Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will Tesla go to fix alignment issues (doors, chrome trim, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what mine said (first try):

Concern: Customer states: The drivers side Falcon door is out of alignment-the front is down and the rear is up.

Corrections: Door Assembly - Rear - LH - Alignment

falcon doors cannot be adjusted. if they were to be adjusted then water leaks and or wind noise will result. they are adjusted in that manner to prevent those issues.

Concern: Customer states: The drivers side Falcon door is out of alignment-the front is down and the rear is up.

falcon doors cannot be adjusted. if they were to be adjusted then water leaks and or wind noise will result. they are adjusted in that manner to prevent those issues.

It is time to go back.
Other people are able to have their alignment fixed - maybe they are just not aware of the correct way to make the adjustments

I had one of my FWD's adjusted for misalignment. It was noted on the due bill when I took delivery, and corrected on the first Service Center visit.

One issue with panel alignment is that some panels are fixed (front fenders, for instance) and some are adjustable (front door adjacent to that fender). Once you adjust one panel, you have to adjust another. If the FWD is straight relative to the rear quarter panel, which is immobile, and is also straight relative to the front door, but the front door is crooked compared to the front fender, how do you resolve that? You have to minimize the noticeable gap by spreading it between all of the mobile pieces, I suppose.

I was told that minor adjustments can be accomplished at the Service Center. Once you're impacting more than one panel, they need to send it to an authorized body shop.

I had one of my FWD's adjusted for misalignment. It was noted on the due bill when I took delivery, and corrected on the first Service Center visit.

And after correction, they look "perfect"?

One issue with panel alignment is that some panels are fixed (front fenders, for instance) and some are adjustable (front door adjacent to that fender). Once you adjust one panel, you have to adjust another. If the FWD is straight relative to the rear quarter panel, which is immobile, and is also straight relative to the front door, but the front door is crooked compared to the front fender, how do you resolve that? You have to minimize the noticeable gap by spreading it between all of the mobile pieces, I suppose.

I was told that minor adjustments can be accomplished at the Service Center. Once you're impacting more than one panel, they need to send it to an authorized body shop.

Yeah, hoping that mine isn't so far out of whack that it's impossible to fix. I don't think it is. And I think once it's in the ballpark, the chrome trim can be tweaked to hide any remaining imperfection.

We got ours on 3/31 too. We have an alignment issue with one of the FWD also.

It closes fine, but you can tell it sits high and the chrome trim doesn't align well and the door itself isn't flush/level with the rest of the roof. We noticed this when we picked up the car and they created a due bill there. Took the car in to have it inspected a couple of weeks later, and I have an appt on 5/25 to get it taken care of. We'll see what kind of job they do and how well it aligns afterwards, but they said it's likely to be a full day job.

I have the same issue with the driver's FWD (also created a due bill at delivery). Took it to the SC yesterday and they told me they had fixed it to 'specifications' but the door looks just the same :( I have to take the car back next week because they were still waiting for parts for other issues and will try to ask again about the misalignment. In a few of the issues I had they used the 'is within specifications' card so guess I have to live with that. However, I feel the door sticks out too much and I would love to have it aligned a bit better at least. Would you please give an update on your issue once you take it to the SC? Thanks!

I have the same issue with the driver's FWD (also created a due bill at delivery). Took it to the SC yesterday and they told me they had fixed it to 'specifications' but the door looks just the same :( I have to take the car back next week because they were still waiting for parts for other issues and will try to ask again about the misalignment. In a few of the issues I had they used the 'is within specifications' card so guess I have to live with that. However, I feel the door sticks out too much and I would love to have it aligned a bit better at least. Would you please give an update on your issue once you take it to the SC? Thanks!

Sure, will do!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
In addition to alignment, I wonder if anyone has had misshapen body panels fixed. For example, on my X the bulge of the driver's door and FWD are different.

In addition to alignment, I wonder if anyone has had misshapen body panels fixed. For example, on my X the bulge of the driver's door and FWD are different.
I get the feeling that all reasonable requests are being honored at this time. My suggestion is that you document and submit your reasonable requests, and your X will see a body shop visit.

Mine is in the body shop now for some alignment issues. My SC has been proactive in getting it done properly with plans to return it to me in customer-pleasing condition. Having to wait for it is annoying, and having it in the body shop is also. But it'll be worth it to get an appropriately lined up vehicle for my eagle-eyed wife.

Got my car back today. They claimed to have adjusted the falcon wing doors and brightwork "as close as could without reducing quality of body lines" but the main misalignments look exactly as they did when I brought it in. Anyone know the best way to escalate further? Is there a Northern California regional service manager I can talk to or something like that? I hate to make a fuss for something minor like this but I just feel like it's reasonably correctable.

image.jpeg

Got my car back today. They claimed to have adjusted the falcon wing doors and brightwork "as close as could without reducing quality of body lines" but the main misalignments look exactly as they did when I brought it in....I hate to make a fuss for something minor like this but I just feel like it's reasonably correctable.]

A little unbelievable that after all that you still have that "alignment".

There is always someone you can escalate to, including Elon.

You can also reach out to that one exec who is leaving. He is still there till the replacement is found so he may try to fix things on his way out.

Got my car back today. They claimed to have adjusted the falcon wing doors and brightwork "as close as could without reducing quality of body lines" but the main misalignments look exactly as they did when I brought it in. Anyone know the best way to escalate further? Is there a Northern California regional service manager I can talk to or something like that? I hate to make a fuss for something minor like this but I just feel like it's reasonably correctable.
Man. Since you live in Davis I would push them to have you take it back to the factory and have them deal with it there. That is totally unacceptable and if they can make other cars perfect there, then they should be able to do yours too.

Anyone know the best way to escalate further? Is there a Northern California regional service manager I can talk to or something like that?

Lest I speak too soon, I will wait until mine gets back from the SC on Friday. If my alignment issues look properly corrected, I'd say you should bring it to San Rafael. Staff knows what's up there.

There's also a (decent) possibility that because of the way the FWD works, it will not always line up with the driver's door. One hinges on the side, one hinges in two places on the top. Having those two door handles line up was probably not the best idea given this constraint.

Reactions: Coolcarx