Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will Tesla go to fix alignment issues (doors, chrome trim, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those misalignments are

It's not normal for normal production cars of other brands. It's definitely normal for model Xs. My car looks exactly like that and all the Xs I saw are also like that. Just different misalignments in different positions. Some are slightly better, some are pretty bad. I consider mine on the very bad group. Every Xs I saw have misalignments, I have seen at least over 30 Xs due to the frequent trips I made to SC over past almost two months. My suggest is to ignore them. Very hard to fix due to the complex of the door and frames might be involved also. I know it sounds painful to hear to ignore an obvious issue when it's so visible, but just be logic here, how can SC fix all the misalignments when almost every part of car including Windows, silver panels, rubber striped, and doors are all misaligned or slightly off? Unless they strip the whole car apart. The best bet is have SC fix as many of them as possible and live with the rest. Also do not forget by adjusting those cosmetic eye sores might cause other unforeseeable problems later. Just keep this in mind. The less you care, the better you feel about the car. Model X is by far the best, most technological advanced car in the world right now as long as all parts are functional, not necessarily the best fit and finished car. Hopefully the newer ones out will be better in term of fit and finish.

This makes me kind of worried about my X

Those first few founders edition cars didn't have misalignments. Isn't it bait and switch if folks ordered the car based on what they saw at the unveiling, only to get something in a different condition?

Or... The bigger problem for me is I don't think it's fair for them to refuse to fix misalignments detected after delivery while they agree to fix misalignments identified at delivery and noted on the due bill as some folks did. That's basically punishing those of us who were trusting enough to assume that the minor cosmetic issues could be and would be fixed.

This makes me kind of worried about my X

Don't worry. As long as the doors are good. Everything else does not matter. Lol.

I love the X. I know how messed up my X is and I still love driving, sitting and enjoy every min of the car. No doublt about it. Be confident. Your X will be built better in quality. At least better than mine, which doesn't really make a statement. Lol

I have noticed a few newer X with parts not as well aligned as my old teenage Signature VIN. While I have had plenty of seat and seal issues, the exterior alignment was very good in the early days perhaps with a slower assembly process where extra time may have helped with extra care in fitting parts.

The seals on the newer X are installed with a higher quality fit that I do not have. That is very good to see and the exterior alignment can vary, so don't get concerned until you see your vehicle. Compare anything that doesn't seem right with other X cars if you can.

There are some new concerns as wear and tear occur. I have requested that Tesla Motors sell a touch up substance that can restore scrapes to the soft rubber like finish on the door interior. The soft dark material can be abraded off with a shoe scuff leaving a light lower layer that is easily visible. This appears to be a more delicate surface than Model S and I hope can be touched up with an invisible repair that blends in. I am also seeing wear at the side pillar where the seat belt buckle or clothing can scrape the same type of material at that location. This could be happening at the SC, so I might use some protective blue painter's tape when taking the car in for service.

@Mark Z Thanks Mark. I think we are all need to do some patch ups on the X regardless what Vin you have. There are minor imperfections with each and every X. The question is how tolerable are you to each situation. Some misalignments are extremely obvious like mine, I can see my dislocated silver panel from my house looking toward the car. Sad, i Know. But keep thinking positively. I created this thread: Quality feedback for Model Xs delivered after April. Hopefully we can get some very useful feedbacks on recent delivered Xs to see any quality improvements. This is going to help out future buyers or at least our hardships in going through the trouble with the current Xs helped Tesla for making better Xs going forward. To me, it does not make sense where we already constantly, repeatedly reported problems and Tesla still made the same mistake again in later builds. If so, I will be super disappointed in Tesla, which I do not want to do.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z and K-MTG
What is making me feel a little better is that I saw two MXs at a FL showroom, was able to drive one if them last weekend. I checked them both over as best as I could, and was satisfied with the fitting if the doors and panels, nothing like the photos in this thread, that would be hard to accept. I'm hopeful that those two were representative of the current QC process.

What is making me feel a little better is that I saw two MXs at a FL showroom, was able to drive one if them last weekend. I checked them both over as best as I could, and was satisfied with the fitting if the doors and panels, nothing like the photos in this thread, that would be hard to accept. I'm hopeful that those two were representative of the current QC process.

How was front window noise/air tightness & overall road noise during test?

How was front window noise/air tightness & overall road noise during test?
I drove it at speed, it had 22" wheels and was quieter and much tighter than my 2015 X5, albeit I do not have air suspension on my X5 and it is riding on 19s. No wind noise whatsoever. Doors and Windows all worked well we tried them several times and in different parking scenarios, even in a parking structure. Autopilot was impressive, we were able to take some tight curves without a problem and it even recognized when a truck came too close and encroached into my lane and cleared away from it. I am really hoping these issues that some of the early adopters have/had are no longer seen in the current production. There seems to be a sense of delayed reaction on the forums regarding what is actually happening at the factory. Last month we were hearing about a ramp up then we actually find out that as we were expecting an increase in output things were being held back for extensive QC. This is all good, we just need to take it in stride. I'm assuming things are back on track since a lot of people are getting delivery dates assigned again, just hope quality remains high during this push.

I purchased mine. So yeah, I would like the alignment and chrome issues to be fixed.

