Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far out does charging handle stick out when charging? (Tight parking spot.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all,

Can anyone help me understand how much (minimum) space I’d need to leave on the left side of my car, to give enough room for the charging handle (and cable) when charging in a parking space? Asked a different way, how many inches/centimeters does that charging thing stick out when plugged into the car?

Background: I live in a 30yo building, and my parking spot is currently outside/uncovered and tough to run electricity to. Building management is trying to find an indoor spot for me to swap to, but it’s a super tight spot. I’m concerned it won’t even have enough room for me to get in the car (will have to use Summon to solve that). But more importantly, there’s a car parked beside, and I want to know if there’s even a possibility to plug my charger into the charge port without risking them smashing it when they park next to me.

I’ve attached some photos with the current car that’s parked there (Porsche Macan, almost exactly the same dimensions) in the spot. Parking spots in Asia, gotta love how “cozy” they are ...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• BD65E166-003F-4319-B10E-547D90F94F25.jpeg
    BD65E166-003F-4319-B10E-547D90F94F25.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 1953D802-2227-473E-AB98-2A80C00B663C.jpeg
    1953D802-2227-473E-AB98-2A80C00B663C.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 55091174-A161-4316-86D8-40DBA27AB75F.jpeg
    55091174-A161-4316-86D8-40DBA27AB75F.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 193
  • BCEFC295-542F-4C75-A618-224AE0DF1CE0.jpeg
    BCEFC295-542F-4C75-A618-224AE0DF1CE0.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 201
  • AAA24DA9-2EAF-4596-BA67-D199B499436C.jpeg
    AAA24DA9-2EAF-4596-BA67-D199B499436C.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 200
Somewhere around 7"?

PXL_20221031_025156374.jpg

The handle sticks out further than that from the charge port, but the charge port is along curves towards both the top and back of the car, so the projection from the widest part of the car is only around 7".

Angles in photos can be deceiving, but it looks to me like you can make it work in that parking spot.

Upvote 0
(thread drift: ChadS: I've read/heard this from several sources. I'm not sure how it applies to EVSE charging, but you're running a lot of juice through that cord!
"Why do extension cords need to be unrolled before using?
If your extension cord is coiled around a reel, you should completely unwind it before plugging it into a power outlet in order to prevent it from fusing as the result of overheating due to electromagnetic induction.}"

• Funny
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Upvote 0
(thread drift: ChadS: I've read/heard this from several sources. I'm not sure how it applies to EVSE charging, but you're running a lot of juice through that cord!
If your extension cord is coiled around a reel, you should completely unwind it before plugging it into a power outlet in order to prevent it from fusing as the result of overheating due to electromagnetic induction.}"

No.....that isn't coiled on a reel. That's two loops, with plenty of airspace around the cable for most of its length. There's absolutely nothing to worry about.

I don't believe the >potential< problem is even electromagnetic induction, either. Rather, the wire emits heat while the cord is in use. Not much heat, but if its nestled against lots of other rounds of wire generating heat, it can add up and eventually melt the insulation.

In an AC charging circuit like the one an L2 or other standard extension cord, there's an equal and opposite flow of electrons at any moment there are any electrons flowing. These should completely cancel out any potential electromagnetic induction.

Upvote 0
Somewhere around 7"?

View attachment 869297

The handle sticks out further than that from the charge port, but the charge port is along curves towards both the top and back of the car, so the projection from the widest part of the car is only around 7".

Angles in photos can be deceiving, but it looks to me like you can make it work in that parking spot.
Thanks, Chad, and thank you for the photo with the ruler in it too. So the charge handle (and cord) probably extends 10" from the chargeport, but the model Y's haunches mean I only need 7" beyond the width of the car? I think this spot could work then, but will be quite tight.

Am trying to negotiate a move to another spot, but have to find a small-car owner who's willing to give up their spacious parking spaces to trade with mine, and most are unwilling to cooperate ...

Upvote 0
Thanks, Chad, and thank you for the photo with the ruler in it too. So the charge handle (and cord) probably extends 10" from the chargeport, but the model Y's haunches mean I only need 7" beyond the width of the car? I think this spot could work then, but will be quite tight.

