Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far does charge handle stick out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im trying to plan where to install my charger for my (hopefully soon) Model 3 delivery.
I have a 2 car garage (1 door). I currently park on the right side, which would leave the charging port in the middle of the garage.
I'm somewhat concerned of my wife pulling in the garage a little to close to my car, and possibly hitting the charge cable when plugged in.

If it sticks out to far, I may try to get her to swap garage sides with me, but I'd like to figure that out before I install a charger.

Is there anywhere that shows how far it sticks out? Im curious about the UMC charge handle, as well as a Chargepoint with J1772 adapter (not sure what charger Im getting yet). Seems like they both come out at different angles, and its hard to judge.

Thanks!

The handle part is roughly the same as the unfolded mirrors. However, you also have a thick cord to deal with that you would have to carefully route each time you plugged in to make sure it didn’t get driven over either. Not to mention having it there would probably increase the changes of someone walking into it accidentally.

If it were me I would plan on switching sides or backing in.

Reactions: SSedan
8 inch minimum clearance needed to avoid hitting it when charging BUT you won't be able to unplug. Another 2 inches minimum required to safety remove straight out, 3 inches is more comfortable.

Basically 10 in minimum if you want to give an ultimatum :p

Attachments

• IMG_3740.JPG
    IMG_3740.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Acps110 and MXWing
Thanks for the replies. I do have a lot of room, but if my wife comes in or leaves a bit hot and not paying attention, all the room in the world may not be enough. Attached is a pic, the Red car will be where the Model 3 goes, and I'd put the charger on the passenger side of that car. So no worrying about running over the cord.
She also like to swing her door wildly, so if we swapped sides, i'd most likely end up with a door ding at some point.

Also, I really don't want a chargepoint either, but the Local utility company has a pretty sizable rebate ($4500 with an EV and Chargepoint charger - and you have to use the chargepoint). There are a limited number of rebates available, if I get my car in time, its probably worth using a chargepoint. If I cant get that rebate, I'll most likely just use a UMC.

Attachments

• cars.png
    cars.png
    846.3 KB · Views: 116
Perhaps these photos will be helpful.

I plug my car in at all times when at home. I actually look forward to the day where I can have a charger with a short cord right next to the charge port and I can “one hand it”. I always seem to have stuff in my hands when getting in the car.

It does not stick out very far.

709E20B5-4CF9-41C7-9C39-28501825E137.jpeg
B2201E4D-5942-4769-9D95-6F74BD13A0FF.jpeg

Also, I really don't want a chargepoint either, but the Local utility company has a pretty sizable rebate ($4500 with an EV and Chargepoint charger - and you have to use the chargepoint). There are a limited number of rebates available, if I get my car in time, its probably worth using a chargepoint. If I cant get that rebate, I'll most likely just use a UMC.

What are the limitations of the ChargePoint? I assume there is something, for them to be giving out a pile of cash.

What are the limitations of the ChargePoint? I assume there is something, for them to be giving out a pile of cash.

As part of the deal for the rebate you give them access to the data that Chargepoint provides (charging times, frequency, etc..). The rebate is partly funded for research by the local university.

I dont want a chargepoint for a few reasons.

1) Have to use my J1772 adapter, which means I wont have one in the car (unless I move it each time I charge, or buy another for 100 bucks)
2) Tesla chargers just look nicer, and are cheaper (when the rebate is not in play)
3) Id still have to pay roughly 200 bucks above the $500 that they give for the rebate. (I can get $4500 for car/charger, or $500 for the charger). There are more rebates available for just the charger.
4) I'm still not sure how the chargepoint integrates with the Model 3 to open the charge door and unlocking to unplug. Ive seen some stuff about people questioning it, but probably a non issue once you get used to it.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Perhaps these photos will be helpful.

I plug my car in at all times when at home. I actually look forward to the day where I can have a charger with a short cord right next to the charge port and I can “one hand it”. I always seem to have stuff in my hands when getting in the car.

It does not stick out very far.

View attachment 329261 View attachment 329262

Thanks for the pics! That does help!

I’m in a similar situation. We have two Tesla’s and I park on the right side of the garage. Our electrical panel is on the left side. My wife’s charger is neatly organized and out of the way. I am currently running my charger cable on the ground and need to wait for my wife to arrive from work before I plug in, and leave for work to unplug so she doesn’t run over my cable. This is inconvenient.

I’ve been looking online and think I may have found a solution where I can hang and run my cable across the ceiling and drop it down to my car using a retractable tool pulley system to lower and raise the charger when needed and keep the cable above my wife’s car. Interestingly enough I found this potential solution on a Chevy Volt forum :rolleyes:. I’ll post pics of my setup when complete.

I’ve been looking online and think I may have found a solution where I can hang and run my cable across the ceiling and drop it down to my car using a retractable tool pulley system to lower and raise the charger when needed and keep the cable above my wife’s car. Interestingly enough I found this potential solution on a Chevy Volt forum :rolleyes:. I’ll post pics of my setup when complete.

Yes, ceiling with retractable system is the way to go - except for those of us with garage doors that block that method. But still can be done if you back in (putting charge port to rear of garage) so that the ceiling method is mounted beyond the lifted garage door.