Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How future proof is model 3 hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks-
Generally when I buy a car, I don’t care about the tech. I am happy with Bluetooth streaming and maps on my phone. So, I hope to keep my cars for 8+ years. I just make sure I get reliable cars mechanically.

But, given how everything in model 3 is driven out of a single console and the nature of software updates, how future proof is it? Future software updates might need better compute. My 2013 iPad still works, but barely. Is the compute/display unit replaceable?

I replace my Mac/phone hardware every 3 years.

Thanks.

There are a great deal of posts in this forum about this very topic. Initially they were related to Model S, then Model X. You may want to do a forum search. In the meantime, I can tell you what I've always thought: My almost 5-year-old Model S is still a better car than nearly anything else I pass on the road. No, it doesn't have autopilot. I just barely got the parking sensors. It's not AWD. Still, exclude the newer Teslas I see on the road, and there's nothing that compares for me.

Reactions: PoitNarf
The drive computer is easily swappable at least. The drive computer is going to be swapped out (for free) to the new upgraded version for everyone with AP2.x who paid for FSD for example, supposedly the swap takes 30 minutes or less and can be done by mobile techs.

The media computer I'm unsure how modular the current one (MCU2) is... I know MCU1 (only exists on older S/X cars)->MCU2 isn't something Tesla has offered and is not a plug and play operation.... but plenty of folks seem to be getting by just fine on the (much) older HW there.

It’s as future-proof as any other vehicle Tesla has ever released. Which is to say; not very.

If you look at the 6 years that passed for the Model S, then look 8+ years out for the Model 3, they will be on to something bigger and better by that time.

Your car will still be drivable but it will be nowhere near the latest and greatest.

The S is a great example. Mine is 6 years old and had the MCU replaced. Functions fine even on the latest firmware. At some point it will no longer get updates. The drive train and battery are replaceable. Rather than worry about the life-cycle I'd focus on warranty coverage. Will you have coverage over your expected ownership or willing to risk the costs of repairs? If not, then a Tesla may not be for you.

When you buy any technology product (phone, digital camera, etc.), it is always going to be surpassed by something new and better in relatively short order. Like a cell phone, the car will continue to improve through software improvements, but newer cars will come out with better hardware (batteries, self drive technology, etc.). That being said, this will be true of anything that comes out in the future, so the alternative to having your car out-dated is simply to not buy one at all.

As a previous poster said, decide whether or not you think the current features are worth the price for you, make a decision, and then do your best to be happy with that decision. There may be better cars or updated versions that are better than the M3 in the future, but the M3 will still be an amazing car for many years to come.

It’s as future-proof as any other vehicle Tesla has ever released. Which is to say; not very.

If you look at the 6 years that passed for the Model S, then look 8+ years out for the Model 3, they will be on to something bigger and better by that time.

Your car will still be drivable but it will be nowhere near the latest and greatest.

I disagree. I have never gotten firmware updates on my other cars that have added features and in most cases I haven't seen ANY firmware updates to address even basic things like BT connectivity when a new version of iOS comes out.

Tesla have demonstrated that they will continue supporting the cars even after they've moved onto new hardware, I haven't seen any other vendor as committed to continue developing firmware for their "legacy" platforms as Tesla have.

Does that mean it won't be obsolete in 10 years? No, but it will be a lot less obsolete at the 10 year mark than virtually any other car... and it might even help resale value when you go to sell it in 10 years or less since it will likely still be getting updates from Tesla.

Folks-
Generally when I buy a car, I don’t care about the tech. I am happy with Bluetooth streaming and maps on my phone. So, I hope to keep my cars for 8+ years. I just make sure I get reliable cars mechanically.

But, given how everything in model 3 is driven out of a single console and the nature of software updates, how future proof is it? Future software updates might need better compute. My 2013 iPad still works, but barely. Is the compute/display unit replaceable?

I replace my Mac/phone hardware every 3 years.

