Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast do 70A J1772 systems charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello was searching but couldn't find any numbers. Has anyone taken note of how fast the 70A public systems work?
I was trying to take a stab at guessing based on 80A tesla system and 50A systems but those are just guesses on polished numbers.

also when using any non supercharger public charging station (I know this very's greatly) but what's your experience with plugging in when you have only used say 100miles, I know lots of public j1772 chargers are only 30a so what rate of charge could I see with only haven driven 100 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends upon the voltage present.

At 240v (single-phase or 240V center-tapped 3-ph delta), 70A should be about 52.5 rated miles per hour charge (16.8 kW).
At 208v (three-phase wye, many business/industrial settings), 70A should be about 45.5 rated miles per hour charge (14.5 kW).

(Edit: I previously listed a 277v charge rate here, but have since looked up the specs and the Model S's chargers can only handle 85-265v input, so a 277v input hot-to-neutral on a 480v 3-phase system would likely burn up the charger...)

For anything other than superchargers, I've found that SOC has no impact to charge rate. If I plug into my home 14-50 with 235 miles rated, my last 5 miles will come just as quick as the first 5 miles.

Last edited:
And remember that to take advantage of the higher speed of a 70 amp J1772 charger, you would need a dual charger set up in your Tesla since with a single charger, you'd be effectively limited to 40 amp charging continuous.

The EV project mandated 30 amp Level 2 charging

That's code for "We'll implement the mandate as cheaply as possible." so I wouldn't expect to see anything higher unless there is another mandate. Companies normally don't do more than is required (and less if they feel they can get away with it).

Note I have yet to find a J-1772 above 30 amps in the wild. While I do know some are being made they are very few and far between. The EV project mandated 30 amp Level 2 charging and it seems like Blink and ChargePoint considered 30 amps a max.

Yeah. I even confirmed this by emailing Blink Customer Service to see if they had any plans to upgrade or begin installing higher amperage stations and they told me they had absolutely no plans to increase amperage now or in the near future, for what that's worth.

Cheers.

Note I have yet to find a J-1772 above 30 amps in the wild. While I do know some are being made they are very few and far between. The EV project mandated 30 amp Level 2 charging and it seems like Blink and ChargePoint considered 30 amps a max.

There are a few 70A stations in California at Rabobank locations along Highway 101 that you can find at Recargo.com.

- - - Updated - - -

We're lucky here in Canada in that the majority of the Sun Country Highway chargers (though not all) are 70A. For other networks AFAIK they are all 30A, unfortunately.

How can you find Sun Country Highway locations? Is there a map or list of them somewhere?

There are a few 70A stations in California at Rabobank locations along Highway 101 that you can find at Recargo.com.

That's because those were originally Tesla HPC charging stations (for Roadsters), not under any government project.

The connectors were swapped out (about a year ago?) so that other vehicles using J1772 could also use. A couple of Roadster owners were caught unawares, since they didn't know it had been changed and didn't have an adapter. (And another good service story of Jake/Tesla Menlo Park driving several hundred miles to bring an adapter to one of those stranded Roadster owners.)

Resurrecting an old thread ... planning a trip.
By my math, assuming I hit typical J1772, this thread means I should expect between 6.2-7.2 kW of charging power at that J1772. Meanwhile, a NEMA 15-40 should supply 9.6kW? Is that correct? Its actually better to use a 14-50 than a typical, 30 amp J1772?

Resurrecting an old thread ... planning a trip.
By my math, assuming I hit typical J1772, this thread means I should expect between 6.2-7.2 kW of charging power at that J1772. Meanwhile, a NEMA 15-40 should supply 9.6kW? Is that correct? Its actually better to use a 14-50 than a typical, 30 amp J1772?

Typical, yes... But there are some 70 amp J1772 EVSE's out there that will deliver 18 kW

Hello from a new Model X owner / EV traveler. A question: Why don't the web-based charging networks like plugshare, chargepoint, chargehub, etc, just add Amp number to the icons on their maps? For sure HPWC, NEMA 14-50 and J1772 need them. (Don't know if DC-CHAdeMO and DC Combo vary; no experience there.) Why even show Level I; 110v/15 or 20amp i.e. household right? With a 3-6 mph charge rate, what traveler would ever 'plan' to use them? In an emergency, they're everywhere! They just clutter the map and hide the good stuff!

Anyway, if Amps were shown on each icon, we'd know in a glance the approx. charge rate and could quickly plan! I'm actually kind of shocked the EV community hasn't insisted on it!

Reactions: CSFTN
Plugshare is not a charging network. It's a crowdsourced database of charging options. The name Plugshare came from how the site started-- EV owners sharing their outlets or charging stations. You can filter the site in many ways so it only shows the options you want, but not by amps. In most places the only high amp level 2 stations are Tesla destination charging, so you might want to use Tesla's map for that.

With regard to charging networks, ChargePoint and Blink do not offer high amp level 2 charging. They're all 30A at best.

Im looking for the minimum amps the J1772 plug can tell the Tesla to charge at. I need the plug to go to 0 amps for a specific application. All I can find it how to set some level >0 amps. But if there is a minimum level of amps the controller can be set at what is it?