similarly. The three I know of are Silentium (a JLR supplier), Bose (already mentioned here, famous for cleverness, sometimes not so much for component quality) and Samsung (branded as Harman). All of these seem to work well, but Bose tends to want to package together with the Bose sound systems, while the other two are less rigid. Clearly integration with the sound system makes the entire project far more efficient.
Since Tesla describes fairly exotic sound system for the new S and X ti seems that is how they planned it. Tesla's apparent chosen partner is a Bose partner so... but somehow I imagine Tesla would not be overly excited about the Bose heavy handed approach.

This is a rapidly evolving field so we must wait to know. In the meantime there will be retrofits possible soon for an aftermarket supplier. That will be expensive and require some significant installation. I went through that for an airplane. It was obscenely expensive but worth it.

The update to the X includes active noise canceling as part of the new audio system. ANC works great in headsets, but I have never heard (pun intended) of one in a car. Does anyone know how effective these systems are in cars?

We have a 2014 Cadillac ELR plug-in hybrid with Bose active noise cancelling. It seems to work pretty well, although there is no way to toggle it on and off, so direct comparisons aren't really possible. Overall, the car is exceptionally quiet compared to our Model 3. If Tesla didn't think it was worthwhile, I doubt they'd be paying to license the technology from Bose.

That said, the Model 3's audio system sounds better at moderate and high volume than the Bose system in the Cadillac, but the Bose sounds better at low volumes due to their aggressive loudness.

There are several different systems for aircraft, mostly OEM some aftermarket. I bought one for a King Air that totally transformed it! Suddenly the charter customers more than doubled and my spouse was thrilled. I actually flew without a noice-cancelling headset, having never done that before.

Well done the systems are amazing, and even th mediocre ones now installed in some cars are very effective, as people report in this thread.
I had no idea. Thanks!