Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far are you willing to keep your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wheel / tire combos like this are not made for bad roads. I know this has happened to Tesla test cars on bad roads near me. Some parts of NJ have really bad road hazards, I would not drive on this setup in the Bay Area as the roads here are getting worse. Clearly you do not have much experience with low profile tires let alone ones like this and since you are selling the car it seems pretty moot. These is a simple solution path noted above. In fact I'm sure someone with a new set of 19" or Tesla 18" wheels would trade you for yours in a heartbeat.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

Last edited:
PSA Alert.

Here is LA, we are plagued with potholes(due to bureaucratic BS, IMO) and it doesnt matter if you drive a race car or a big semi truck, Pot holes are the devil and will eventually damage critical components from wheels, tires to even suspension pieces to even cracking your windshield (all of these have happened to me)

There is a fundamental driving style change that needs to happen regardless of what vehicle you have driven previously and needs to progress to defensive driving where you avoid potholes/road dips/debris/leprechauns versus drive over them.

Your car and your wallet/bank account will thank you( and me) for it later
While I agree with you, I am curious ...
So you don't use auto pilot in LA traffic since it won't avoid potholes?

By the way, didn't voters approve proposition 69 and agree to higher taxes solely for road repairs? And didn't they subsequently vote to NOT repeal SB1 (another gas tax) by voting NO on prop 6? Seems like Californians are paying plenty of additional monies toward road repairs in taxes that other states don't require to keep their roads repaired and yet the roads are hazards.....

By the way, didn't voters approve proposition 69 and agree to higher taxes solely for road repairs? And didn't they subsequently vote to NOT repeal SB1 (another gas tax) by voting NO on prop 6? Seems like Californians are paying plenty of additional monies toward road repairs in taxes that other states don't require to keep their roads repaired and yet the roads are hazards.....
I live in LA too. There are a lot of pot holes but I also see dozens of crews working on roads all over town. There isn't a day that goes by I don't see a work crew somewhere in town. So I think the money is being used correctly. The problem is we have several thousand miles of road packed into the city and beyond. LA County is huge, let alone the state. Theres just too much road to cover and not even crews to fix them.

But yes you have to drive a little differently. I bought cheaper flow forged wheels for my S4 and have cracked multiple over the years and had to replace tires far too frequently. That's why I'm only buying forged wheels for my P3D. I don't want to be replacing wheels in less than a years time because of poor road conditions around town on cheap wheels. It's far more costly in the end to go cheap.

I rarely see potholes on the freeways, so that is the exception.

Side roads are another thing.

I don’t want to chime in on the political environment in LA much less California in general but I’ll make a few remarks.

There is plenty of our taxes that are supposed to be allocated toward road repair, road infrastructure etc from over 10 years ago. (Don’t get me started on the Gas tax, which not only did it get voted on as a majority, but also failed to get repealed. Public workers and their pensions didn’t help with this)

(It’s also worth mentioning that this is the 2nd Allocation of funds for roads over the past 30 years and can you guess what percentage of fund allocated for roads etc are diverted to misc pet projects that are not road related?)

Are the roads being repaired, Based on what I see, Yes.

Are the roads being repaired timely?

Negative on this but this may depend on the specific locations and I personally lost all faith in our state/local politicians.

Reactions: gilscales
Wheel / tire combos like this are not made for bad roads. I know this has happened to Tesla test cars on bad roads near me. Some parts of NJ have really bad road hazards, I would not drive on this setup in the Bay Area as the roads here are getting worse. Clearly you do not have much experience with low profile tires let alone ones like this and since you are selling the car it seems pretty moot. These is a simple solution path noted above. In fact I'm sure someone with a new set of 19" or Tesla 18" wheels would trade you for yours in a heartbeat.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

I'm sure potholes are not helping. But as mentioned a few times, those OEM 20" tires I not meant for driving in the Northeast during winter (below 35F-ish). That may compound the issue of the soft rims.

Thanks.. one of my friends had mentioned to me to go to ETD Discount Tires which they offer road hazard to existing tires, even tho you didn't purchase through them since the car is fairly new they will honor your tires from the dealer, which are about $45 to $50 per tire for road hazard versus having to pay $350 for a new tire.. totally makes sense to me but rims they will not cover
Or Tire Rack also includes road hazard protection if i'm not mistaken.

