Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far have you gone on 0%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I ever plan to get to 0%, but was just interested if anyone has got this low and had to keep on driving?

I think I've read on another forum 17 miles before he charged (implying it had further left)!

I start sweating if my previous ICE cars have gone into the red, so will probably never go below 25% charge in my MS.

There are many threads that go into this topic, doing a search will get you many views on this. The best advise would be try not to get that low of a soc. The wait for a tow can be very long
That said trying to never get below 25% is not necessary for anyone to adhere to

• Funny
Reactions: Ski_
THERE IS NO DRIVING RESERVE.

It makes no sense for Tesla to have a driving reserve. It doesn't help drivers (in fact it makes range calculations more complicated), it would encourage people to drive until empty which is where all the drama is, and it reduces their range claims for marketing - they want to use the largest number they can.

Telsa has repeatedly said that there is no driving reserve.

These forums have many examples of people running out at zero, and in fact a few unlucky ones have run out just before 0 (more likely if you are, say, driving fast uphill).

So there is clearly no driving reserve.

SO WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THERE IS A DRIVING RESERVE?

Because the battery does not store miles. It stores energy, and gets shut off at a certain voltage. It is very difficult to estimate exactly how many miles it will be until the battery shuts down, especially since it depends on many variables (many environmental or under control of the driver, rather than the car) that both vary and are difficult to measure. So some people will make it past 0. But it is not because there is a driving reserve; it is because they are lucky. You cannot count on going past zero. Plenty of people have not been able to do so.

Somebody even made a diagram of how the battery is used that includes a driving reserve. But that diagram did not come from Tesla, and it is not correct.

Not to mention that there is an anti-bricking buffer in the battery. You can't use it for driving - the car shuts off before you use it - but some people get confused by the word "buffer".

SO WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Charge your car BEFORE you get to zero.

Check out Bjørn Nyland's video where his X shut down several miles before reaching zero. No EV has a perfect mileage estimator. As explained up thread, the battery will shut down when it reaches a minimum voltage (on any one cell) to protect itself. How close it is to that point cannot be estimated to the exact mile.

Plug in before you get low.

GSP

I had a drive a few weeks ago that ended at my house with an estimated 0% / 1.5 miles left. I parked in my driveway and went inside for a bit before coming back to pull the car into the garage. When starting, the main screen wouldn't display anything other than the grey back ground and Tesla "T". I assume this was the car's hint to not drive any further. Luckily I don't live too far from a super charger so a few hours charge and I had enough to make it to super charger. So related to this post topic...technically I didn't drive anything past 0%. I was too scared and my wife would never let me forget it if I needed a tow.

Tesla won't let you deplete the battery to damaging levels. They shut the car down before that happens. I recently tested my p90dl for below zero range, and monitored the battery as I did so. When I got to zero miles, the battery indicated it had 4kwh of capacity remaining.
The voltage at that point was 302.9 volts, or about 3.155 volts per cell. I continued driving for another 12.8 miles at 25 mph around my neighborhood. The battery then reported 1.3 kwh remaining, and the voltage was 291.4, or 3.035 volts per cell.

In a blog post about the roadster battery, Tesla says they shut the car down when the cell voltage drops below 3.0 volts, or 288 volts for the pack. I don't know if this is still true for the model s. One of my bricks was at 2.998 volts, and the car did not shut down. It may be that the pack voltage has to drop below 288 volts, or an average over all the bricks of 3.0 volts.

In a video about his model x shutting down, Bjorn Nyland interviewed a guy who checked the can bus data as he ran his car to shutdown. He said that the car shut down when one of the bricks reach 2.5 volts which is the normal cutoff for lithium ion cells. This may be an additional precaution in addition to the 288 volts for the pack.

It appears that Tesla runs the pack down to 288 volts when it does its range test for epa data, so the epa range includes below zero miles range. That they run the battery down to 288 volts implies that they still use the 3.0 volt per cell cutoff. That would leave the remaining capacity down to 2.5 volts for anti-bricking.

Panasonic says you can bring the voltage down to 2.0 volts as long as you recharge at a much reduce rate until you get to 3.0 volts.

Last edited:
Not that I ever plan to get to 0%, but was just interested if anyone has got this low and had to keep on driving?

I think I've read on another forum 17 miles before he charged (implying it had further left)!

I start sweating if my previous ICE cars have gone into the red, so will probably never go below 25% charge in my MS.

Wow. So it happened today. It was 32 degrees outside. I parked and went into a meeting for about 1hr 20 mins. I came out and the 20 miles I had left before I went in was at 7 miles remaining. I had 6.9 miles to go to get to a supercharging station. I was at 0% with 2.5 miles or so to go. I drove white knuckled and praying the last 2.5 miles and made it to the supercharger. I was more concerned I wasn’t going to make it because of the cold weather which I believe lowers range by at least 30%. Anyway, I have a 2017 MS 75D. I was surprised at how the cold sucked that much out of the battery by it just being parked? I would think 0% meant 0% especially in the weather but I avoided being “that guy”. Would just love to know how much life it actually had left.

Thanks All

Wow. So it happened today. It was 32 degrees outside. I parked and went into a meeting for about 1hr 20 mins. I came out and the 20 miles I had left before I went in was at 7 miles

I would think 0% meant 0% especially in the weather but I avoided being “that guy”. Would just love to know how much life it actually had left.

You know that message that comes up when you park in the cold with a low state of charge saying range will be significantly reduced when the pack cools? Not just for show.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
You likely did not actually lose that many miles. A cold battery will appear to have less miles than it does which is also why you were able to go past zero.
I camped this last weekend. The first night got to 27 degrees and the next night got to 35 degrees. I arrived with 101 miles and left with 96 after 40 hours later. I have never had the dashed lines on for so long when driving out. I did shut "always connected off" and I always use range mode. I was very happy with that loss.
I have a 70D.
So I don't know what happened in your case but that is not normal 32 degree weather behavior.

Made it 8km, i.e. 5 miles, after zero when I accidentally shaved it down to -1% one night at 7°C by paying scant attention to speed.

Departed reading 23km (4.6%) of range, 17km from SuC. Drove 5km through town and 4km on Autobahn at posted speeds (of 50 and 120kmh, my crucial mistake) when range suddenly dropped from 11km to 0km, with ~8km left to go, and Nav predicting -2% on arrival.

At that point I slowed to 40kmh while breaking out in a cold sweat, as it was around midnight and I could envision a long and embarrassing wait for service, standing behind the railings with the car parked on the hard shoulder.

Luckily the last 3km were a long downhill slope so I knocked it into neutral and was able to freewheel practically into the charging slot.

On parking at SuC, IC read 0km remaining, whereas Nav still said -1% ... whoof, I don't ever want it closer than that!

Car was 5 months old with about 17,000km on clock at the time, which I presume was a factor in this fortunate outcome.

My first (recent) road trip away from home had me guided to a supercharger with only 7% remaining. That made me uncomfortable, so I stopped at a supercharger on the way to quickly get that up to about 20%. Was fine arriving home with 13%.