Am trying to negotiate a move to another spot, but have to find a small-car owner who's willing to give up their spacious parking spaces to trade with mine, and most are unwilling to cooperate ...
Don't forget about the charge port door. The door swings up in ar arc, extends from the side of the charge port approx. 5.25" . In case you plan to use the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter, the adapter adds 1.75" to the end of the J1772 charging connector.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
Don't forget about the charge port door. The door swings up in ar arc, extends from the side of the charge port approx. 5.25" . In case you plan to use the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter, the adapter adds 1.75" to the end of the J1772 charging connector.
Thanks, jcanoe, for the reminder! As long as that chargeport door doesn't extend past the 7" established earlier, I should be safe. I wanted to sort out the minimum clearance/distance I'd need around that part of the car, as in "if I can't manage this wide a buffer on the driver's side, I can't use this parking spot and charge there". (I'll be installing the CCS2 version of the Tesla wall charger, as that's what my Model Y will come with, made in Berlin.)

Upvote 0
Thanks, jcanoe, for the reminder! As long as that chargeport door doesn't extend past the 7" established earlier, I should be safe. I wanted to sort out the minimum clearance/distance I'd need around that part of the car, as in "if I can't manage this wide a buffer on the driver's side, I can't use this parking spot and charge there". (I'll be installing the CCS2 version of the Tesla wall charger, as that's what my Model Y will come with, made in Berlin.)
Note that since I purchased my Model Y in 2020 Tesla redesigned the tail lights, charge port. My measurements (for a 2020 LRMY built in Freemont) may not exactly match the current Berlin production.

Upvote 0

I believe the Y is wider (as well as longer & taller) than a model 3. That parking spot is so tight I personally wouldn’t even consider it due to adjoining spots proximity. A 3 would give you a hairs more space.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Upvote 0

The wires in the cable are 180 degrees out of phase (residential) or 120 degrees out of phase (three phase commercial) so the induction of one wire is canceled out by the other wire. I believe the issue is heat build up.

My feeling is that it is a little close to plug in there unless you really trust the driving abilities of your neighbor. Sure you have insurance, but repairs on a Tesla take a long time…

Upvote 0
Hi, all,

Can anyone help me understand how much (minimum) space I’d need to leave on the left side of my car, to give enough room for the charging handle (and cable) when charging in a parking space? Asked a different way, how many inches/centimeters does that charging thing stick out when plugged into the car?

Background: I live in a 30yo building, and my parking spot is currently outside/uncovered and tough to run electricity to. Building management is trying to find an indoor spot for me to swap to, but it’s a super tight spot. I’m concerned it won’t even have enough room for me to get in the car (will have to use Summon to solve that). But more importantly, there’s a car parked beside, and I want to know if there’s even a possibility to plug my charger into the charge port without risking them smashing it when they park next to me.

I’ve attached some photos with the current car that’s parked there (Porsche Macan, almost exactly the same dimensions) in the spot. Parking spots in Asia, gotta love how “cozy” they are ...

Thanks in advance!
I'm assuming cars in Taiwan are left hand drive, which is same side your charging port is located. I would say if you have enough room to get in and out of the car, your charging plug sticking out will not be a problem.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming cars in Taiwan are left hand drive, which is same side your charging port is located. I would say if you have enough room to get in and out of the car, your charging plug sticking out will not be a problem.
According to Google, cars in Taiwan are left hand drive, which is same side your charging port is located. I would say if you have enough room to get in and out of the car, your charging plug sticking out will not be a problem.

Upvote 0
My feeling is that it is a little close to plug in there unless you really trust the driving abilities of your neighbor. Sure you have insurance, but repairs on a Tesla take a long time…
Look at how close the Porsche got to the wall. I don't think I could fit a piece of paper in between! So I definitely trust their driving abilities, but no I wouldn't consider plugging in in the garage.

Now technically you could unscrew and pull the charge port out of it's socket and leave dangling inside the trunk, so that you would have to leave the trunk ajar while you're plugged in. That would need some creative safeguards and look pretty ugly. Do you have to crawl through the trunk to enter and exit the vehicle?

Upvote 0