Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast is CHAdeMO charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm charging on a CHAdeMO charging station using the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, will the charging speed be limited by my car's single charger (11kW) or does it bypass the car's charger, like a super charger does, and I can use the full let's say 50kW of the charging station?

It bypasses the car charger like the Supercharger. Keep in mind though that many CHAdeMO stations aren't a full 50kWh either. But if it is, the Tesla can take that full power until the battery gets high enough that it has to throttle down (just like a Supercharger).

Check your target station on PlugShare and read the comments, they might discuss charging speed there. Not always, but worth a look. There's a ton of variation out there. Some are 50kW and work great, some top out at 20kW or shut down due to thermal overload because the designers thought they'd only be charging LEAFs or whatever.

Most I've run into are 40 or 50kw. At that rate, if your battery is at >~60% the chademo charger is just as fast as a supercharger, because it is limited by the battery taper rather than the charger.

Charging the bottom end of the battery is a totally different comparison.

To answer your direct question, it bypasses your onboard chargers, so that doesn't matter.

At the "50 kW" CHAdeMO stations I get 41 kW in my 85 if the battery is nearly empty. As the session continues. , the power gradually increases to 47 kW at about 3/4 full. Then power tapers on the same curve as it would at a Supercharger.

The reason is a 125A current cap and the Model S charging at a lower voltage when the battery is empty. Paradoxedly, certain EVs with smaller batteries will draw higher rates from CHAdeMO. For example, the Soul EV will start at 47 kW and stay there until 80%. The same 125A, but at a higher and constant voltage.

• Informative
Reactions: 121GWTS and pjw65
When I'm charging on a CHAdeMO charging station using the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, will the charging speed be limited by my car's single charger (11kW) or does it bypass the car's charger, like a super charger does, and I can use the full let's say 50kW of the charging station?
All DC charging (Chademo and Tesla supercharging) bypass your car's charger. Chademo claims 50 kw max, but real world is more like 40 - 43 kw max.

Old thread but if somebody wants to help ;

there is a double connector (CCS/Chademo) charging station in my area, and a model S owner have reported a voltage output on it of 310V when he uses it with his Chademo adapter. He has a model S 100D. He was wandering if it was normal to see a voltage so low.

So the question is for those who use the adapter : what is the voltage you normally get out of a Chademo charging station at different SOC?

Thanks

there is a double connector (CCS/Chademo) charging station in my area, and a model S owner have reported a voltage output on it of 310V when he uses it with his Chademo adapter. He has a model S 100D. He was wandering if it was normal to see a voltage so low.

So the question is for those who use the adapter : what is the voltage you normally get out of a Chademo charging station at different SOC?
Hmm. I do have a CHAdeMO adapter I've used with my Model S85 several times. The CHAdeMO stations are a little bit different than the Superchargers. Since the CHAdeMO through the Tesla adapter have a current limit at 125A, they show a little unique power curve when charging, where the kilowatts creep upward during the low state of charge as the current stays at 125A, and the voltage keeps rising as it matches the increasing voltage level of the battery. But then around that 60%ish level, it switches over to the tapering curve of lowering the current.

I would not be surprised to see 310V on one of the 350V battery types, like a 60 or 75, but I'm not sure I would have expected it that low on a 400V battery like that 100D.

• Helpful
Reactions: TheMrX