Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Fast Can you Deplete the Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So to get Ludicrous mode retrofit you need to show up with under 30% battery. I forgot and charged mine the night before so I woke up and had a quest to deplete my battery from 90% to 29% within 2 hours. It ended up taking about 1.5 hours and I could of done it a lot quicker in hindsight. I basically turned everything on in the car like heated seats etc..., selected Max Power and then launched at every light from South Orange County to Costa Mesa.

I started on the 241 toll road and I got it from like 87% to 50% in seriously like 10 minutes. No one was on it so I was launching up to like 90mph and then slowing back down and then doing it again. I did it from the start to the 241 to the 133 merge which is about 13 miles. It was going so quick I decided to get on the 133 and then go to the 405 N. and take that to Costa Mesa. The problem was that was in traffic and I wasn't going to drive like an idiot with cars around so for the next 13 miles I went from 50% to like 45%. I noticed Regen braking wasn't helping at this point cause of the traffic coasting so I turned it down to low.

So I got off at the exit and started launching 0-55 from every stop sign near the tesla service center. It is mostly commercial out there so it was wide open roads and nearly no one on the road. However since I didn't want to break the speed limit this was painstakingly hard to deplete cause as soon as I left off the gas regen braking kicked in and a quick launch doesn't deplete near as quick as a 0-90mph or even staying at like 85 or 90 with the foot always on the pedal.

So the first 30% took about 20 minutes and the last 20% took an hour. What I should've done was just stay on the 241 and go back and forth with no one on the road until I got to 30% and then drive the rest of the way. I probably could of got to 30% in 30 minutes. Or I could of gone all the way to the 73 which has a lot of hills and that would of helped too as I could of kept the pedal pressed the whole time up the hills.

I could of also raised the suspension and opened the pano roof and rolled down the windows for more drag, but it was cold and I didn't feel like driving high up and I figured the suspension would probably be minimal.

Any ways what tricks would you do if you had to deplete in 2 hours from 90% battery? We are always talking about how to get more range so I thought it was funny that this time my goal was the opposite.

EU cars had a document stating that the max continuous power of the cars is 69kW.

Using that at face value, you would need at minimum 85kWh/69kW = 1h14min.

Since the 100% that Tesla allows you is less than 85kWh, and you only want to empty the battery down to 30%, I guess it is certainly doable under an hour. :)

Last edited:
Sorry Officer, I had to drive this fast and have this much fun so that I could deplete my battery so that I could make the car even faster and have even more fun. I hope you don't mind!

Good for you! Though it is surprising that you could deplete the battery so quickly.

But I am curious. Why does the battery need to be under 30% to do the upgrade?

So to get Ludicrous mode retrofit you need to show up with under 30% battery.

What else requires a 30% or less charge? Tesla contacted me about some battery maintenance they want to do, and I have to make sure it's under 30%. Anyone know? Is it just any maintenance? (I plan to ask when the get my car, or when I pick up, what the heck they're doing; they were very vague and it was all via e-mail.)

I put reminders in my calendar for a few days before, telling myself not to charge - I can totally see me ignoring/forgetting, though. ;-) Good to know re. fast starts! I'll keep that + low regen etc. as a backup plan. ;-)

What else requires a 30% or less charge? Tesla contacted me about some battery maintenance they want to do, and I have to make sure it's under 30%. Anyone know? Is it just any maintenance?

Any work involving the High Voltage traction battery. It is for the safety of there workers. The process is certified to keep the work safe in case of an accidental discharge at the voltage level the battery would have at 30%. If you bring it in with a great charge, they will use a device that bleeds the energy off or they will set the HVAC to HI and leave the door open.

Another way to deplete the battery (not recommended):

Press break pedal and Go pedal at the same time.

Car does not move, but motor dissipates energy. (Obviously the energy must go somewhere, so it will be transformed to heat in the motor, thus getting the motor hot).

I used this method once to lose a few % of charge while in an underground garage. Not really a place to accelerate fast.

Best not to charge before you bring it in for service. They have always been very nice to my redteslarockit and returned it charged.

Any work involving the High Voltage traction battery. It is for the safety of there workers. The process is certified to keep the work safe in case of an accidental discharge at the voltage level the battery would have at 30%. If you bring it in with a great charge, they will use a device that bleeds the energy off or they will set the HVAC to HI and leave the door open.

Thanks for the info - also, that reminds me, I could crank the heat up AND open the windows if I forget to deplete it enough. :-D Well, I have 7.0, so cranking the heat up won't do as much as it should. . . .

The autobahn stretch was 40 km which I covered in 12 minutes averaging 200 km/h or 125 mph. Consumption was 520 Wh/km (840 Wh/mi).
520 Wh/km x 40km = 20800Wh = 20.8kWh (in 12min)

So about 35min to burn through 70% of a 85kWh battery.

Last edited by a moderator: