Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good is tesla road side assistance on cross country trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Not sure where to place this query, but I'm looking for some advice from the collective experience here.
I have an early M3 with only 18,600 miles, but we are planning a trip from Colorado to Georgia. We have made the trip before, and it was the best cross-country trip I ever had.
My concern is the 12v battery. At 3 years old I'm a little worried about that battery reaching end of life during the trip, just because that's how my universe unfolds.
I have read here that some got a warning that failure was imminent and others that had no warning.
My question is regarding Tesla Ranger service for roadside assistance. There are some long stretches between towns, and I would like to hear other's experiences with cross-country roadside help from Tesla. All input is welcome.

Thanks for your time.

I changed your thread title to what it sounds like you were asking, vs "community recommendations" which doesnt describe what the thread was about.

It seems like you had two different questions there, one about 12v (which as mentioned is $85 from tesla if you want to pay for it preemptively and install it yourself, or $129 if you have tesla install it for you right now before it fails).

if you are worried about the 12v, just replace it before you go, its relatively cheap, and even if a ranger can do it ( and they absolutely can, in like 5 minutes), yo will be kicking yourself if you have a 12v problem on your trip.

The other question seems to be a general one about tesla roadside assistance. If you are expecting tesla to fix your car on the side of the road most times, that may not happen. If your expectation is for them to tow it somewhere (like every single other car manufacturer that offers this service, and also services like AAA) then you should be fine.

The same tow companies that provide AAA towing service also do tesla roadside. They dont send out rangers for roadside assistance.

Reactions: Tron 3
Hi, Not sure where to place this query, but I'm looking for some advice from the collective experience here.
I have an early M3 with only 18,600 miles, but we are planning a trip from Colorado to Georgia. We have made the trip before, and it was the best cross-country trip I ever had.
My concern is the 12v battery. At 3 years old I'm a little worried about that battery reaching end of life during the trip, just because that's how my universe unfolds.
I have read here that some got a warning that failure was imminent and others that had no warning.
My question is regarding Tesla Ranger service for roadside assistance. There are some long stretches between towns, and I would like to hear other's experiences with cross-country roadside help from Tesla. All input is welcome.

Thanks for your time.
Just got back from a 4400 mile road trip from Maine to Colorado and back. My 12v is almost 3yrs old so I pro-actively bought a 12v for $85, and put it in the sub-trunk along with some tools so that I could change the battery if necessary, and a ranger was not near. Of course, my battery was fine.

Reactions: Tron 3
Just got back from a 4400 mile road trip from Maine to Colorado and back. My 12v is almost 3yrs old so I pro-actively bought a 12v for $85, and put it in the sub-trunk along with some tools so that I could change the battery if necessary, and a ranger was not near. Of course, my battery was fine.
Ahh, of course. All I need to do to evade the necessity is have one at the ready. I should have known that.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin