Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good are the all seasons that come standard on the 18 inch aeros?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We normally go to warmer climates south of the border for winter. For at least the next season cross border travel will very probably not be possible due to covid 19. Not so much the border thing but out of country health insurers have already said they will not cover COVID 19 patients. So the entire Canadian Snowbird population will probably b grounded for at least a year. Sooooo.

We are retired. Very little need to go anywhere and we live right downtown. So a shopping trip or restaurant is a matter of 2 or 3 km. We live in the Okanagan Valley, Mild weather but we do get snow. For the most part we can just stay home if the roads aren't good. BUT...if we do have to go out, how are the stock 18 all season tires that come on the aeros in the snow. Do we need dedicated winters? Opinions please.

Let me expand a little. We don't have our three yet (have on on order but SA saus it will be 3 months plus depending how this Covid thing goes) We found an inventory car that we like that has evrything we want but the right rims. We are considering buying it as is and then ordering the 19 inch sport wheel and summer tire package. The description on line says this

"Featuring Hankook Ventus S1 evo 3 tires, this 19" summer package delivers ultra-quiet noise performance and excellent handling".

Anyone have experience with these. I like that it says they are quiet. But quieter than what? Quieter than the stock 19's on the sport rims?

Thanks in advance.

John

how are the stock 18 all season tires that come on the aeros in the snow

The OEM 18" tires are Michelin Primacy MXM4. They aren't any better in the snow than an average all-season tire, you can see TireRack reviews here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4 for details. If you see any serious snow more often than a few days a year, consider at least a set of CrossClimate+ tires, if not a dedicated snow tire like an X-Ice Xi3.

P.S. here's a handy spreadsheet comparing various tire options available for Model 3 that u/jeybee on Reddit put together: Best Tesla Model 3 compatible tires compared using Tire Rack and Tyre Reviews

• Informative
Reactions: UncleCreepy
The OEM 18" tires are Michelin Primacy MXM4. They aren't any better in the snow than an average all-season tire, you can see TireRack reviews here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4 for details. If you see any serious snow more often than a few days a year, consider at least a set of CrossClimate+ tires, if not a dedicated snow tire like an X-Ice Xi3.

P.S. here's a handy spreadsheet comparing various tire options available for Model 3 that u/jeybee on Reddit put together: Best Tesla Model 3 compatible tires compared using Tire Rack and Tyre Reviews

Great info. Thank you so much.

Reactions: ilyak

Great info. Thank you so much.

I am very happy with the Michelin Primacy. They are smooth and quiet, and the additional sidewall on the 18" wheel is a road shock buffer with the 45 psi pressures that Tesla's carry. When I was ordering I strongly considered the 19's because I preferred the look of them. On reflection I am confirmed in my choice of the 18's. The appearance of the wheel covers has grown on me, and they handle our Florida winters extremely well :). I try hard to avoid potholes, but I hit a good one once that I was pretty certain damaged the tire/wheel. On inspection, not so. You will find numerous threads concerning damage to 19's and 20's here, but the 18's have been pretty durable. FWIW the wheels under the covers are pretty attractive. I ordered the center caps and lug nut covers in case I wanted to show them off. I have left the covers on. Estimates on mileage advantage on the highway run from 5 - 10% in the articles I have read here and other places. It goes against my grain to squander that efficiency advantage. I am certainly not qualified to advise you concerning winter usage, but maybe you can live with the OEM paws if you exercise restraint as to the conditions you venture out in. It seems, after all, that we are all becoming more proficient at staying home... :(

I am very happy with the Michelin Primacy. They are smooth and quiet, and the additional sidewall on the 18" wheel is a road shock buffer with the 45 psi pressures that Tesla's carry. When I was ordering I strongly considered the 19's because I preferred the look of them. On reflection I am confirmed in my choice of the 18's. The appearance of the wheel covers has grown on me, and they handle our Florida winters extremely well :). I try hard to avoid potholes, but I hit a good one once that I was pretty certain damaged the tire/wheel. On inspection, not so. You will find numerous threads concerning damage to 19's and 20's here, but the 18's have been pretty durable. FWIW the wheels under the covers are pretty attractive. I ordered the center caps and lug nut covers in case I wanted to show them off. I have left the covers on. Estimates on mileage advantage on the highway run from 5 - 10% in the articles I have read here and other places. It goes against my grain to squander that efficiency advantage. I am certainly not qualified to advise you concerning winter usage, but maybe you can live with the OEM paws if you exercise restraint as to the conditions you venture out in. It seems, after all, that we are all becoming more proficient at staying home... :(

Thank you for an informative post.

Note that the oem 18 tires start at 8/32" tread depth, where as most other tires are 10/32 and some 11/32s.

Good point. When we are able to get out again I look forward to measuring these Michelins at a retail tire store. I have noticed on other cars that OEM installed tires may start at a lower tread depth. This was the case with the Goodyears on my 2017 Cadillac XTS. I replaced them with the same tires retail and thought the replacements a step above in ride, noise and quality. But, I could have been imagining that.

Good point. When we are able to get out again I look forward to measuring these Michelins at a retail tire store. I have noticed on other cars that OEM installed tires may start at a lower tread depth. This was the case with the Goodyears on my 2017 Cadillac XTS. I replaced them with the same tires retail and thought the replacements a step above in ride, noise and quality. But, I could have been imagining that.

I just look at the tirerack specs for tread depth. Unfortunately because these started at 8/32nds, based on my wear, not having those extra 2/32nds will take about 10k miles off the life,