Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far can I push back delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I understand that my wife and I will both have to be there at pickup if we want to both be on the title. But looking at the timeframe for my M3 delivery, it seems possible that it will be ready in a very inconvenient month. Do you think Tesla would let us push back delivery by two months if we ask them?

Thanks!

From what I've read here it appears that you have very little contact with Tesla until you are assigned a VIN and an ISA. Once you have the ISA as a point of contact you can try to work out a delivery time but it might result in your VIN being given to someone else. After that happens I don't know what the process is for getting another VIN.

Have you configured (and paid the additional $2500) or just have a reservation?

If you haven't configured yet, just sit on it until your closer to when you want to take delivery. Tesla may send you a couple of reminder emails but they're happy to hold on to your reservation payment and want to sell you a car.

If you've already configured, you really need to call Tesla and work it out. They won't hold a car for you for two months but they may be able to make some other arrangement.

I thought I read they will delay delivery for 7 days.

Confirmed with ISA today 10 days is max delay to take delivery from planned arrival at service center. They will re-assign your VIN/vehicle to another owner in region who chose same configuration if you can’t take delivery in these 7-10 days.

I live in Michigan and have to drive to Cleveland for delivery and there are no exceptions even in these odd circumstances.

Confirmed with ISA today 10 days is max delay to take delivery from planned arrival at service center. They will re-assign your VIN/vehicle to another owner in region who chose same configuration if you can’t take delivery in these 7-10 days.

I live in Michigan and have to drive to Cleveland for delivery and there are no exceptions even in these odd circumstances.

What happens when you get reassigned? How far back do you get pushed?

It depends on the ISA who you talk to. I was told I had 5 days to pick up or they would give the VIN to another. We weren't ready to pick up in that time frame, so I told them to go ahead and set a later date. Whether or not I'll get a car around that date remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful.

Thanks for the information, everyone!
I wanted to ask online first because that's easier than being on hold with Tesla for 30+ minutes and because I wasn't sure that they would be able to help.
(I already have an order for a number of reasons, and at the time I didn't know that both people on the title need to be present for pickup)