Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Far do Handles Deploy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a relative that's interested in the Model S, but they have concerns about the handles. Not the usual reliability concerns that are well documented on the internet and seem to have been addressed by design changes; rather they have unusually large hands and are worried about how far the handles present themselves from the face of the door. I haven't been able to find any info on this online, and don't know anyone that owns one, so I was hoping someone could provide insight here. Has anyone felt the space between the handle and the door when presented is tight for large hands? Is anyone able to provide any measurements? Thanks

I have a relative that's interested in the Model S, but they have concerns about the handles. Not the usual reliability concerns that are well documented on the internet and seem to have been addressed by design changes; rather they have unusually large hands and are worried about how far the handles present themselves from the face of the door. I haven't been able to find any info on this online, and don't know anyone that owns one, so I was hoping someone could provide insight here. Has anyone felt the space between the handle and the door when presented is tight for large hands? Is anyone able to provide any measurements? Thanks
No even close. Unless your relative is an Ogre ;) You could even grab top and bottom. Very gentle tug opens it.

The door handle on the S is not a mechanical latch, its electronic. So all you need is a slight tug once presented to get the door to electronically unlatch. You can really do it with the tip of a finger (which I do all the time once I have just cleaned the car and want to avoid fingerprints, haha).