The tech at the SC just kept saying things like "it's very complicated" in regards to the FWD alignment, and even mentioned "setting expectations" of what is possible to fix. :( So that's why I'm asking in this thread.
Maybe corporate needs to explain to your tech (and/or other tech's) that their job performance is based on corporate's "expectations" on customer satisfaction.
;)

I have most all the above issues plus more. I've tried to escalate. In three days it will be two weeks. No email response. Do I need to start writing letters to Mr Elon Musk? This is starting to become more intense and serious.

In Palo Alto the cue is pretty long at SC. They have had my X a week and a day and it should make it into the bay today. My SA has been helpful and is diligently documenting the issues. I had never drove an S before and the S85 base model loaner has proven to be good fun. AP truly is a killer app though, could not imagine having a Tesla without it. Will update everybody later in the week as to their remedy for the malformed driver door frame.

Those first few founders edition cars didn't have misalignments. Isn't it bait and switch if folks ordered the car based on what they saw at the unveiling, only to get something in a different condition?
I agree that your alignment is not acceptable. Oddly enough our cars were delivered at the same time and our VINs are just a few digits different (mine is also 15xx). My car has almost perfect alignment everywhere. One FWD is just a few mm out on the back side, but nothing like the pictures shown on these pages you and others are having.

Maybe this is why Elon has slowed things down at the factory again. Something is not right here. And from what I saw on my factory tour, it seems unfathomable that cars could leave the factory, or even be constructed, with these issues. Somebody's got some splainin to do.

I drove it at speed, it had 22" wheels and was quieter and much tighter than my 2015 X5, albeit I do not have air suspension on my X5 and it is riding on 19s. No wind noise whatsoever. Doors and Windows all worked well we tried them several times and in different parking scenarios, even in a parking structure. Autopilot was impressive, we were able to take some tight curves without a problem and it even recognized when a truck came too close and encroached into my lane and cleared away from it. I am really hoping these issues that some of the early adopters have/had are no longer seen in the current production. There seems to be a sense of delayed reaction on the forums regarding what is actually happening at the factory. Last month we were hearing about a ramp up then we actually find out that as we were expecting an increase in output things were being held back for extensive QC. This is all good, we just need to take it in stride. I'm assuming things are back on track since a lot of people are getting delivery dates assigned again, just hope quality remains high during this push.

Very encouraging, thanks.

Funny, I drive a '14 X5 now (my 4th one) and think that road noise is very noticeable vs. my previous 3 (moon roof seal issue I believe). So, looking forward to a quiet X and disposing of the X5.

btw: i gather that there a few X's right now heading to Florida (including mine that is off the train). From what I understand, they go by rail to Alabama and truck to Florida.

I'm getting blackballed by my otherwise highly responsive and helpful service center. Emails to multiple levels of the local chain of command have been ignored. I have a theory that Tesla corporate has asked all service centers not to reply to requests regarding falcon wing door alignment for the time being. That's the only explanation for this odd behavior. Has anyone in recent days been successful in getting any sort of email reply regarding falcon door/trim misalignment?

• Informative
Reactions: Coolcarx and Drivin
Very encouraging, thanks.

Funny, I drive a '14 X5 now (my 4th one) and think that road noise is very noticeable vs. my previous 3 (moon roof seal issue I believe). So, looking forward to a quiet X and disposing of the X5.

btw: i gather that there a few X's right now heading to Florida (including mine that is off the train). From what I understand, they go by rail to Alabama and truck to Florida.
My X5 is a diesel, but surprisingly quite, the MX was much quieter. I think having 20" wheels instead of the 22" will help even more. Are you still picking up in Dania?

My X5 is a diesel, but surprisingly quite, the MX was much quieter. I think having 20" wheels instead of the 22" will help even more. Are you still picking up in Dania?

Since we moved to MX from X5, I can also confirm that MX is much louder. I do not think there is a wind leak but SC is taking a look at it. My car has been SC for more than a week now and then have not even started working on it despite the fact it was an appointment scheduled three weeks in advance.

I'm getting blackballed by my otherwise highly responsive and helpful service center. Emails to multiple levels of the local chain of command have been ignored. I have a theory that Tesla corporate has asked all service centers not to reply to requests regarding falcon wing door alignment for the time being. That's the only explanation for this odd behavior. Has anyone in recent days been successful in getting any sort of email reply regarding falcon door/trim misalignment?
In 2 days it will be two weeks without response for serious issues. How do they expect to be successful doing this? It seems door alignment is changing as seals break in. I can't see how the doors could ever align without more latches and adjustable stops. Perhaps the solution will be an "as is" take it or leave it contract.

Last edited:
In 2 days it will be two weeks without response for serious issues. How do they expect to be successful doing this? It seems door alignment is changing as seals break in. I can't see how the doors could ever align without more latches and adjustable stops. Perhaps the solution will be an "as is" take it or leave it contract.

I finally got a reply and got service scheduled. Not sure if the delay was just from a backlog of emails or from me emailing the higher ups. Have you had any service already and they just didn't fix the alignment issues or have you not even had a first service yet? Typical service center should have a service concierge, service rep/coordinator, shop foreman/assistant foreman, manager/assistant manager. Definitely keep going up the chain until you are satisfied.