Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far does an EV have to go before it will sell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, I pretty firmly believe all of those wringing their hands about range and recharge time are going to realize the time spent recharging on the incredibly rare long distance trip is an incredible bargain for their time compared to the cost of gasoline.

Although Elon has said he's not going to rest until every car is electric, we should all discount that as hyperbole. Only about 3% of the cars sold today are "green" (hybrids, clean diesel, ULEV), so building market share even up to 10% would be a huge win.

But this ignores the possibility of a tipping point, the point at which most people WANT the technology. Unfortunately this is very hard to predict as many factors are outside of our control. For example if suddenly gasoline became hard to get due to a refinery explosion or a war, and people had to sit in gas lines, the switch to electric cars would happen far faster than any of us could imagine. If on the other hand they find a easy way to extract shale oil and the price drops to $40/barrel we may see Tesla fold or at least be hurting for a long while as cheap gas will trump.

As for how far a car needs to go on a charge I think it is highly dependent on the charging infrastructure. For example if I can be confident that I can charge in many places with an hour long fast charge, then 280 miles is plenty far enough as most people will want to stop for a break after 4 hours of driving. But if it is going to take 10 hours to charge with a 30 amp level 2 charger, then I will say I need a 500 mile range.

Last edited:
Considering especially in the US where so many people economically live on the edge I'm guessing a few nasty gas spikes will kill the very vulnerable fueling infrastructure for ICE cars. Last time when gas spiked to $5 many gas station owners saw a huge drop in gasoline sales as well as concession items from the gas station. And their take on the gas itself is small it's the ice cream and sodas and all the other stuff that really makes their business stay afloat. That's the tipping point, when the convenience of a gasoline fill-up turns into the problem of a gasoline fill-up. North sea oil the last year has not been below $100 a barrel even including all the Euro and US troubles in 2011. Imagine what a US recovery would mean for gasoline prices...

Cobos

In view of arguments and the question "shall I... or shall I not..." (get an electric car) It is true, that mostly the range of an electric car makes people skeptical. Allow me to add a couple of thoughts:

Why not load the car on a train and have the railways extend our driving pleasure?

In Europe we have a "Carry on the Train Service" or "Auto-Train Service" for Tourist who don't want to drive long distances.
For example... "Hamburg - Vienna" is one of those offered.
The short-coming of it all, is that so far only a few cities are serviced.

Would it not be great to save on boring overland-miles when traveling interstate? It would even be greater to arrive at Your destination, stepping off the train and collect the e-car?
One is relaxed, rested and ready for work, holiday, sight seeing, visiting friends or for whichever convenience?
Would it not be great to arrive with a full battery and not immediately worrying about charging locations? (why not charge the car while on the train too?)

In my opinion, the railway service can really compliment electro-mobility. In the meantime, let the experts invent better batteries or charging systems. But for now, this could be the answer for all those in doubt.

Lets make this idea known to the responsible institutions... because the e-car future has arrived and is here to stay.

Change the scenario to 10 years in the future:
1. Gallon of gas $9+
2. Average new car MPG 45
3. Payback time: saving money in the first year
4. High speed charging: every 50 miles

New wild ass guesses for the same EVs:
1. 100 mile ( highway 80 ) range: about 40%
2. 160 mile ( highway 128 ) range: about 70%
3. 300 mile ( highway 240 ) range: about 90%
4. 500 mile ( highway 400 ) range: about 98%

This is called Europe (4 is on the way now). The LEAF in the UK is priced at about the same as an equivalent performance Golf Bluemotion TDI, so is not stupidly expensive, yet they are not exactly flying off the lots. Something else is going on.

Up thread someone said that they thought Tesla might be using an EPA light duty test. Well one other interesting data point is that the Roadster scores 211 miles on the European NEDC test. Yet that same test rates the LEAF at 109 miles vs the "EPA" 73 miles. So one car is vastly lower and the other is much higher. Maybe this allows a rough comparison between old and new EPA?