Thanks.
The only thing you really need to worry about when it comes to the Model 3 is the battery and drive unit which comes with the following warranty:
  • Model 3 with Standard or Mid-Range Battery - 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
  • Model 3 with Long-Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
I would say it will easily be driveable for 8+ years and I don't see any foreseeable changes to your ability to use BT streaming and maps from your phone.

There is no such thing as future proof technology. In a few years Tesla (hopefully) or someone else will have a car that will do something the M3 can't do and you'll look longingly at it and say to yourself, "I should have waited." or "I want a new car.". Hopefully, you'll remember the good times you had driving the best car out there until you saw the new one and/or the fact that your "old" car is paid off or close to it.

I disagree. I have never gotten firmware updates on my other cars that have added features and in most cases I haven't seen ANY firmware updates to address even basic things like BT connectivity when a new version of iOS comes out.

Tesla have demonstrated that they will continue supporting the cars even after they've moved onto new hardware, I haven't seen any other vendor as committed to continue developing firmware for their "legacy" platforms as Tesla have.

Does that mean it won't be obsolete in 10 years? No, but it will be a lot less obsolete at the 10 year mark than virtually any other car... and it might even help resale value when you go to sell it in 10 years or less since it will likely still be getting updates from Tesla.

OP was asking about future proofing compared to other Teslas, not other manufacturers.

In order for it not to have the same level of obsolescence as previous Tesla models, one would have to assume Tesla will stop innovating.

So which is it? Will Tesla stop innovating or will the vehicle be obsolete compared to new Tesla’s? It cannot be both.

OP was asking about future proofing compared to other Teslas, not other manufacturers.

In order for it not to have the same level of obsolescence as previous Tesla models, one would have to assume Tesla will stop innovating.

So which is it? Will Tesla stop innovating or will the vehicle be obsolete compared to new Tesla’s? It cannot be both.

I think you should go back and re-read what he wrote, he never asked about how the Model 3 compared to other Teslas, he asked how it compares to other products.

They will continue to innovate. Hardware wise I will get AP 3.0 as I purchased FSD. So I will have my cake(or such) and eat it too.
Concerning software the model 3 was considered a joke in the beginning because the radio did not work and there were a lot of features missing so there has been a lot of innovation since it came out.. And next year when they figure out they need AP 4.0 I'll get that as well. :p

The iPad comparison does not sound correct as the AP 2.5/AP 3.0 is doing the heavy lifting and not the MCU2. Maybe they will come out with a MCU3/Battlefield 6 bundle on the next Tesla that will not run on MCU2. Who knows.

I wish the car had Homelink 5 since that came out in 2013. Seems like a dumb move for such an advanced tech automobile but I wouldn't call it a future proof issue.

If you always worry about some piece of tech becoming out of date you’ll never buy anything. Unless someone has some advanced knowledge of a newer version of something just around the corner there is no reason not to buy the latest version now.

Reactions: kbecks13
What can Homelink 5 that's missing with the version in the Model 3?

I believe the newer versions of homelink support two way communication, so if the Model 3 supported this and your garage door opener did as well it would be able to send discrete open and close commands instead of a single command that is either “open” or “close” depending on the current state of the door.

Elephant in the room is that Tesla has indicated that a greatly improved and much faster (10X) computer is in the works. It will be included in cars coming down the assembly line when it is ready.

There is a pathway to upgrade for those who feel that it is worth the cost. Upgrade costs have not yet been announced, but Elon mentioned that anyone purchasing Full Self Driving will get this as a free upgrade.

Looks like the faster computer will mostly be to advance the capabilities of the car for Full Self Driving. For those who feel the current autopilot, with some OTA updates is sufficient, then this upgrade will most likely not be required.

Tesla has a policy of constant improvement. This is happening rapidly, and there is no 100% sure way to future proof the car you receive.

Not sure about future proofing but I would really appreciate if they allowed for after market options (360 parking view, power trunk, power doors) that we can pay for.

They can really have a mass market for these upgrades and make a nice margin given how many model 3s they plan to sell.