Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast can they dig? Introducing the mGy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk has stated that Gary (the snail) is 14 times faster than (Godot), his tunnel boring machine. Which means that they are proceeding at 0.071 times the snail's pace. So they are currently boring at 71 milliGarys, where a milliGary is 1/1000th the speed of Gary.

This gives us a convenient number to knock around. I just did a quick search, because I know they have acquired another machine, Line-Storm. There's an expectation that it will eventually get to 140 mG, or about twice as fast. I also see mention of Proof-Rock, which they will make themselves. Well, I'm not here to cover the news; I wanted to get us a metric we can use when there's an update on the progress of the boring effort. I also think they'd appreciate having a reference like this to use over there, so if you like the idea, spread it around and see if it catches on.

When they get up to 1000 mG, they've reached their goal.

(I just realized mG is a milli Gauss [funny in a Tesla way..], so maybe we'd have to use mGy or something. I'd just write out "millGary" and leave it at that).