Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How hard is it to drive a long trip in Australia (900+ Km)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anywhere on the east coast is easy. Cairns to Melbourne or Canberra, no problem. Head west though at the moment (especially in Queensland) and you'll find a lack of fast charging options, but plenty of places to charge if you're not in a hurry. Electricity is after all essentially everywhere that people are.

I did a day trip in our SR+ Brisbane to Chinchilla with a side trip into a national park (760km return) but there's no fast charging west of Toowoomba and the old public charger in Dalby does 1.6kW flat out. At Chinchilla I charged while parked from a power point over an extension lead. Still made it in a long day but the slower options out west do mean A Better Route Planner, as mentioned above, is your friend.

Upvote 0
I did a trip from Sydney to Adelaide then on to Alice Springs, plus return trip in August 2018.
Sydney to Adelaide then Port Augusta was easy and required no specific planning as I did it all on Superchargers.
Port Augusta to Alice Springs along the Stuart Highway needs planning and the correct cables, plus I brought a spare tyre, Jack and tools. But I would recommend special preparation for that trip, regardless of the car being used.
Download PlugShare to your smart phone to see the charge points along your planned route and use A Better Route Planner to plan your trips.
For the East Coast of Australia, in any Tesla but the Roadster you should have no problem. For most other long range EV’s it’s getting there, but there are gaps. For series 1 Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi iMiev, it’s problematic but doable if you have the time and patience and your battery hasn’t degraded too much.
If you can specify the route you are interested and the car we can advise in more detail.

Upvote 0
Emerald to toowoomba
The safer but longer route and probably the route ABRP will take you is Emerald to the coast then directly south. If you have an extra few hours to spare the shorter more adventurous route is Emerald-Springsure-Roma-Toowoomba, use Plugshare, remove filters so every possible charging option is open and follow the ABCs- Always Bring Cables, Always Browse Comments (Plugshare) and Always Be Charging.

Upvote 0
For the East Coast of Australia, in any Tesla but the Roadster you should have no problem. For most other long range EV’s it’s getting there, but there are gaps. For series 1 Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi iMiev, it’s problematic but doable if you have the time and patience and your battery hasn’t degraded too much.
As an owner of a Gen 1 Nissan Leaf, one should only buy that car with full understanding and appreciation of its limitations. And that is, it is not a road trip car. I do know of people who have taken them on road trips (someone actually did a circumnavigation of the country in one - seriously) but I just wouldn’t try it. Way too frustrating and slow.

It is a great city car, and that’s all we bought it for, and that’s all we use it for. The furthest we have taken it from Sydney is to the northern suburbs of Wollongong.

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
Upvote 0
The safer but longer route and probably the route ABRP will take you is Emerald to the coast then directly south. If you have an extra few hours to spare the shorter more adventurous route is Emerald-Springsure-Roma-Toowoomba, use Plugshare, remove filters so every possible charging option is open and follow the ABCs- Always Bring Cables, Always Browse Comments (Plugshare) and Always Be Charging.
Plug Share seems incorrect because there is no charger in my town (were I live) but it says there is 1
Thanks for the help!
:D

Upvote 0