TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How fast is CHAdeMO charging?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by znib, Jul 1, 2016.

1. znib

znib Member

When I'm charging on a CHAdeMO charging station using the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, will the charging speed be limited by my car's single charger (11kW) or does it bypass the car's charger, like a super charger does, and I can use the full let's say 50kW of the charging station?

2. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

It bypasses the car charger like the Supercharger. Keep in mind though that many CHAdeMO stations aren't a full 50kWh either. But if it is, the Tesla can take that full power until the battery gets high enough that it has to throttle down (just like a Supercharger).

3. Lightmatrix

Lightmatrix Member

I recently purchased one of these adaptors, looking forward to trying it out.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

when you can find a functioning chademo? about 1/3 the speed of a SpC would be my guess.

5. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Check your target station on PlugShare and read the comments, they might discuss charging speed there. Not always, but worth a look. There's a ton of variation out there. Some are 50kW and work great, some top out at 20kW or shut down due to thermal overload because the designers thought they'd only be charging LEAFs or whatever.

6. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

I used one yesterday, it was delivering 39-41KW, giving around 130-140 miles per hour of charge.

7. mmccord

mmccord Member

Most I've run into are 40 or 50kw. At that rate, if your battery is at >~60% the chademo charger is just as fast as a supercharger, because it is limited by the battery taper rather than the charger.

Charging the bottom end of the battery is a totally different comparison.

To answer your direct question, it bypasses your onboard chargers, so that doesn't matter.

8. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

At the "50 kW" CHAdeMO stations I get 41 kW in my 85 if the battery is nearly empty. As the session continues. , the power gradually increases to 47 kW at about 3/4 full. Then power tapers on the same curve as it would at a Supercharger.

The reason is a 125A current cap and the Model S charging at a lower voltage when the battery is empty. Paradoxedly, certain EVs with smaller batteries will draw higher rates from CHAdeMO. For example, the Soul EV will start at 47 kW and stay there until 80%. The same 125A, but at a higher and constant voltage.

• Like x 1
  9. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

All DC charging (Chademo and Tesla supercharging) bypass your car's charger. Chademo claims 50 kw max, but real world is more like 40 - 43 kw max.