Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will current selling prices fall after Jan. 1 ?

How much will 2022 MY & MYP prices fall when Federal Rebates resume Jan. 1 ?

• $2k - $3k

• $4k - $5k

• $6k -$7k

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With $7,500 rebates around the corner, I'm wondering how far current prices will fall to compete with new purchases.
I will be in the market around Jan. 1 and anxious to see how much the value of used '22s AND '23s will drop.
If there is a substantial price drop, I'd probably be happy buying a '22 or '23 used model.
Makes no sense buying one now (if not absolutely necessary) if Fed rebate is around the corner.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BMWY
Used car market place is a mess right now. Huge variations in prices due to lots of variables. Prices on used tending down, and Additional Dealer Markup for popular cars are shrinking as factories begin to catch up with demand.

Go down? Based on 2019 when Tesla lost their tax credit, Tesla dropped the price of the cars. As such I expect them to raise the price of the cars by a lot when the credit kicks in, maybe not by $7,500 but probably at least $5,000.

That would increase, not decrease the price of the used cars. Indeed, what really controls this is the wait time to get delivery of a new car. That might increase when the credit goes in (unless Tesla raises prices by the full $7.5K to cancel out the credit.) If the wait time increases, that will drive up the price of used cars. If Tesla increases production that could lower the wait time and thus decrease the value of used cars.

So I can't choose any of the options in your poll. It's pretty hard to predict. Most likely prediction is they stay stable or go up a small amount. Tesla will adjust their price to match demand. Today they are selling all the cars they can make at current prices, which would suggest they might add $7,500 to the new price to keep the same net price to the buyer. However, tax credits are work, it might not be that much. Credits come a year later, too.

The tax credit for used cars is only for cars under $25K IIRC. So that's not many Teslas yet. That will create a situation where a car for $25K costs $21K but a car for $25,001 costs $25,001 which will bend the market in strange ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hexo09
Isn't the Model Y too expensive for the credit? So the thinking goes Tesla will reduce prices to allow buyers to get the credit with their purchase.

As such, I am also assuming prices are going to go down after 1st of year and am waiting to purchase then..

I'm actually looking at alternatives to model Y.
In particular, the 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV at less than half the price of a Y.
I have yet to see one in person, and at 6'4", would like to sit in one to see how comfortable I would be.
Yes, it is not comparable to the Y in many ways, but I mainly drive locally and very seldom on a highway,
so speed is not a major factor for me. I have my Corvette Z06 if I want a thrill ride.
Range is estimated at 247 miles, but that would not be a problem for me.
I plan to visit a local dealer to view and hopefully test drive one. It is definitely on my short list.
I've owned a 2021 Y so am familiar with the car. I am pretty certain that any Bolt I see will not have
to be inspected for ill-fitting panels, paint problems, interior trim fit, etc. That is the main reason I
hesitate to pre-order a new model Y.
And if Elon decides to raise prices to offset rebate, as some have suggested, and new and used prices go up,
it will make my choice that much easier.

Isn't the Model Y too expensive for the credit? So the thinking goes Tesla will reduce prices to allow buyers to get the credit with their purchase.

As such, I am also assuming prices are going to go down after 1st of year and am waiting to purchase then..
No, it has been classified as an SUV so it is well within the params.

Prices on used tending down
"Trending down" is putting it lightly.
Offers from Carvana, Driveway, etc for Model Ys are down by like $15k over the past six to nine months!

The supply and demand situation is rapidly rebalancing. If this continues, used Teslas will be an absolute bargain next year compared to new, even with the new credits factored in.

LOL, prices are only gonna go up after Jan 1 my friend. Zero chance they drop. Zero..

OP is asking about used prices. Emphasis added below.

I will be in the market around Jan. 1 and anxious to see how much the value of used '22s AND '23s will drop.

With new MYs getting a federally subsidized discount on Jan 1, there will be further downward pressure on used MY prices. How much, we shall see…

The Y is already far too expensive for current market conditions. The tax credit will let Tesla keep prices “too high” while the government does the discounting, but I think the thought of further price increases on top of that is nuts.

Used market will continue to correct - availability of tax credit on new inventory will accelerate that trend.

The Y is already far too expensive for current market conditions. The tax credit will let Tesla keep prices “too high” while the government does the discounting, but I think the thought of further price increases on top of that is nuts.

Used market will continue to correct - availability of tax credit on new inventory will accelerate that trend.
For perspective used market for ALL cars is hitting a wall by early year comparison as are houses. Not really a Tesla issue just a market, rate, and recession trend.

To all the folks talking about Tesla raising prices. Given the current economic environment I don't see how that is a good idea for Tesla. New car inventory is already building especially over the last month. Used vehicles available have skyrocketed, at least around here, in the last 30-45 days.

Tesla has already made several price increases this year and they MY is getting pretty close to the limit for the EV credit on SUV. M3 LR and P don't qualify at their current prices. Then add in the economic uncertainty and higher interest rates which serve to stifle demand and its clear to me Tesla needs this credit to boost demand. They may even need to reduce prices slightly (which they probably will not do).

Under normal circumstances I think what many folks are saying about Tesla raising prices would be true but not in this environment. If they do raise prices $5,000 that would make the MY LR $71,000 and MYP $75,000 starting. These are not 70k cars and some would argue 60k is pushing it. Tax credit or not.

Lastly, tax credits reduce the value of used vehicles because they get priced in. The thinking usually goes along the lines of "I can get $7,500 off a new one so why would I buy a used one?". I would expect further downward pressure on used values regardless of what Tesla does with prices.

As always my standard disclaimer about speculation. Nobody can say for sure what will happen and everything is subject to change.

Don't forget inflation, a 2019 Tesla at $48,000 would be $56,000 in today's dollars (according to this CPI calculator)

Attachments

• cpi-tesla-inflation-shoot.jpg
    cpi-tesla-inflation-shoot.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 82