Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How effective is repainting scuffs on plastic bumpers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have managed to scuff my front bumper (Model3) fairly deeply on an unseen kerb on a tight turn. There is no denting, but the scuff marks are quite deep. I have been quoted £385 + VAT by a body shop to fix & respray, but I find myself wondering if repairs on plastic can really look "as good as new". I can't be the first to have this sort of accident, and I wondered if people's experience is that competent body shops really can make it look perfect, or am I wasting my money?

Black M3P, 2019 London

Sorry to here. You should be able to source a pre-painted front bumper skin from Tesla (they offer this in the US, not sure about UK and across EU). Thats probably a good option if available. They replace it within 30-45 min and done.

Otherwise, given London fog weather (even if youre recently dealing with >40C full sun anomalies), black is likely the easiest color to either a. match b. get close enough (since it will look or get soiled the moment you drive out of the paint booth, matching all other painted black surfaces).

As a last resort use this as an excuse to have your car wrapped or liquid wrapped. If you opt for liquid wrap or PPF you can simply go with a satin, semi-gloss or OE gloss finish and either just do the bumper skin (much cheaper than the OE painted bumper or a quality repaint) or the entire car (roughly the same price as a pre-painted front bumper skin from Tesla. Good luck. Report back and let us know what and how your choice works out.

Sorry to here. You should be able to source a pre-painted front bumper skin from Tesla (they offer this in the US, not sure about UK and across EU). Thats probably a good option if available. They replace it within 30-45 min and done.

Otherwise, given London fog weather (even if youre recently dealing with >40C full sun anomalies), black is likely the easiest color to either a. match b. get close enough (since it will look or get soiled the moment you drive out of the paint booth, matching all other painted black surfaces).

As a last resort use this as an excuse to have your car wrapped or liquid wrapped. If you opt for liquid wrap or PPF you can simply go with a satin, semi-gloss or OE gloss finish and either just do the bumper skin (much cheaper than the OE painted bumper or a quality repaint) or the entire car (roughly the same price as a pre-painted front bumper skin from Tesla. Good luck. Report back and let us know what and how your choice works out.
Bumper skin, what a great idea, first I've heard of it! I will look into that, and speak to Tesla too, they might be cheaper than the bodyshop.

Many thanks, but I do have to correct you on one point - no fogs on London, you're at least 50 years out of date, LOL! There used to be, true, but since retirement of coal-burning power stations and domestic use, and various Clean Air Acts, there hasn't been a serious fog in London since 1963! Nor anyhting minor I recall in 50 years! That view of London is as out of date as we Brits thinking every American rides a horse and carries a gun! Though maybe not so wrong on the last point, LOL 🤣

Ha thanks for that, although I am European (born and raised behind the iron curtain), it has been at least 20 years since I visited London town and indeed typically out of date by 40+ years with how I remember the British Isles. Maybe its for the best.

Interestingly the term 'bumper skin' was coined and is in official use by the automotive industry here in the US. Its a good description of the plastic fantastic that covers the real crush beam 'bumpers' found on modern cars. They use it when referring to either the front or back.

Reactions: adrianL
I had a pretty bad scrape in my front bumper fixed by having it removed sanded and completely repainted. It looks good as new from my perspective.

Model 3, scratches on front bumper: repair or replace?
Just took deliver and have a scratch on the front bumper the size of a quarter and a dent/scrape size of a nickel (both past clear coat). How big was your scrape on the bumper and did they respray the hole bumper? We’re you given the option to get a new pre-painted one?
I’m pretty sure they’ll re-spray the a-pillar

Attachments

• 6BB162B6-4BDE-4717-8BC2-BEF594B64579.jpeg
    6BB162B6-4BDE-4717-8BC2-BEF594B64579.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 50
  • D5808937-55E0-40A0-803C-3B21F08ED633.jpeg
    D5808937-55E0-40A0-803C-3B21F08ED633.jpeg
    657 KB · Views: 30
  • 6512520F-BB6B-4F4A-868A-9F4B71E72226.jpeg
    6512520F-BB6B-4F4A-868A-9F4B71E72226.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 28
How big was your scrape on the bumper and did they respray the hole bumper?

I think the photo in the post I linked to provides a good picture of the size of the scrape. The scratches were pretty bad but none more than about 1/16 inch deep.

The bumper was removed, sanded and smoothed and entirely repainted.

We’re you given the option to get a new pre-painted one?

I took the car to two Tesla certified body shops for estimates and neither brought up the option of putting on a new pre-painted one. Personally, based on what I paid, I think it would have been more expensive to install a new bumper.