• Helpful
Reactions: Halloween81
Every car is offered roadside assistance up to 50,000 miles accessible only cover up to 50 miles to either your house or to any repair center to fix the rim or tires or Tesla dealer anything over fifty miles you have to come out of pocket Tesla does not offer road hazard coverage to the rims or tires reason why I'm in this situation but luckily I was able to find that ETD Discount Tires offers road hazard coverage two prior tires through the dealer but they will not cover your rims so any Rim damage is out of your pocket
Hey Halloween, (or anyone else) PM me if you are interested in buying my Tesla 18 inch aero's with the covers and center caps, no sensors, no tires. $200 for the set of four plus shipping, unless you feel like a road trip to a warmer climate here in Austin! I have pictures and I have shipping boxes from the 3rd party replacement set I purchased. Two of the four have some minor road rash which I show in the pictures.

Absolutely I totally agree my last car was a Toyota Corolla and I basically was driving my model 3 Performance like a Toyota Corolla were I wasn't aware that I need to maneuver and be more cautious and aware of my surroundings when driving this car now of course I found out the hard way but they're still occasions that I need to have at least 7 car links opening of a gap just so I can see and be aware of potholes being approached so I can outmaneuver myself around it

I'm with you on this. My last car was a Chevrolet Spark EV, and this car is far more sensitive to road hazards. I curbed my wheel for the first time last Saturday so yeah :(. Definitely agree these 20" rims/tires are super sensitive. I wasn't getting the Forged wheels from the referral program, I'd already be on 18s from Tsportline now.

There is plenty of our taxes that are supposed to be allocated toward road repair, road infrastructure etc from over 10 years ago. (Don’t get me started on the Gas tax, which not only did it get voted on as a majority, but also failed to get repealed. Public workers and their pensions didn’t help with this)

Are the roads being repaired timely?

Negative on this but this may depend on the specific locations and I personally lost all faith in our state/local politicians.

I think there is a lot of waste in government and that's where we should be putting more of our political attention towards. However I see the same waste in some corporations, so I think its just a symptom of larger organizations and poor budgetary practices in general rather than government in particular. Its just there is less risk in doing so in a government job.

As for the timely repairs, I think this is a local government (city level) rather than a state level. As a resident of your city, its your civic duty to complain to them if there are repairs not being done. In my city, literally the day after the election (Nov. 8th) and release of funds (Measure M), I saw the most potholed infested streets being repaired, and within a week, I didn't even have to worry about pot holes in my city. The neighboring city I drove too though, still had dozens of terrible streets even 2 years afterwards but I did see some work eventually being done. So its really city dependent.

Just a bad combination of things.

He shouldn't be using the summer high performance tire in the Winter in NJ. They turn hard in the summer, and crack easily.
The 20" rims that come with the P3D+ are soft, and they are known to bend even hitting a pot hole at low speed
The tires are low profile so not a lot of tire to absorb the pot holes

I haven't had an issue, but I haven't driven my P3D+ in well over a month.

It sits in the garage while the PNW facebook forum gets filled up with 20" P3D+ people with bent rims.

There are a ton of pot holes now so I've been driving 2nd vehicle which doesn't care about potholes.

I'm saving enough money NOT fixing/replacing tires/rims that I can save up to buy 4 18" rims plus all-season tires for use starting next fall. I'll see how the spring/summer goes on my 20" wheels with summer performance tires. I honestly don't even like looking at the tires themselves as they came with like half the tread one expects.

I kinda wish I would have gotten the P3D-, and I wouldn't had to put up with this crap.
The grass is always greener... I have the P3D- and want to get 19x9" wheels and run 245x40x19 tires. It's harder to justify it to the wife though, I have no issues with my aero wheels, but I don't really like them either. I never have, and I always wanted 19's but they were not offered. And I have to deal with these lowly brembo brakes too. To upgrade to something better than the P3D+ it's like $8000

