Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those with trouble may want to list the type of system they have (heat pump/not), what temperature sensor they have (with/without an intake fan), what mode they use (auto/manual) and whether or not they usually block the temperature sensor with the center console lid.

I have the heat pump, fan-sensor, no lid, always use auto mode, and find the temp control to be excellent.

Though I do miss the nice feature of my old BMW where the "fan speed" control functioned as a "fan aggressiveness" control in auto mode. Sometimes I'm willing to give up a little bit of temperature performance to have less wind/noise, and other times I want it to work harder because I just spent some time outside or the sun is hitting me and I don't necessarily want it warmer/cooler, just more active.

For me, while voice control is a great option, it is not the method I prefer. When I am in my car, it is actually the most peaceful part of my day where I can get lost in my music (THAT is very important to me, but I am a weirdo). Doing anything via voice control is very disruptive to my experience.

But that's just me.
Don't get too lost in that music...you need to concentrate on the road ;-)

Don't get too lost in that music...you need to concentrate on the road ;-)
I'm just lost in the matrix.
1634908239156.png

Yes, to elaborate on the cabin temperature sensor, it's located on the bottom surface of the screen mount.

Early models have a smooth panel with a simple passive temperature sensor that looks like a button:
Screenshot 2021-10-22 104420.png

And here's the actual sensor, pretty self-explanatory:
Screenshot 2021-10-22 105549.png

Later models use a textured panel with an intake grille region:
Screenshot 2021-10-22 104748.png

And the sensor now features a tiny squirrel cage fan to draw in air (these are actually pretty common):
Screenshot 2021-10-22 110552.png

Unfortunately I don't know when the change was made or if a retrofit is possible.

My 2002 Honda Odyssey had two temperature sensors. One on the steering column for the ambient air temperature and one on the dash to capture direct sunlight. That one was used by the climate system to know if it needed to push fresh air through the vents based on the temperature difference between the one on the column and the one on the dash. Worked quite well.

Yes, to elaborate on the cabin temperature sensor, it's located on the bottom surface of the screen mount.

Early models have a smooth panel with a simple passive temperature sensor that looks like a button:
View attachment 724348

And here's the actual sensor, pretty self-explanatory:
View attachment 724351

Later models use a textured panel with an intake grille region:
View attachment 724352

And the sensor now features a tiny squirrel cage fan to draw in air (these are actually pretty common):
View attachment 724354

Unfortunately I don't know when the change was made or if a retrofit is possible.
It’s not that simple. My Model Y does in fact have that same sensor with the fan motor. However, even if I disconnect it the AC seems to run same as ever. So there must be other sensors.
I have heard there is also one behind the rear view mirror mount but I didn’t look for that one myself.

Also, when scanning with TesLax app I see several other cabin related temperatures reported. There is a sunlight sensor and even a roof temperature sensor. Some combination of all of these must drive the climate control system.