Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far away are we from FSD. Would you option now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First 2 minutes didnt come to a complete stop at 2 stop signs. Thats 6 demerit points.
Let me know when it follows the road rules.

Still no carnage.

I myself, at similar speed, run a stop sign every time I return home which can be up to 4 times a day. I also go over the speed limit EVERY SINGLE TIME I leave my house (ie. 4+ times per day). Haven't carnaged anyone in the last 30+ years of driving. Touchwood.

Reactions: fvb14 and Olle
In SA you will definately get booked unless the car comes to a complete stop. Fairly sure its the same in all other states too.
I mean if you actually look at the video the car is stationary before it starts creeping forward and proceeds.

Seems a bit silly to discredit an entire system because of something as small as that.

If you're going to be so pedantic about things like that I don't think you'll ever be happy with it.

I mean if you actually look at the video the car is stationary before it starts creeping forward and proceeds.

Seems a bit silly to discredit an entire system because of something as small as that.

If you're going to be so pedantic about things like that I don't think you'll ever be happy with it.
Yeah ok, but will the police and australian judiciary system agree with you on that? I see little point in a system that cannot operate within our nanny state laws, which I did not create. Also the car is not stopped before moving. The law is very specific about this revenue raiser I mean requirement, and the political debate about placing blame on the car has not yet occurred

IMHO not possible with their current hardware.
I agree... but I won't bet against Elon (despite all the crazy things he says). It seems to me current HW isn't capable, but if it is... he's probably right that the value of FSD will exceed the value of the car.

Also: people who bought FSD a few years ago have been getting free HW upgrades.

I optioned it. I think the FSD price will go up to $20k within a few months.

It's a $15k bet for:
  • Guaranteed payouts: some (limited) resale value increase (buoyed by future price increases), actually using FSD (beta) features.
  • Likely payouts: free HW upgrades to FSD computer, cameras, or other.
  • Possible payout: ~$70k value if FSD is actually achieved.

First 2 minutes didnt come to a complete stop at 2 stop signs. Thats 6 demerit points.
Let me know when it follows the road rules.
paulieP!!! FYI the car does come to complete stop. The display rounds *UP* to the nearest mile/kmh so looking it doesn't help. The complete stop only lasts for a second so it's very hard to notice in a video. I've driven FSD Beta and I can tell you 100% it comes to complete stop.

I agree... but I won't bet against Elon (despite all the crazy things he says). It seems to me current HW isn't capable, but if it is... he's probably right that the value of FSD will exceed the value of the car.

Also: people who bought FSD a few years ago have been getting free HW upgrades.

I optioned it. I think the FSD price will go up to $20k within a few months.

It's a $15k bet for:
  • Guaranteed payouts: some (limited) resale value increase (buoyed by future price increases), actually using FSD (beta) features.
  • Likely payouts: free HW upgrades to FSD computer, cameras, or other.
  • Possible payout: ~$70k value if FSD is actually achieved.

2nd hand market just does not value it, go check it out on Carsales. You will be lucky for a couple of extra thousand.

No idea about free HW upgrade, but it's unlikely if you're on the current stack which is compatible with what you've purchased.

The economics don't make sense for the software upgrade to ever recoup anywhere near the cost of the vehicle. This would suggest people would be paying $140k for a FSD-enabled base RWD in the future, in a market which is becoming increasingly more competitive for driver-assist features (which is what FSD is, at Level 2).

If you have the spare cash go for it. I have EAP and love it. However it being an investment is purely a marketing statement.

Reactions: Maximillan
2nd hand market just does not value it, go check it out on Carsales. You will be lucky for a couple of extra thousand.
Yes, that's why I said "some (limited) resale value increase".

No idea about free HW upgrade, but it's unlikely if you're on the current stack which is compatible with what you've purchased.
See here: Tesla offering Autopilot Camera Upgrades to owners with FSD capability

The economics don't make sense for the software upgrade to ever recoup anywhere near the cost of the vehicle. This would suggest people would be paying $140k for a FSD-enabled base RWD in the future, in a market which is becoming increasingly more competitive for driver-assist features (which is what FSD is, at Level 2).

If you have the spare cash go for it. I have EAP and love it. However it being an investment is purely a marketing statement.
If heated seats are worth $18/month then it seems plausible that a self-driving subscription is worth $500+/month. That would easily value lifetime FSD with no subscription at multiple tens of thousands.

Yes, that's why I said "some (limited) resale value increase".

See here: Tesla offering Autopilot Camera Upgrades to owners with FSD capability

If heated seats are worth $18/month then it seems plausible that a self-driving subscription is worth $500+/month. That would easily value lifetime FSD with no subscription at multiple tens of thousands.

The camera upgrade is for those with HW2 / HW2.5. If you are on HW3 I'm not sure we are going to see Tesla pay for a hardware upgrade when Beta runs on HW3, that is now widely available.

I'd be careful about extrapolating the subscription cost which is a different market and value proposition. It's similar to saying that you could value a new vehicle through multiplying the rental price and vehicle life.

The camera upgrade is for those with HW2 / HW2.5. If you are on HW3 I'm not sure we are going to see Tesla pay for a hardware upgrade when Beta runs on HW3, that is now widely available.
True. It's a gamble; it may or may not pay off when future Betas and future HW versions arrive, and Tesla decides what they're doing.

I'd be careful about extrapolating the subscription cost which is a different market and value proposition. It's similar to saying that you could value a new vehicle through multiplying the rental price and vehicle life.

Good point and very well said.

Reactions: bgeh