Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Fast Will A 16KW Charger Fully Charge My Model Y From 10%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. Very new to this. Have had my new MY about 1 month. We are planning a cross country road trip (Chicago to Palm Springs), and I'm using ABRP to help plan it. One question I have is, if the closest charging station to our overnight location is not a supercharger, how can I determine how long it will take to fully charge (by which I mean 100% in this case. we are NOT typically charging it to 100% on a daily basis, just for road trips) the Y to be ready for the next day's driving?

If we are at a 16kw, and we are charging from 10% to 100%, is there a way to determine how long that will take?

Super super helpful. Was not sure how to do the math on that one. I'm just trying to understand the consumption models around the Tesla.

While we're at it, any idea how I determine reference consumption for my vehicle for purposes of ABRP variable input?

While we're at it, any idea how I determine reference consumption for my vehicle for purposes of ABRP variable input?

Easy way is, take your average wh/mi and stick it in ABRP. Or, once you get to know your consumption habits a little better, use those numbers. For instance, I know that driving 65mph with a/c fan blasting high will get me 275wh/mi. Driving 80mph will get me 325wh/mi.

The Model Y AC charger is limited to 11.5 kW, so you won't get 16kW from that location.
Probably not even 11.5 kW. Chances are the wall connector can deliver 80 A at 208 V (probably 200 V under load) which is about 16 kW. Although the MY charger can handle up to 11.5 kW (240 V / 48 A), the car will charge at about 9.9 kW (208 V /48 A) since 240 V are not available.

The math behind it is fairly simple: the power at which you charge is voltage x amperage. The energy you gain is power x time. So if you charge at 10 kW, you get 10 kWh per hour. The battery can store about 75 kWh, so it would take 7.5 hours to charge the battery from empty to full. Realistically it will take longer since the car doesn't sleep while charging, so the battery gets roughly 0.3 kW less than what you think, the rest is used for the car's computer. Also, at above 90-95%, the amperage will gradually go down, so charging from 90-100% will take longer than from 80-90%.

Super super helpful. Was not sure how to do the math on that one. I'm just trying to understand the consumption models around the Tesla.

The default was too high for how I drive. Setting it to 240 gives close to real world results so far for me in warmer weather. Even set to 240 it says my commute takes 17% of the battery, although it takes 15% - 16% most days.

Once it gets cold, I'll have a better idea how well its temperature correction works.

We just took our second shorter road trip (6 hrs - approx. 350 miles). We have a bit of the lead foot, so driving a pretty steady 80mph seems to get us an average of 325 wh/mi (some, but minimal a/c). That sounds in line with what has been said above, yes?

OP in Coachella valley area there really shouldn’t be a need to use L2 charging the superchargers in Palm Springs , ranch mirage and Indio are more than sufficient also a lot of the hotels in Palm Springs have Tesla destination chargers

Hi there. Very new to this. Have had my new MY about 1 month. We are planning a cross country road trip (Chicago to Palm Springs), and I'm using ABRP to help plan it. One question I have is, if the closest charging station to our overnight location is not a supercharger, how can I determine how long it will take to fully charge (by which I mean 100% in this case. we are NOT typically charging it to 100% on a daily basis, just for road trips) the Y to be ready for the next day's driving?

If we are at a 16kw, and we are charging from 10% to 100%, is there a way to determine how long that will take?

Even on road trips, you should rarely be changing over 90%, maybe not much above 80% as it's a lousy use of your time, unless you are scheduling a meal while you charge.

If you can't charge near where you are staying, charge on the way in, so you aren't dependent on a fast AC charger.

Reactions: Rocky_H