Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good are Tesla’s in Australia’s extreme heat?

How good are Tesla’s in Australia’s extreme heat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The AC is very impressive. My worries about the glass roof are completely set to ease with how well it chills the interior. This summer every now and again I admit to feeling a bit odd without a temp display to feel confident the pack and drivetrain are staying in their goldilocks zone. But presumably, they're good!

The AC is very impressive. My worries about the glass roof are completely set to ease with how well it chills the interior.
I must be doing something wrong, because so far I’ve felt the AC in Model 3 is rather wimpy. It was only mid 20s in Sydney today but with the sun out I had to manually set the fan speed to 7 to feel like I’m being cooled (and at speed 7 the fan is rather noisy). And that was only a few minutes into my drive. Setting to Auto and the fan slows down?!? Temp set to 21.

So I am fully prepared to be told I’m doing it wrong :cool: so please tell me how to do it right!

Reactions: Furfy and bbqluke
I must be doing something wrong, because so far I’ve felt the AC in Model 3 is rather wimpy. It was only mid 20s in Sydney today but with the sun out I had to manually set the fan speed to 7 to feel like I’m being cooled (and at speed 7 the fan is rather noisy). And that was only a few minutes into my drive. Setting to Auto and the fan slows down?!? Temp set to 21.

So I am fully prepared to be told I’m doing it wrong :cool: so please tell me how to do it right!
Mate, you are doing it wrong.

Not sure what ‘tho.

;)

Is it possible you have it set to non a/c mode? Otherwise it may be faulty in some way.

46 degrees in Melbourne 2 days ago, so confident in the car that I through the groceries in the car (no uncover parking either) and continued to shop while the air con kept the cabin at a fantastic 20 degrees.
Told friends about it at dinner and they had to remind me of burning seatbelt buckles and steering wheels, distant memories :)
And another huge plus is your range greatly increases.
Still kicking myself I didn't throw everything in Tesla shares since I've got to be their big salesmen over the last 7 years.

I thought the same until I realised the AC button in the top left corner needed to be pressed on (now showing blue) otherwise it’s just blowing fresh air from outside.

Never had an issue with the inside of the car in hot weather and it sure is nice to be able to cool it down remotely.

The main issue is the door handles in the sun on a hot day. They become stupidly hot. Downright dangerous with kids....

Basically a terribly underpowered aircon. However with a more positive attitude lately I have found that using the temp controls more judiciously and leaving it on auto seems to work a little better. After a long drive on a hot sunny day you still end up as a bit of a sweatball though.

Is it possible you have it set to non a/c mode? Otherwise it may be faulty in some way.
It is set to A/C mode (I did try toggling it, to see the difference). This morning I put it on “auto” and recirculate, and even though the fan speed went down the cooling seemed to get better. But I would not describe it as strong cooling. Maybe I need to drop the temperature below 21?

I am having trouble, though, reconciling the comments “The AC is very impressive” (@strykeroz), “no problems at all” (@Hairyman) and “good on hot days” (@aegidius) with “a terribly underpowered aircon” (@Shallowal). Which made me wonder - are the positive comments coming from S/X owners since this thread is rather ambiguous? Most people have not mentioned which model Tesla they are driving!

I’m getting the side windows tinted today so that should help as well.

Reactions: Hungry Mile