Up thread someone said that they thought Tesla might be using an EPA light duty test. Well one other interesting data point is that the Roadster scores 211 miles on the European NEDC test. Yet that same test rates the LEAF at 109 miles vs the "EPA" 73 miles. So one car is vastly lower and the other is much higher. Maybe this allows a rough comparison between old and new EPA?
See my previous post about EPA "2 cycle" vs the current EPA "5 cycle".
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ore-it-will-sell?p=92112&viewfull=1#post92112

w.jpg

We know the 245 mile number is on the older (pre-2008 model year) "2 cycle" EPA test. That's what Tesla advertised since the start. If you work from the 30kWh/100mile efficiency rating, you get 53kWh/(30kWh/100mile)=176 miles or 72% of that 245 mile number.

From the FOIA request by Smidge204 over at the Leaf forums, the EPA conversion factor between "2 cycle" and "derived 5 cycle" is 70% or higher.
Leaf: 141.69 MPGe (actual test) x 70% = 99 MPGe (sticker)
Volt: 48.44 mpg (actual test) x 76% = 37 mpg (sticker)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2433

Anyways I worked out these range numbers based on the above information (EPA2 = EPA combined 2-cycle; NEDC ; EPA5 = EPA combined 5-cycle):
2011 Tesla Roadster:
EPA2 - 245 miles
NEDC - 211.3 miles (340 km)
EPA5 - 176 miles (53kWh / (30kWh/100 mile))

2011 Nissan Leaf:
EPA2 - 104.3 miles (73 miles / 70%)
NEDC - 109 miles (175 km)
EPA5 - 73 miles

2011 Chevrolet Volt:
EPA2 - 46.1 miles (35 miles / 76%)
NEDC - 56.1 miles (83 km, Opel Ampera)
EPA5 - 35 miles

Kind of interesting the Tesla's the only one that has NEDC lower than EPA2 (although Leaf's EPA2 and NEDC is quite close). Maybe they did NEDC in standard mode rather than range mode (which, if true, would push the number to 264 miles on NEDC)?

Last edited:
....What's weird about Tesla's sticker is that their efficiency number (30kWh/100mile, corresponding to ~176-186 miles of range depending on what number you use for full capacity) had always been under the "adjusted" 2 cycle. However, somehow the EPA applied only the unadjusted 2 cycle result to get the range figure of 245 miles, rather than ~176-186 miles. So somehow Tesla got an exemption (maybe because the Roadster was available before 2008?) or the stickers we see on the internet aren't correct.

I'm pretty sure that the EPA's kWh/100 miles efficiency ratings are based on kWh extracted from the "wall" (EVSE). Also the Roadster's on-board charger is not super-efficient (it is light and powerful however, Tesla prioritized their 1.0 design correctly in my opinion). EPA's range numbers are based on the energy available from the battery and charging losses don't apply.

To calculate range from battery capacity, we need the vehicle's kWh/100 mi efficiency. I think that, this is reported on the Roadster touchscreen, but it is not reported by the EPA.

GSP

I'm pretty sure that the EPA's kWh/100 miles efficiency ratings are based on kWh extracted from the "wall" (EVSE). Also the Roadster's on-board charger is not super-efficient (it is light and powerful however, Tesla prioritized their 1.0 design correctly in my opinion). EPA's range numbers are based on the energy available from the battery and charging losses don't apply.

To calculate range from battery capacity, we need the vehicle's kWh/100 mi efficiency. I think that, this is reported on the Roadster touchscreen, but it is not reported by the EPA.

GSP
I guess I did ignore charging losses. But that would peg a full charge at 245 miles * 30kWh/100 miles = 73.5kWh. Or 72% efficiency from my other post, is it really that bad? I thought a full charge only took 60-something kWh or about 80-90% efficiency. Assuming that, 30kWh/100miles corresponds to 220-196 miles (80%-90% efficiency). That 220 number corresponds better with the 221 miles that Tesla got revised down to on the 1.0s (maybe the 1.5 bumped it back to 245 miles?).
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/letter-customers-zeev-drori

Rob Wilder says 68kWh for a full charge.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/pvev-we’re-getting-72-miles-day-sunlight-or-72-mps

Anyways, you're right that the plug-to-wheels number makes it quite difficult to figure out the full range, esp. since the EPA sticker doesn't state the electricity need for a full charge. Maybe an FOIA request is in order?