TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How far can you drain the battery before damaging it?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by fiksegts, Jan 9, 2013.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

#1 fiksegts, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
    Telsa says not to run down the battery too low? What is a comfortable remaining range before you risk damaging the battery? 40 miles?

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

You can operate the car safely to zero; there is a reserve below that which you cannot tap by driving (except in a "limp home" mode). It is very important, though, to plug in your car soon when the battery is low.

3. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

I just moved this topic to the right subforum and updated the topic title to make it more clear.

I also think this has been covered in other topics before.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

With my Roadster I adopted a policy of keeping a reserve of 30 ideal km (about 20 ideal miles) at all times. You never know when you might hit a detour, or your GPS invents a nonexistent highway exit ramp (yes that really happened to me). I intend to maintain that policy for the Model S, even though it has a small hidden reserve.