Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast should people drive in the carpool lane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People should go no slower than cars to the right of them in any lane (even if it is the express or carpool lane), and no more different than 45MPH between adjacent lanes to reduce speed differential. People should move right out of a lane if they are blocking traffic behind them.

(It's quite dangerous to pass a Prius going slow in the Express/Carpool lane by having to get in what are supposed to be slower moving lanes to do so. Driving slow in the fast lane is not safe.)

On one lane (in a direction) roads, the standard is to pull right someplace safe and safely to allow traffic to pass if you are blocking it, and the law recently was passed to specify "5 or more vehicles" you must do so, but I'd do it even for less than 5.

As we age or when we are sick, our brain and senses operate slower and with more errors. As a result, we encounter situations in which we need to match our driving speed to our ability to take in the information that comes in at that speed. There's a slight increase in information sensing and processing necessary when one gets out of the fastest lane into another lane, but then all you have to do is move more right until you can go slow enough to match your sensory and processing speed at that time to the conditions. This could easily end you up in the rightmost lane, and even off the road, either to let others pass or just to stop driving.

Every day there is a time of day we are not able to physically drive. It is being called tired. We must get off the road before then. However, many of us experience a slower reduction in physical abilities leading up to that time that also requires better positioning and speed of information flow on the roadways. Don't be afraid to get out of the way to the right side lanes. Or off the road in a safe neighborhood.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
Going only the speed limit in the left lane even when it is a hov lane, when the flow of traffic is faster, as it often is, is unsafe.

If you are in any left lane and there is a string of people behind you, and no one in front of you, you are unsafe.
Well, that is your opinion. Going faster than the speed limit in the HOV is unsafe is my opinion backed by statistics. Going 75 in the HOV lane when the flow of traffic is faster and no one in front of you, you are unsafe.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
We could compare a population that has enforced speed limits (enforced by the police, and enforced by left lane slow poke vigilantes), but no enforcement of the rule to keep right except to pass (e.g., the US), and compare to a population where they don't enforce the speed limits, or they are much higher, but they do enforce, and drivers religiously respect, the keep-right-except-to-pass-rule (e.g., Germany). Guess which has better safety statistics?

Take Uber if you can't find it in you to drive with the flow of traffic, even when that is over the speed limit. And if you must threaten us with your driving, stay to the right unless you are passing.
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Driving faster than the posted speed limit in the carpool lane is illegal, unsafe, and arrogant and not a good practice. I don't care what the flow of traffic is,
(Emphasis mine.) People like you should be taken out and summarily shot, but apparently, that's not a good idea, so I don't know what to do with you. Put you in jail for unsafe driving, a Misdemeanor, is what I'd do if I were a Law Enforcement Officer. What you do is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!

On one lane (in a direction) roads, the standard is to pull right someplace safe and safely to allow traffic to pass if you are blocking it, and the law recently was passed to specify "5 or more vehicles" you must do so, but I'd do it even for less than 5.
We have a business up in the mountains over a 30 mile, two lane, twisting road (4000 ft. elev. gain). Our policy is to pull over at the first available turnout if there is even ONE car that wants to pass us and go faster.

• Helpful
Reactions: goto10 and Brando
(Emphasis mine.) People like you should be taken out and summarily shot, but apparently, that's not a good idea, so I don't know what to do with you. Put you in jail for unsafe driving, a Misdemeanor, is what I'd do if I were a Law Enforcement Officer. What you do is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!
Anger much? Road rage candidate? That much anger is not good for your mental and physical health and is extremely dangerous. Chill out, it will make you live longer and a happier person. I'm just happy you are not a Law Enforcement Officer, but there are certainly some out there that have your issues.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link @Brando. What is interesting for the US statistics is a combined death rate of 10.04, but when limited to males only, it jumps to 14.03. Perhaps it is too much testosterone at work, much like on this thread.
animated-gorilla-image-0003.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
Well, that is your opinion. Going faster than the speed limit in the HOV is unsafe is my opinion backed by statistics. Going 75 in the HOV lane when the flow of traffic is faster and no one in front of you, you are unsafe.

Going faster than you feel is safe, or going faster than your car and skills support is WAY more dangerous. It's a very common cause of crashes.

Many people drive faster than they have experience with. That is, they have never found out what the limits feel like, or what the cars does when it exceeds that limit. Cars don't spin themselves. It occurs when you do the wrong thing when you exceed the limits of traction.

Just how many times have you done a max brake and avoidance maneuver at 75 mph and faster? It's scary until you learn it.

When the rear starts to come around, what is the correct action to take? Hint, it's not the brakes, but that causes many if not most spins.

There are clearly two laws here that kind of contradict themselves when speed limit is taken into account. I don’t completely disagree with those of you saying that you should be right except to pass but the HOV lane complicates that.

drive as fast as the car in front of you, but no faster

Brilliant. Our new car has a button that does exactly that!

Believe this thread supports the idea why we need autonomous driving.

We (wife and I) have been discussing the whole traffic scene in anticipation of the self-driving future. I figure once the course is set and the car just gets you there, there is a whole lot less temptation to cut in and out of lanes to "get ahead". And the first few trips on autopilot bear this out. I thought we'd have to have all the cars on the road enabled and talking to each other before this would happen, but TACC even by itself takes away a lot of the anxiety of following the car in front. So your conclusion bears merit.

As for the HOV, my use cases mostly don't match the rest. At 10 PM on a weekend I'm just there so I don't have to drive with the compulsive lane switchers. And in heavy traffic, no one wants to go faster in the HOV than the traffic next to them, so in the end it might as well be just another lane. I'll say this, though. If the CHP is having a "revenue day", I would most like to see them nailing people who cross the double-double yellow lines because they've decided they'd like to drive in the HOV now. Should be easy money.