Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far away does Homelink Activate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100 yard driveway?! Geeezus
It’s odd and goes diagonal across the front of my yard. Garage is at the far right side of my lot, driveway exit is at the far left side. My front yard is basically all driveway, nice in the summer as I don’t have to mow it. Not good in the winter as it takes 30-45 min to snow blow. I’m also in a part of Alaska where the small lots are 1-2 acres, large ones are 10+.

Reactions: Halldawg
Mine works about the same as the garage door clicker. Same distance and same issues if I pull out and I can't get a good signal through the car or whatever is blocking it.

I have no issues reversing in as it triggers the garage before I can turn around to back in.

For those with, how close do you have to be for it to open? I reverse in like 95% of the time. You think it'll work?
More of the range issue depends on the garage door opener. I had a cheap (read builder-grade) that had a *great* range and external wire for an antenna that worked from halfway down the block with just about any opener. The new nice belt-drive/wifi/battery-backup/camera model with a pretty case on everything, and amazingly quiet - I have to be within about 40 feet or so.

That said, we have ours actually set at about 25 feet and it trips perfectly at the end of the driveway coming in and leaving. Essentially it trips to open as we get positioned to back into the driveway when coming home, and it trips to close about the time the front wheels hit the asphalt leaving. Going farther out seemed to miss a closing sometimes - and much more often with the new opener - (I guess depending on speed...and the front of the car being away from the house...) and although I get the notifications on closing from the unit and it will auto-close if left open, I like to see it closing in the mirror as I pull out.

We always back the 3 in, and never have a miss with where it is set, it opens about the time we get the nose of the car close to the driveway...and is opening by the time I've positioned and started to back in.

This is all good info.

Is there a button on screen where you could do it manually?
Yes. I don't have the car handy, so I can't put a picture but in the current version when we are close to the house there is a display on the lower left with a button for the house name so you can manually activate. If you don't have that popping up at all, there is a homelink icon I believe near the top....and on the control screen. If someone else doesn't chime in I will try to grab pictures for you tonight.

This is all good info.

Is there a button on screen where you could do it manually?
Yes. It has moved a few times with various updates. But here is where it is now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: 3Volts2aTes