Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will Tesla go to fix alignment issues (doors, chrome trim, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is good. The problem with the X is hard to pin points all the issues at the same time. You drive it, something needs to be fixed. You drive again, something needs to be fixed. You start to learn which issues are worth taken in to SC and which issues to just live with it.

That was the same with the S at the beginning. Lots of issues and some you don't catch right away and I had to get to Service many times. Some issues they could never fix, most were fixed, though. I kind of expected it and I can live with it because I want Tesla to succeed on a large scale. But I have to say after the experience with my Model S and all of it's small issues I did not place an order for the X and I'm still holding off until they get all the issues sorted out.

Do recent delivers also have this (wind) problem?

Any updated on your replacement X yet @ModelXBoy

I don't know if recent Xs have wind issues or not. Replacement X is still under processing. Tesla will keep me informed on that. My current X is pretty bad shape just by looking at it. Beside wind problems, I found at least 6 misaligned silver panels, rubber stripes, couple poped plastics. If you look closely, the car looks like it's been put together by you and I. Absolutely no QC what's so ever. I am pretty disappointment with Tesla initial production launch of the X. I also compared to my wife's Macan which is rock solid, everything is straight and solid as a rock. I am not so in hurry to get the replacement. I want the replacement to be right, top notch quality. My X right now quality has been subpar and very easy to spot the quality problems, you don't even have to be OCD nor with magnifying glass to see. I still have hope and faith in Tesla to get my replacement X build right. Finger crossed.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: ssq and K-MTG
I don't know if recent Xs have wind issues or not. Replacement X is still under processing. Tesla will keep me informed on that. My current X is pretty bad shape just by looking at it. Beside wind problems, I found at least 6 misaligned silver panels, rubber stripes, couple poped plastics. If you look closely, the car looks like it's been put together by you and I. Absolutely no QC what's so ever. I am pretty disappointment with Tesla initial production launch of the X. I also compared to my wife's Macan which is rock solid, everything is straight and solid as a rock. I am not so in hurry to get the replacement. I want the replacement to be right, top notch quality. My X right now quality has been subpar and very easy to spot the quality problems, you don't even have to be OCD nor with magnifying glass to see. I still have hope and faith in Tesla to get my replacement X build right. Finger crossed.

Agree re: Macan. My wife's Macan has been flawless for 13 months and was delivered perfectly.

Keeping fingers crossed that your new vehicle (and mine in two weeks) is delivered in much better shape....

Tesla service will not stop until you are 100% satisfied.
They have a great reputation and will stop at nothing. Nothing.
Even Elon and some of the management team have gotten personally involved in the car inspections.
Just ask them.
They will make it right.

Reactions: ssq
I have an X 90D, mid-1500's VIN delivered 3rd week of March. Only a few minor issues, though one is an eyesore and Tesla doesn't seem willing or able to fix on first ask at least:

1) Left front parking sensor malfunction - kept misregistering obstacles. Easily fixed.
2) Hood gaps misaligned. Easily fixed.
3) Spoiler slightly misaligned. Mostly fixed. Right side very slightly higher than the left in stowed position but I doubt anyone would ever notice.
4) Left falcon wing door misaligned. Chrome trim misaligned. The front sags slightly relative to the driver door and the rear is slightly elevated relative to the trunk and rear quarter panel. The service center said they can't adjust the falcon wing door as it would affect the seals and might result in water leaking or wind noise, but I've asked to escalate the matter. It's mainly the rear bottom that really catches the eye (3rd pic below).
(front top) IMG_8011.jpg

(rear top) IMG_8012.jpg
(rear bottom) IMG_8013.jpg

Aside from these, car is great. No wind noise. Nothing else misaligned or out of place, and I'm pretty OCD about these things (had my Model S P85D hood adjusted a half dozen times to look just right). ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Drivin and ssq
We got the exactly same problems. I have misaligned silver panels and doors are not even. My driver door also shakes sluggishly when close. My advise, don't look at the details or they will get into your head. As long as the car functions and performs as well as it should. We good.

• Funny
Reactions: Drivin
We got the exactly same problems. I have misaligned silver panels and doors are not even. My driver door also shakes sluggishly when close. My advise, don't look at the details or they will get into your head. As long as the car functions and performs as well as it should. We good.
If the misalignment were on the passenger side, I wouldn't have to keep staring at it every time I got in the car. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Drivin
Here are a smattering of exterior issues I've found with my X. Service scheduled for tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 337
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 336
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 326
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 330
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 336
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 328
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Informative
Reactions: CTemp222 and ssq
. The service center said they can't adjust the falcon wing door as it would affect the seals and might result in water leaking or wind noise, but I've asked to escalate the matter.

Tesla has great service
They will make it right. 100 percent.
Sometimes you just need to escalate or be persistent since you may have caught someone on a bad day.

Here are a smattering of exterior issues I've found with my X. Service scheduled for tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
This is exactly the same kind of stuff that is wrong with my X. I couldn't believe that the car could be so fantastic in the engineering of so many complicated components, but be so utterly lacking in more simple areas like trim. I guess you have to chalk it up to an inexperienced, recently expanded workforce working on a new model in a newly furnished area of the factory. But still, basic QC should have caught these obvious issues...

For all those with door and chrome trim alignment issues please report back whether Tesla fixed or agreed to fix it versus "that's just normal, or we can't fix it". Thanks!

I can't imagine any company would say "that's just normal". It wouldn't be normal for a 130k car...or even a 30k car.

More like it will be "we are kind of busy, can we fix this later?"

Those misalignments are
This looks like more than a misalignment, almost like a malformed door.

It's not normal for normal production cars of other brands. It's definitely normal for model Xs. My car looks exactly like that and all the Xs I saw are also like that. Just different misalignments in different positions. Some are slightly better, some are pretty bad. I consider mine on the very bad group. Every Xs I saw have misalignments, I have seen at least over 30 Xs due to the frequent trips I made to SC over past almost two months. My suggest is to ignore them. Very hard to fix due to the complex of the door and frames might be involved also. I know it sounds painful to hear to ignore an obvious issue when it's so visible, but just be logic here, how can SC fix all the misalignments when almost every part of car including Windows, silver panels, rubber striped, and doors are all misaligned or slightly off? Unless they strip the whole car apart. The best bet is have SC fix as many of them as possible and live with the rest. Also do not forget by adjusting those cosmetic eye sores might cause other unforeseeable problems later. Just keep this in mind. The less you care, the better you feel about the car. Model X is by far the best, most technological advanced car in the world right now as long as all parts are functional, not necessarily the best fit and finished car. Hopefully the newer ones out will be better in term of fit and finish.

• Disagree
Reactions: vandacca and Drivin