Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How effective is regenerative braking in recharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 is just amazing in this regard. It is also why extra car weight has nowhere near the energy consumption penalty in city driving we have come to expect from gassers

This is one of the first things I pointed out to my dad with the car. As long as you make sure to slow down with regen, you can have quite a spirited drive and end up not using that much more battery at all. On his round trip test drive of our car (indeed spirited driving), he got 152Wh/km or so - dang near the rated line.

Reactions: SageBrush
I have often wondered whether it's best to float the accelerator pedal at the 'neutral' point to coast down the hill to let momentum carry me up the following uphill, or regen down the hill to maintain constant speed, and then throttle up the hill at the same speed. The answer seems to depend on the speed and aero drag forces. in my experience, regen is more efficient going down a hill if coasting would make me exceed 45mph.
I used to think about this with my Prius, but then the stakes were much higher since I was playing efficiency games with an ICE ;)

Here are some numbers using the drag equation (with rolling forces included) for the Model 3 at the ~ speeds you mention
About 14% more power at the higher speed so breakeven would happen at ~ 86% efficient regen

Go faster ;)

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 6.39.35 PM.png

Last edited: