Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good are Tesla’s in Australia’s extreme heat?

How good are Tesla’s in Australia’s extreme heat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was driving in 50 degree heat yesterday and car was doing just fine.

Attachments

• 2E4B91EC-9A27-4256-98BC-EA1B13D8B57A.jpeg
    2E4B91EC-9A27-4256-98BC-EA1B13D8B57A.jpeg
    687 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Hairyman
That’s exactly what I’ve found. For whatever weird reason, Auto mode works sooooooo much better than any manual setting, which defies logic to me, but there you go.

Remember we had this speculation here a while ago that the A/C is "broken" in the sense of that it uses way too much electricity when not much cooling is required? I.e. not much difference from cooling from 27 to 22 compared to 40 to 22.
I wonder whether this is now fixed and the A/C doesnt cool as much on certain settings and maybe its a bit glitchy.

YMMV but my S has been set on Auto and a fixed temperature for nearly 5 years and driven in everything from sub zero to 45 degrees. I can't remember an instance where anything was ever touched and it's always been comfortable. No glass roof which may or may not make much difference. It's one of the things I realised a couple of years in, that unlike any previous car I'd ever owned I just never touched the climate control. Was always having to fiddle with things under different conditions on other cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Hovean
I always have ours on auto and the only thing I change is temp (using right steering wheel) depending on how I’m dressed. I did the exact same thing in every other car. Best aircon by far was in my 2011 IS250. Could be something to do with how small the interior of the car was.

The AC is very impressive. My worries about the glass roof are completely set to ease with how well it chills the interior. This summer every now and again I admit to feeling a bit odd without a temp display to feel confident the pack and drivetrain are staying in their goldilocks zone. But presumably, they're good!
Cheap android phone is you don't have one + https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emon.canbus.tesla&hl=en_AU + OBD BT device give you pack temp, motor temp, etc

• Helpful
Reactions: Hovean
The pre-cooling is a game changer.
The glass roof does let in more heat than my previous cars, but only slightly. It is far outweighed by the ability to pre-cool the interior to arctic levels before I even get into it.