Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good is the Model 3 HVAC in winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
As someone with a leased Model S and a Model 3 reservation who needs to decide which car to choose soon, I'd like to know how well the Model 3 HVAC worked in winter, if there are any owners who live in the snow belt and got their Model 3s in time for a good test. I'd particularly like to hear from people who have had Model S and can compare the 2 cars.

The Model S (and X) difficulties in cold weather are well-documented in this forum. My main problem with my S has been that the car seems to gradually turn chilly on longer trips, so that you have to continually turn up the temperature to keep the car warm -- and sometimes it does not keep up. (It is odd because the system can and does crank out a lot of heat, but it does not seem able or willing to provide a steady supply of heat on long drives.) People have also complained of poor sealing of doors, windows, and penetrations through the firewall, leading to cold air leaks.

So -- anyone who had substantial cold weather experience yet with their Model 3? How did it do? How does it compare to Model S?

Thanks in advance for any input.

How cold is cold? I did a one hour Model 3 trip yesterday in snow and 25 degrees F. The heat was set to 70, we had jackets on, and no one complained about anything. I didn't closely pay attention to anything about cabin comfort, and nothing caught my attention

• Informative
Reactions: David29
How cold is cold? I did a one hour Model 3 trip yesterday in snow and 25 degrees F. The heat was set to 70, we had jackets on, and no one complained about anything. I didn't closely pay attention to anything about cabin comfort, and nothing caught my attention
That sounds good. I'd also be interested in experience with longer trips and temps down to about 10F (about the coldest we get routinely here).