TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

how fast do valets need to drive?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by flodrab, Apr 15, 2015.

1. flodrab

flodrab Member

top speed in "valet mode" is 70 mph ... seems to me, if you're getting valeted you're probably in a city, and 35 would be plenty fast ... or at least make it user-adjustable ... an added benefit is it would eliminate high-speed chases in the event the car was stolen

2. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

I can understand your question. However, if I ever give in to my niece or nephew to drive the car it will be in valet mode. Yes, Tesla could have multiple modes for valet and not so experienced drivers, and probably some other circumstances as well, but judging by how long it's taken for valet mode to appear it's more labor intensive than one might think to add such modes. There's a long list of projects Tesla wants to get done.

3. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I think there should be some setting where you can specify how Valet mode works. I'd also like to see the top speed reduced.

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I was a little disappointed in the implementation. I, too, wanted the ability to set the maximum speed.

5. kevincwelch

I have a different opinion about the former, but I agree with the latter.

6. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I accidentally drove around in Valet Mode for about 20 minutes today. I did not have an opportunity to notice the difference.

The issue with using Valet Mode for "less experienced drivers" as opposed to valets, is that they would not have access to the glove box. That's were I keep my registration. In case they get into trouble (as I have at a younger age) they must have access to this. Before someone states otherwise, no, I would not leave that in the seat pocket. I want it locked away. So, options for this mode would be cool to have, though I am just happy having something.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

i would like to define the max speed. Should be easy to do.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes, that would be ideal.

9. ION eDRV

ION eDRV Member

The top speed definitely needs to be reduced in valet mode. I can't wait to have the autopilot fully implemented so I can recall my car like the Batmobile when some valet driver wants to play around in my Tesla...

10. Barry

Barry Member

Agree

11. kevincwelch

It'd be nice (perhaps I missed how) to have the Valet mode be one of the "pull-down" driver profiles and then to have it prompt for the PIN code.

12. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

That's exactly how it works.

13. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

NO! Think about this--if you can, remotely, overrule the driver's inputs and force the car's behavior, then a hacker could do the same. Do you really want a hacker to be able to force your car over a cliff?

14. ION eDRV

ION eDRV Member

Good grief Charlie Brown.... I think I'll just avoid valet parking...

15. roblab

roblab Active Member

That's exactly how I feel. I'd rather walk a few blocks than let some, uh, how can I say it, loser, play with my car. And the exercise is good for me, too. On top of that, I don't feel the need to go where valet service is offered. Just my preference.

16. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

In some places - not just city - the venue valets all cars to a lot off-site. Many times it's quite a ways down the road.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I took a local trip in valet mode the other day and I thought it was just fine. The performance edge was sawed off, and it's now worse performance-wise than giving your Chevy Malibu to the valet. Perhaps he'll drive it to "look cool" but it's certainly not going to be a performance demon for him to show off.

The issue that I have now is the valet playing with the screens, settings, etc. I'm not worried about the 70 mph aspect, I'm actually more worried about a valet messing up my settings, or my entertainment stations, or whatever. Lock it down except to the front page of the "controls" screen, IMO.

17. kevincwelch

I didn't see it in my options for the pull down.

18. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

You must be in park for the option to be in the driver profiles list.

19. gordo

gordo Member

I’m not sure why so many here are so quick to call for such complex Valet mode settings. Not to mention the additional UI complexity would effectively be wasted effort, shouldn’t the fact that it takes nearly 9 seconds to get to 60 pretty much take all the fun out of Valet already? You really want to be able to stick it to them even further by forcing it to be driven under 30mph and potentially cause an unsafe situation?

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Really?

It took me all of 10 seconds to yell, "OMG it feels like a normal car. This sucks."