Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fo fix all of the problems with Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all of the moaning and groaning on TMC about issues with AP I thought of a good solution. Get rid of it! Or don't buy it in the first place.

Actually with all of the constant complaining about what Tesla has and has not done with AP,I feel fortunate not to have it, as I have total control over my own Model S -- I can go as fast as I want and drive as I chose on any type of road. Am I less safe and do I have less fun? I don't think so. And I don't have some damned simple-minded AI driving my car for me. Of course, I can't brag to my friends about it and I don't have it to complain about all of the time.

Not buying it is one option.
Not allowing Tesla to change the terms of the sale after the fact is another.

Telling someone to simply "get rid of" a product when the manufacturer changes the terms of the sale after the fact misses the point entirely that nobody should be allowed to revoke functionality after they've sold it to you.

If I sold you a toaster today, and then next month reached in through software and changed it so that your desired darkness level was now impossible to achieve. Sure, you could simply throw away the toaster as it doesn't do what you want, or you could try to re-sell it for maybe $5, but you'd be angry at me. And that's a $10 appliance. Imagine how you'd feel if a significant feature of your $100,000 car was taken away.

We have consumer protection laws in most of the world for exactly this reason. To stop companies from retroactively changing the deal after the fact. Tesla will need to be shown this.

100% agreeing with you!
I wouldn't give a damn if none of our cars had AP it really doesn't affect any aspect of the car except being able to let it drive it-self, And I know tons of people who could careless if the S they got had AP or not so really I would give a bunny rabbit if our cars didn't have it neither would my wife!

• Love
Reactions: CHG-ON
Or, you could just take a deep breath, realize life is still really great, and simply wait for the new firmware to get downloaded. Being upset about something you have no control over is futile and quite frankly, toxic.
Why, so we can see what more they remove? They haven't added anything significant since 7.0, and they have removed major things with every release since.

And we DO have some control over it. We can hold Tesla accountable. Don't let them get away with it. Take it to arbitration, take it to consumer protection groups. Don't let this precedent stand that Tesla is allowed to remove functionality at will. We wouldn't allow any other company to remove features after sale, why allow Tesla?

Am I less safe and do I have less fun? I don't think so.

Even at this stage, yes, you are technically less safe driving manually

Being upset about something you have no control over is futile and quite frankly, toxic.

I'd disagree with this too. True, we don't have direct control, but we do have indirect control. If anything, that's what led to a more hands on software update. By voicing opinions like the OP did (Tesla does read these forums) you get a good idea of what people want (or hate).

To each there own, but please let people express their opinions. Rebuke if needed, but leave it at "agree to disagree"

Love AP and if not for it I would not have an S! And if I had no complaints, why would I be a TMC member? :)
Seriously though the back and forth on the Tesla gave me so much info going in that I had no surprises. Thanks TMC. AS green1, mentioned, some original AP abilities were changed mostly due to media pressure and a couple dumb drivers. Sounds like a pretty god case for a "complaint"

artsci, may just be unhappy he does not have AP

Not buying it is one option.
Not allowing Tesla to change the terms of the sale after the fact is another.

Telling someone to simply "get rid of" a product when the manufacturer changes the terms of the sale after the fact misses the point entirely that nobody should be allowed to revoke functionality after they've sold it to you.

If I sold you a toaster today, and then next month reached in through software and changed it so that your desired darkness level was now impossible to achieve. Sure, you could simply throw away the toaster as it doesn't do what you want, or you could try to re-sell it for maybe $5, but you'd be angry at me. And that's a $10 appliance. Imagine how you'd feel if a significant feature of your $100,000 car was taken away.

We have consumer protection laws in most of the world for exactly this reason. To stop companies from retroactively changing the deal after the fact. Tesla will need to be shown this.

Nailed it.

Why, so we can see what more they remove? They haven't added anything significant since 7.0, and they have removed major things with every release since.

And we DO have some control over it. We can hold Tesla accountable. Don't let them get away with it. Take it to arbitration, take it to consumer protection groups. Don't let this precedent stand that Tesla is allowed to remove functionality at will. We wouldn't allow any other company to remove features after sale, why allow Tesla?

