Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How effective is the Heat Pump in new Model 3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I own a 2019 M3 SR+ with a resistive heater. In the London area, we can experience winter cold snaps of -25C. My heater, being resistive, seems to conquer the cold. However I am contemplating purchasing a 2022 M3 LR with a heat pump. Does anyone have experience with their Model 3 (or Y) running a heat pump at these temperatures? In light of all the current discussions about failed heat pumps at extreme winter temperatures, I’m wondering if I shouldn’t put off my purchase until the dust (or heat pumps) settles…. Any thoughts appreciated. I don’t want a new Tesla with heating headaches!

Reactions: illiniknick
My own personal action would be to delay until things get sorted out. At least two government agencies are looking at this as a safety issue. I realize that even if you ordered now it would be some months before delivery but there really has been no tangible progress made on the issue. It seems that Tesla is trying to fix an engineering problem with software and it doesn't appear to be working.

Upvote 0
My own personal action would be to delay until things get sorted out. At least two government agencies are looking at this as a safety issue. I realize that even if you ordered now it would be some months before delivery but there really has been no tangible progress made on the issue. It seems that Tesla is trying to fix an engineering problem with software and it doesn't appear to be working.
Hello, DeepFrz. Your name is apt under the circumstances. I think you’ve nailed it, perhaps putting the last nail in my purchase plans As a consumer, I’m put off by the flailing of a company known for tech. I also read somewhere that original plans called for two back-up low wattage resistive heaters for heat pump cars. Where are they?

Upvote 0
If and when they do sort out the heat pump quitting, it does make plenty of heat to keep the cabin warm. I've driven at -35°C and it keeps it toasty.

I do not like how loud the heat pump is though when it's cold. Tesla dumps a ton of power into the compressor to use it as a heat source and it is very loud. I wish they had a PTC heater as well. The energy benefits of the heat pump drop off dramatically when it is colder than -10°C. There's not enough ambient heat to move. If they had another source of heat they could tap into rather than just running the compressor at full power it would help a lot with the noise. I am concerned with the life of the compressor even if they do get the issue fixed that is causing it to stop working.

It literally vibrates the steering wheel. At a stop light everyone around me must be wondering what the hell is going on because it's very loud.

This winter has been really cold so it's been very noticeable.

So it does make plenty of heat, but the way it makes it is not a great user experience. If you just have a day or two at -25°C it might not be an issue. We can get cold snaps that are -30°C to -40°C that can last 4-6 weeks.

I actually really like the idea of an EV in the winter because it always starts and the heat comes on almost instantly, but I really wish they had done a better job with the HVAC. Tesla, at least in my opinion, tends to overthink things to save a component or two. The heat pump is definitely something the car needs, but it should have had supplemental heat as well.

Upvote 0