Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will Tesla go to fix alignment issues (doors, chrome trim, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time for me to post a comparison of what was in November and the quality today. Click and look at the improvement between the teenage VIN Signature and the current tight alignment of the rear window trim next to the hatch on Model X. OTOH, there are some wider gaps in other locations and a slight alignment difference on the top edge.

IMG_4178.JPG IMG_4177.JPG

Time for me to post a comparison of what was in November and the quality today. Click and look at the improvement between the teenage VIN Signature and the current tight alignment of the rear window trim next to the hatch on Model X. OTOH, there are some wider gaps in other locations and a slight alignment difference on the top edge.

View attachment 176242 View attachment 176243

Does it seem to be more reliable and better-fit? Has significant progress accomplished?

Yes it has been improved significantly. The newest batch I saw in SC does have much better alignment and fitment, still tiny bit off but it's in my comfort zone now.

• Funny
Reactions: Drivin

I'm trying to figure out what caused this. Was the frame manufactured to wide at first? Was the trunk made too narrow? The only way to reto-fix would be to pull the trunk out to match the curve. This would be a major body shop repaint situation. Basically the same thing with the doors IMHO.

I'm trying to figure out what caused this. Was the frame manufactured to wide at first? Was the trunk made too narrow? The only way to reto-fix would be to pull the trunk out to match the curve. This would be a major body shop repaint situation. Basically the same thing with the doors IMHO.
It almost appears that the hatch was made slightly wider. If not, then the existing hatch and window chrome have improved positioning.

Since many of the early Model X had the same appearance, it will be easy for others to study the comparison. The Model S Signature has a similar gap next to the hatch that is hardly noticeable.

I will be addressing the question with the SC to get their opinion and if the factory has issued a bulletin for older Model X.

It almost appears that the hatch was made slightly wider. If not, then the existing hatch and window chrome have improved positioning.

Since many of the early Model X had the same appearance, it will be easy for others to study the comparison. The Model S Signature has a similar gap next to the hatch that is hardly noticeable.

I will be addressing the question with the SC to get their opinion and if the factory has issued a bulletin for older Model X.
I think you are correct. Maybe a simple measure could verify. The good fit hatch would have to be almost an inch greater in total width. Of course it could just be flared out with accurate initial stamping. This would have been a basic check during manufacturing. What where they thinking? Maybe have them watch an episode of American Hot Rod for how to make panels line up.

Does anyone know if repair time of "fit and finish" issues count towards the 30 days in the California lemon law?

How many days are you in? As of Monday I will be at 21 days. I think my issues fall under Value. But I am 100% Tesla will take care of it.

This is off the CA website:

The “Lemon Law”: A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) the same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) the vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if repair time of "fit and finish" issues count towards the 30 days in the California lemon law?
I think it's probably arguable either way. If Tesla's going above and beyond what they might normally consider "within tolerance", then it could be argued that this time shouldn't count against the lemon law timeframe. However, if the fit and finish issues are egregious, then the opposite argument might be more reasonable.

In my case, I think Tesla is going above and beyond on some issues while others fall into the other category.

An argument could be about the "value" (e.g. not typical that a 120k car would have such misalignment and it will impact resale value) and would apply.

They could argue that it is within tolerance, but then I expect people to ask what exactly are the specified tolerances.

How many days are you in? As of Monday I will be at 21 days. I think my issues fall under Value. But I am 100% Tesla will take care of it.

I am 25 days in the SC, nearly all fit and finish issues such as panel alignment, rattles, and scratches that were present at delivery or caused by the SC. I have to take it back in to fix some additional finish issues that the SC missed as well as fix scratches on the interior caused by the SC. My VIN is in the 1200s delivered end of Q1. The SC is always very willing to fix any issues but I do have concerns about the overall quality, reliability, and resale value of this early VIN, end of quarter Model X.

An argument could be about the "value" (e.g. not typical that a 120k car would have such misalignment and it will impact resale value) and would apply.

They could argue that it is within tolerance, but then I expect people to ask what exactly are the specified tolerances.
I think to be in the tolerance range equal to a $15,000.00 Honda Fit could be trouble for them. It blows the X out of the water on body tolerance. Keep in mind the price of Ludicrous software upgrade alone is $10,000.00.

@roser I am going to see how they fixed all my issues then I will decide what to do. I leased and still within my 90 days to return my X. Or if it hits 30 days pull the trigger on it being a lemon. At this point I believe tesla will take care of it. My first S I bought in early 13 had a lot of issues and they took care of all of them including rattles. So based on the history I have with tesla I think it will be ok.

You could also just be upfront with the SC and ask them if you are in a Lemon situation with this car. That's what I did and they really are knocking themselves out fixing my X. So if I do hit 30 days it won't be like it's a surprise to anyone.

Hope it works out for you :)

Last edited:
On a positive note, if there's a place that knows how to make lemonade out of lemons, it's the Tesla Service Center.

I think @CaliX has good advice about being up front and making it a cooperative discussion instead of having it turn into positioning. I view my Service Center interactions as an effort where we're both on the same side. We both want the car to be right, and it's in both of our best interests for that to be the case.

Reactions: FalcnX and Coolcarx
Got word today from my SA that Tesla is going to take my X back to the mother ship for the repairs. Pretty sure being across the bridge from Fremont is why my Config to Driveway time was 6 weeks, close enough to do major fixes if need be. Going to miss the X as it is a much more refined ride than the S, but the S loaner is fun.

After three weeks at the service center, my Model X is back. Most of the body issues are fixed. Some parts are still in order (center console).

Sadly, but some trim is still misaligned. In one case it's because they "fixed" the wrong side of the car. In other cases it seems impossible to actually align the trim properly.

The car is going right back to the service center, but for another reason: after taking delivery I noticed that the passenger door no longer opens. It must have failed while in service. After three weeks in the service center, they did not check all the doors before delivery.

Hopefully this won't turn into a lemon law situation, as I really like the car--but the doors must all open and close. I'm funny that way.

• Funny
Reactions: Coolcarx