Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far must you drive to recover the extra cost of a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to all who've commented.

I hope to make the spreadsheet available in due course, because users would be able to see the result after inserting their own figures, e.g. for gasoline price and electricity price. It's still a work in progress (with probable future adjustments), based on a QC model of assumptions and formulas. Some simple assumptions are about maintenance cost and frequency, some are about fuel efficiency.

I think I've improved on the QC model but won't go into details here. Therefore, people should take my results as a guide only, far from definitive, keeping in mind also that the spreadsheet is intended for much more than the Model 3 in Ontario.

Some people here came close enough to the answer, since we must deal in approximations. For the Model 3 as currently configured minimally, you recover the putative 30% increase in price over an unspecified gasoline car after about 22,000 km (a year’s driving for many people).

But that’s with the big rebate. When that disappears, the distance goes to 137,000 km, 6 years’ driving for many people.

Also emerging from this work is that operation cost for the Model 3 (with simple assumptions about maintenance) is about 1/7 of the equivalent hypothetical gasoline car with gas at $1.30. At $1.15 it’s about 1/6.5.

Always remembering YMMV. And cost recovery isn’t the only element in deciding to drive an EV. For some people it doesn’t count at all.

Huh? I drive a Model 3, not an Audi.

The point I was making was that a comparable car in the class isn’t 30% less than the Tesla, it’s roughly the same price. There is no extra cost to overcome.

That's the point I was trying to make, except I might feel the Tesla is way bettah, so I don't try to compare a Model 3 with an Audi or MB. But knowing you drive a 3, no need to convince you.

Thanks to all who've commented.

I hope to make the spreadsheet available in due course, …

I've updated my data and now calculate that the currently available Model 3 recovers the 30% increase in price after approx. 20,000 km with the current Ontario rebate, and approx. 123,000 km without it. As I said, a work in progress…one difficulty is determining the fuel efficiency of a "typical" gasoline car in the same class as defined by NRCan.

Last edited:
I've worked out a way to determine approximately how far (in km) you have to drive a Model 3 to recover its extra initial cost over a comparable gasoline vehicle, assuming the M3 costs 30% more. The spreadsheet makes a few simple assumptions about fuel efficiency and repair costs. Numbers used are valid for Ontario, although it's no problem to plug in those from other provinces.

So how many km do you think you have to drive to recover the cost difference? Assume the M3 has no options other than those required currently (LR, RWD, premium upgrade).

Special commendation to anyone who comes close.

Gas vehicle, oh

My answer was going to be infinity because I already drive an EV with similar efficiency to the Model 3.

I'll have a safer, more enjoyable, better looking car when I get a Tesla but it won't save me a penny, ever.

I did a calculation, and compared to my current Acura MDX, the M3 will completely pay itself back in about 270,000km, or about 9 years of driving. I save roughly $6000 a year just on gas with the M3. It was an absolute no brainer for me.

Same.

I save roughly $7500 on just gas.

My previous vehicle was a caravan and that guzzled just $500 on commute trips (35km one way). Add in weekend city driving and the occasional out of town trip, that's an easy $7500.

I drive an Audi A4. I spend about $450 per month in gas (super) and $200/month on 407 bills. About $1000 on car maintenance service per year.
I drive about 45K per year in heavy traffic. (QEW/403)

A new loaded Audi costs about 60K. My M3 will cost about 74K. The new Audi would have been my choice had I not ordered the M3.

With the Green plate I can avoid the 407 more. With gas saving I estimate about a 3-4 year payback. Not great however when I ordered it, I expected the 14K rebate which would have made it a "no brainer". Still in year 5 and 6 I should be well ahead. This only works however if I enjoy the M3 as much as I enjoy my Audi. I think the EAP will really help me in stop and go traffic.

Plus I have grandchildren and I'd like them to have good air! :)

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck