Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far does your front door open when pressing door button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my model 3 in mid April, the two front seat doors used to open widely (about 45 degrees) when pressing the door button from inside. Now they open very slightly (less than 5 degrees), and sometimes I would need to simultaneously push the door when pressing the button to open it, just like I do with the rear seat doors.

Has anybody experienced this change of behavior? How wide does the front doors open when you press the door button in your model 3?

P.S. I am talking exclusively about the standard door opening button, not the emergency release.

If you're parked at an angle it can seem like they're opening on their own, but that's just gravity working. Pressing the button just unlatches them, use your elbow or whatever to open the rest of the way.
My thought as well. Maybe a change in parking location/position (e.g., facing downhill vs. on a flat surface or facing uphill)?

Pressing the button just unlatches them, use your elbow or whatever to open the rest of the way.

Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by unlatch (unlock?).

What I really need to know is this:

In order to open the door, do you need to press the button, and before releasing it, you push the door. Or could you press the button, release it, and then push door?

Thank you!

Reactions: Deslah

In order to open the door, do you need to press the button, and before releasing it, you push the door. Or could you press the button, release it, and then push door?

Thank you!
It doesn't matter if you press the button and release it or press and hold the button. Either way, you have to manually push the door open for egress. In other words, pressing the button simply unlatches the door and allows you to push it open. Pressing the button does not automatically swing the door open for you. Unlike the Model X, the Model 3 does not have a motorized door.

Thank you!

The front door on the model 3 (at least the 3 different ones I have been in, including my own) unlatches when you push the button, and opens maybe an inch or so (hardly enough to see it).

It does not open 45 degrees, or even 10 degrees. It barely moves.

Reactions: asianxtreme
It doesn't matter if you press the button and release it or press and hold the button.

But I think it does matter. If holding the button while simultaneously pushing the door is required, then you would have to tell your passengers every time (think of ride sharing) because that is counter-intuitive. However, if you could just press the button and release it (like you normally do with any button), then pushing the door to open it, is intuitive.

The thing is, I have experienced both in my model 3 doors. Sometimes, just pressing the button and immediately releasing it allow me to push the door and open it, and other times that does not work unless I hold the button while simultaneously pushing the door. I have just had my first visit at the service center for this issue and got conflicting answers from them. So I wanted to know the correct/expected behavior from the owners here.

Either way, you have to manually push the door open for egress. In other words, pressing the button simply unlatches the door and allows you to push it open. Pressing the button does not automatically swing the door open for you.

Yes, I got that I have to push the door either way. I am just asking a different question than the one in the topic of this thread.

Thanks!

• Disagree
The button fully unlatches the door. It's ready to swing freely just when it is pressed. Thus, you don't need to hold it down. If you're on an incline, the door will swing open just from the press and release on the button.

Pressing the button does not propel the door open beyond what releasing the latch does-- the door basically "cracks open" and the glass is lowered, thats all.

Please see this thread for similar issue: Rear doors won't open from the inside. Must hold button down to open door. | Tesla

Here is a video from a guy with the same problem:

Your original post said "front" doors, not rear doors. I have a co worker with a Model 3 who had the rear door problem with their model 3 MR ( it would not open when they pushed the button). I believe he told me it was fixed by Tesla. With that being said, as I mentioned you were talking about front doors, not rear doors, and you mentioned they opened "45 degrees" which I have never seen (at least not under its own power...). Yours must be different than mine and the other ones I have been in.

When I got my model 3 in mid April, the two front seat doors used to open widely (about 45 degrees) when pressing the door button from inside. Now they open very slightly (less than 5 degrees), and sometimes I would need to simultaneously push the door when pressing the button to open it, just like I do with the rear seat doors.

Has anybody experienced this change of behavior? How wide does the front doors open when you press the door button in your model 3?

P.S. I am talking exclusively about the standard door opening button, not the emergency release.

The button fully unlatches the door. It's ready to swing freely just when it is pressed. Thus, you don't need to hold it down. If you're on an incline, the door will swing open just from the press and release on the button.

Pressing the button does not propel the door open beyond what releasing the latch does-- the door basically "cracks open" and the glass is lowered, thats all.

Ok, thanks for confirming.

When I said it doesn't matter, I meant that the behavior is the same either way. After pressing and releasing the button or pressing and holding the button, the door is unlatched either way. Afterwards, I simply push the door open.

Thanks for the clarification.

Your original post said "front" doors, not rear doors. I have a co worker with a Model 3 who had the rear door problem with their model 3 MR ( it would not open when they pushed the button). I believe he told me it was fixed by Tesla. With that being said, as I mentioned you were talking about front doors, not rear doors, and you mentioned they opened "45 degrees" which I have never seen (at least not under its own power...). Yours must be different than mine and the other ones I have been in.

Here is my original post:
"and sometimes I would need to simultaneously push the door when pressing the button to open it, just like I do with the rear seat doors."

So to clarify, the front doors buttons "sometimes" need to be held down while pushing door. The rear doors "always" required that. That is why I compared the front doors to the rear ones.

• Disagree