Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far should I cleanup my Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I still feel like a new owner even though it's already been ~2 years of ownership. These cars are fantastic.

I want to ship my car to Carl Medlock and have him clean up the car but I'm wondering how far is too far. Some of these quirks might be just part of a hand-built car or better to not play with.

1. Squeaks and rattles. One is in my third brake light and decently loud. Am I being overly picky here? It's not exactly a new car.
2. Horrible panel gaps on this car. My thumb can easily fit inside some. I'm not the type to care ever about panel gaps but some here are massive and wildly inconsistent. Should I just accept these gaps as part of this car?
3. The previous owners have dropped so much junk in the space under the emergency brake. I think I see multiple pens and coins down there.
4. My rear view mirror has old glue or something along the edges of it. Was this a Lotus part or Tesla part?

Would appreciate any and all advice. I don't want to overdo things and cause more harm than good, but I'm willing to go all out to clean this car up! I'm not planning to sell it, but I basically want to pretend I am where it makes sense.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're enjoying your Roadster. As someone who had mine overhauled by Medlock & Sons, you couldn't be sending it to a better place. They are meticulous, thoughtful, and very passionate about the cars.

1.) I had the same squeak above my head in my 2011. These can be remedied if you ask Medlock to take care of them. As I understand it, they install felt tape in key areas to prevent squeaks & rattles.
2.) It's very evident that the body panels like to sag as they get older, and they can be readjusted. I had my front bumper and hood readjusted there, and it looks much better than it did. Now, my 2011 makes my 2008 look like a 2008.
3.) This is a classic one. Over the years I've saved various objects found in Roadsters I've owned. A removal of the seats should make it easy to get everything out.
4.) Sadly, another factory issue with the mirrors. These can be ordered from your local Tesla service center, or from a Lotus shop. Additionally, I'm sure Medlock could install a new one while your car is up there.

I'd also recommend asking them to check on your suspension and replace anything that's needed. These cars are getting old, and it's truly noticeable when worn components are replaced or adjusted.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Roadster. As someone who had mine overhauled by Medlock & Sons, you couldn't be sending it to a better place. They are meticulous, thoughtful, and very passionate about the cars.

1.) I had the same squeak above my head in my 2011. These can be remedied if you ask Medlock to take care of them. As I understand it, they install felt tape in key areas to prevent squeaks & rattles.
2.) It's very evident that the body panels like to sag as they get older, and they can be readjusted. I had my front bumper and hood readjusted there, and it looks much better than it did. Now, my 2011 makes my 2008 look like a 2008.
3.) This is a classic one. Over the years I've saved various objects found in Roadsters I've owned. A removal of the seats should make it easy to get everything out.
4.) Sadly, another factory issue with the mirrors. These can be ordered from your local Tesla service center, or from a Lotus shop. Additionally, I'm sure Medlock could install a new one while your car is up there.

I'd also recommend asking them to check on your suspension and replace anything that's needed. These cars are getting old, and it's truly noticeable when worn components are replaced or adjusted.

Thank you so much. I felt stupid coming in here asking some of these questions and once again somebody from the community writes a friendly response. I'll contact them today and try to get this ball rolling. I'd love to get this car as "perfect" as possible.

1. Squeaks and rattles. One is in my third brake light and decently loud. Am I being overly picky here? It's not exactly a new car.

If you’re sending the vehicle to @CM_007 for squeak and rattle isolation, since he’ll already have stuff torn apart, you may want to consider having him do a Level 2 sound dampening package. They’ll install a bunch of sound dampening material under the carpet and in the doors. Makes the car much more enjoyable to drive while still letting you hear the road and motor.

If you’re willing to spend a bit more, he can drop the battery and install sound dampening material between the seats and battery. Lots of sound comes through there. I did not spend this extra amount and instead went with level 2.

I think it’s one of the best upgrades I did to #609, and it’s consistent with a package Tesla offered. Worth every penny. Car will look the same but you’ll really like your drives more.

If you’re sending the vehicle to @CM_007 for squeak and rattle isolation, since he’ll already have stuff torn apart, you may want to consider having him do a Level 2 sound dampening package. They’ll install a bunch of sound dampening material under the carpet and in the doors. Makes the car much more enjoyable to drive while still letting you hear the road and motor.

If you’re willing to spend a bit more, he can drop the battery and install sound dampening material between the seats and battery. Lots of sound comes through there. I did not spend this extra amount and instead went with level 2.

I think it’s one of the best upgrades I did to #609, and it’s consistent with a package Tesla offered. Worth every penny. Car will look the same but you’ll really like your drives more.

Thanks for mentioning. I recently stumbled upon a post from you on the same topic and wouldn't have known it existed before then. Currently torn on if I want sound deadening. The noise adds a bit of excitement especially on the highway. But it's probably bad for my ears.

I talked to Carl (I was expecting a receptionist to answer!) for maybe 20 minutes the other day. Awesome guy who really knows his stuff. I can't wait to get my car to him. Just waiting on his shipper to respond back. Once the car is shipped, I'll email him and see what else he offers. I already have him tackling 10 items. May as well address everything I can while the car is up there.

Reactions: IslandRoadster
Thanks for mentioning. I recently stumbled upon a post from you on the same topic and wouldn't have known it existed before then. Currently torn on if I want sound deadening. The noise adds a bit of excitement especially on the highway. But it's probably bad for my ears.

Oh, you'll still hear the road and the motor. You'll still have the Roadster experience. You'll be able to hear the music though, which is kinda nice. And you won't go deaf. ;) @Retiredeh has #609 now. Ask him whether he thinks he still has enough of the road sound in the car or if it's too little.

Drive the car with a decibel meter on your phone like the NIOSH one. Then get the package and drive it again. You'll hear the difference and will like it. Promise.