You'll do what you think is best, but so far from where I'm standing it doesn't look like you've accomplished too much in the way of getting back what you believe you've lost. And you're still mad - so like I said, toxic.

artsci, may just be unhappy he does not have AP
I don't think that's the case, I suspect he truly enjoys driving, and doesn't see any need for AP, that's fine.

Unfortunately, a common trend I see is people who are fine with things that only affect others, and don't see the possibility that the precedent could later affect them. (for artsci sepcifically, I wonder how he'd feel if Tesla disabled the 17" screen when the car was in drive, for safety of course) There's really nothing different about this vs that both are theoretically "safety" changes, but neither represents the state of the car as presented to them at the time of sale.

And that's the whole point. Stop looking at what Tesla removed and debating whether or not you're ok with that specific feature being removed, and start thinking about if you're ok with the precedent that they are allowed to decide what features you are allowed to keep, and what ones you aren't from a product that you already own.

To each there own, but please let people express their opinions. Rebuke if needed, but leave it at "agree to disagree"

He's been expressing the same opinion for months on end. Hasn't netted him the results he wants. He of course is free to carry on, I'm simply letting others know there's other options that allow one to live life in a happy state instead of being in a constant state of flux, angst, anger etc...

You'll do what you think is best, but so far from where I'm standing it doesn't look like you've accomplished too much in the way of getting back what you believe you've lost. And you're still mad - so like I said, toxic.
Then you haven't been paying attention. I have full AP functionality, with no restrictions. So I have so far been able to keep everything. But I also know that Tesla will try again, so I'm also taking proactive steps to stay ahead of them (which I've discussed in multiple places).
One of those steps is to try to educate others about Tesla's ways. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not. But I consider it a win anytime someone else gets to the point that they're willing to stand up for their rights. So even if you personally think Tesla should be allowed to remove any and all features from your car after sale, I'm making slow headway to maintain my rights.

Reactions: spottyq

Well we allow apple to release new a new OS that won't work on older hardware, effectively making your hardware useless eventually, as the software you run is rapidly outdated and abandoned. They've figured out how to make a computer something you subscribe to instead of something you own and use as long as you want.

Well we allow apple to release new a new OS that won't work on older hardware, effectively making your hardware useless eventually, as the software you run is rapidly outdated and abandoned. They've figured out how to make a computer something you subscribe to instead of something you own and use as long as you want.
Not really the same. You don't have to update iOS, and if you don't, the OS will continue to work as it always did. Ask a Tesla owner with 6.2 or 7.0 how their maps and voice recognition work now, they don't.

Additionally, what's the warranty period on an iOS device? do all the same functions work for the entirety of the warranty period?
Teslas have a warranty period of 4 years, but many people are finding features stop working mere months after purchase.

Reactions: Andyw2100
I'm guessing AP1.0 is a paid option on roughly 120,000 vehicles that have been sold by Tesla. They should ready that $300 million dollar refund check so they can implement your innovative idea.

I'm guessing it will go over nicely in the press as well...

Last edited:
I'm guessing AP1.0 is a paid option on roughly 120,000 vehicles that have been sold by Tesla. They should ready that $300 million dollar refund check so they can implement your innovative idea.

I'm guessing it will go over nicely in the press as well...
Or they could just put it back the way they sold it, and move on. That would be the right thing to do. If they think that they made a mistake, they can do what every other person and company on the planet does and change what they do in the future instead of trying to change the past.
If they want to add limits (clearly advertised) for new customers, that's fine, that's their right. What they can't do is remove functionality they already delivered, or advertise functionality they don't plan to deliver.

Not really the same. You don't have to update iOS, and if you don't, the OS will continue to work as it always did. Ask a Tesla owner with 6.2 or 7.0 how their maps and voice recognition work now, they don't.

Additionally, what's the warranty period on an iOS device? do all the same functions work for the entirety of the warranty period?
Teslas have a warranty period of 4 years, but many people are finding features stop working mere months after purchase.

Not really. With iOS, if you don't update, not only will your phone keep annoying you about it, but your apps will slowly start to malfunction, with the only solution being "update your OS".