Hello everyone.. I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance that come standard with 20in wheels...I had taking purchase of my car December 22nd 2018 and I'm at the point that I'm running out of patience due to the fact that I have had 4 blowouts already with the car.... it's bad enough that Tesla doesn't cover or offer road hazard warranty coverage to the tires or rims and that I have to come out of pocket of to pay for these damages and I'm at the point where I'm so frustrated that I'm willing to give up my Tesla to finally have a car that I can actually depend and rely on without any worries or concern of driving it anywhere, especially knowing that I have three kids...it's a damn shame it took me 4 years of hard work and sweat to finally have a decent amount for a down payment on my dream car and I can't enjoy driving it... do you know how frustrating that is .... give me some advice guys I'm at the breaking point and I really don't want to get rid of my Tesla... I love the car I don't have any issues other than the rims and tires... I am considering to downgrade to 18in wheeks, but then again I just might be in the same scenario...please help!!!
It sounds like either your roads or your driving aren’t suitable for 20s. Trade for smaller rims that’ll give you more rubber. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard about someone blowing out a tire every two weeks. My Jag had low profile tires and it was very sensitive to tire pressure. I did have a tire shred apart because I ignored a low tire pressure warning a couple hours too long.

• Helpful
It sounds like either your roads or your driving aren’t suitable for 20s. Trade for smaller rims that’ll give you more rubber. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard about someone blowing out a tire every two weeks. My Jag had low profile tires and it was very sensitive to tire pressure. I did have a tire shred apart because I ignored a low tire pressure warning a couple hours too long.

He sold his P3 on eBay already.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
The grass is always greener... I have the P3D- and want to get 19x9" wheels and run 245x40x19 tires. It's harder to justify it to the wife though, I have no issues with my aero wheels, but I don't really like them either. I never have, and I always wanted 19's but they were not offered. And I have to deal with these lowly brembo brakes too. To upgrade to something better than the P3D+ it's like $8000
You don't need a complete set of new brake hardware. Just the the MPP BBK, pads and wheels. I'm using the refund to do the same. Costing about 6k when all is said and done. The next upgrade will be sport coilovers. But that's another 3k.

Hey Halloween, (or anyone else) PM me if you are interested in buying my Tesla 18 inch aero's with the covers and center caps, no sensors, no tires. $200 for the set of four plus shipping, unless you feel like a road trip to a warmer climate here in Austin! I have pictures and I have shipping boxes from the 3rd party replacement set I purchased. Two of the four have some minor road rash which I show in the pictures.

Yea, send me some pics please..but I don't think the stock OEM 18in wheels that come on the base model will fit the performance model 3 that I have unless it was custom made from an aftermarket company

Yeah I was just never used to driving on 20 inch wheels ever in my life.. I think the second biggest wheels I ever had was on my Nissan Sentra SER spec V that had 17" and I think I only had one blow out since I had a car for almost 5 years ,so this is a real big challenge for me with these 20's plus where I live in New Jersey North there's tons of potholes and just wish that Phil Murphy strip the roads completely and not just patched them because they're bound to pop up again

Every car is offered roadside assistance up to 50,000 miles accessible only cover up to 50 miles to either your house or to any repair center to fix the rim or tires or Tesla dealer anything over fifty miles you have to come out of pocket Tesla does not offer road hazard coverage to the rims or tires reason why I'm in this situation but luckily I was able to find that ETD Discount Tires offers road hazard coverage two prior tires through the dealer but they will not cover your rims so any Rim damage is out of your pocket

Noticed you mentioned ETD Discount Tires, did you have your tires replaced there? Replacing my tires for the first time wondering if they are well informed when handling a tesla.

Have my eyes set on one particular Rim 18in that rim 18 in that tire rack offers, but the width is 8" in instead of 8.5" I wonder if that matters at all
I’m going with 18x8 rims:
Fast Wheels FC04
Will be about $900 USD shipped to Virginia.

Gonna get pilot sport 4 acoustic tires 235/45r18

You can also fit 245/45R18 on the wheel if you don’t mind an extra 2 lbs per wheel and a wider/taller tire. Also speedometer will be off by about 1MPH.

Noticed you mentioned ETD Discount Tires, did you have your tires replaced there? Replacing my tires for the first time wondering if they are well informed when handling a tesla.

Well the location that I go to is in Clifton New Jersey and they're definitely familiar with the Tesla Model 3 since I told him where to lift the car at the corner points and from there on and it's a piece of cake.. I believe they will honor the tires as long as they're probably under 4000 miles driven on they have to inspect the tires before they can offer you road hazard coverage