Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How hard is to replace HPWC with Nema 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UL doesn’t extend past the wire lugs.

Put anything on there that is safe, meets code in your area, and will pass a safely inspection form a government representative.

That includes a NEMA 14-50, of that’s what you want. You can find UL listed 14-50 pigtails at Home Depot.
UL says it has to be installed in accordance with the user manual. Manual states it has to be hardwired, not with a pigtail.

• Disagree
Reactions: DCGOO and Rocky_H
Yes, same thing. The wire size is for the rating of the circuit, so there won't be any difference between which thing you attach on the end of it.

Thanks! I sure don't want to pay for them to rip open the walls for a 3rd time.

We opened the ceiling up 12 months ago for installatation of tank-less water heater and re-circulation lines. (That is the drywall patch running from the front of the panel.) Wish I would have known I was going to buy the Model X then. I could have done the water and charger runs at the same time.

Last edited:
UL says it has to be installed in accordance with the user manual. Manual states it has to be hardwired, not with a pigtail.

Maybe they do. But UL is just a consumer testing lab. Their pronouncements should be considered a technical recommendation, not a local ordinance. Take their opinions with a grain of salt. If your wall connector is not plugged in, it is not plugged in.

Maybe they do. But UL is just a consumer testing lab. Their pronouncements should be considered a technical recommendation, not a local ordinance. Take their opinions with a grain of salt. If your wall connector is not plugged in, it is not plugged in.
Agreed. And yet, some AHJs will require that you follow that. I had a local inspector reject an installation where a friend and I were going to put a 14-50 pigtail on a J1772 station years ago. It was dumb. That's why I said it was worth noting, not "OH GOD DON'T DO THAT".

Post #13 says that MCU2 cars cannot be charged with Gen1 UMC. Is that true? My second MX is coming and I am planning to charge with my Gen1 UMC at 40A, while keeping the Gen2 UMC in the new car for road trips. Thanks

Looks like post #13 refers to incompatibility with a Gen 1 HPWC and MCU2, not the UMC

"And we had the HPWC re-installed in the new house. And a few months, it was replaced with a Gen 2 HPWC, because of the incompatibilities between (MCU2?) recently built Tesla vehicles and the Gen 1 HPWCs."

But there have been reports of Tesla replacing the Gen 1 UMC with Gen 2 UMCs. Tesla Replacing Gen 1 UMC with Gen 2 UMC

Last edited:
Correct. There is no issue with any UMC. But the early HPWC will not work with new MCU vehicles. Tesla will replace your old HPWC with a new style WC for free. But you have to pay for installation (or do it yourself, which is not that difficult).

The only problem with this, is the newer cars cannot be charged at the lions share of the installed Destination Chargers. I know from personal experience this is a problem with Model X and S. Not sure if it affects Model 3 or not.

The only problem with this, is the newer cars cannot be charged at the lions share of the installed Destination Chargers. I know from personal experience this is a problem with Model X and S. Not sure if it affects Model 3 or not.

I have charged my new MX at Destination Chargers that have been around for at least 3-4 years and they work fine. I don't know if this incompatibility is correct across all MCU2s. Local Tesla SC said they haven't seen issues either.

BTW, my reason for asking all these questions is because this power will be buried in the ceiling of the garage and be largely inaccessible without a lot of work. Here are some images of the current state.

1st image is overview. Post on left edge is where HPWC will be mounted. Electrical Panel is on right. All wires will be up in the garage ceiling running through joists. Ceiling sheetrock will be repaired and ceiling smoothed and painted. My office is on second floor.
eCCsQn1.jpg

Here is detail on post that will hold HPWC. They added 2X4s to create a cavity for wires and will add additional blocking onto which the HPWC will be mounted. The post will be re-wrapped in sheetrock so no wires will be exposed.
LN5b3U8.jpg
GIven all of that, run big enough wire to handle the biggest circuit you could reasonably want. Could you ever decide you want to add a second HPWC for a second car? Think big. You can always use pigtail wires to downsize for a 14-50 outlet.

Correct. There is no issue with any UMC. But the early HPWC will not work with new MCU vehicles. Tesla will replace your old HPWC with a new style WC for free. But you have to pay for installation (or do it yourself, which is not that difficult).

Where did you get that idea?

From personal experience, as I stated. My Model X (June 2018) cannot charge at any older style HPWC. Including those left installed near my local Tesla store. (Store has mix of old and new WC). Apparently this affects Model X built from roughly March 2018 onward. It is my understanding this is when the MCU2 began to be included. If your X was built before March 2018, no issue. After that date you must look for new style with the integrated handle holder on the right side. Tesla swapped my old HPWC for a new WC, so I could charge my new car at home again.

Now it is possible the problem was corrected w software, but my vehicle is on 2018.36.2 and still has the problem. No idea if version 9 fixed it on newer vehicles. I am still waiting for V9

GIven all of that, run big enough wire to handle the biggest circuit you could reasonably want. Could you ever decide you want to add a second HPWC for a second car? Think big. You can always use pigtail wires to downsize for a 14-50 outlet.

I think one HPWC (or Nema 14-50) should be enough for us. I will let some future homeowner deal with upgrading to support multiple EVSE setups.

And if I were doing that, I would put a second EVSE right near the breaker panel. The setup we are now installing can supply power to bays 2 and 3. Supplying power to bay 1 (where the Model X is currently parked) would require something (NEMA 14-50, HPWC, etc) over by the breaker panel or adjacent wall.

Last edited:
DCGOO said:

How new is new. My 1 year old X has no issues.

Tesla supplies an adapter for J-1772 plugs which is a very common destination type charger plug. I've never had an issue using them.

I simply had my electritian install both at once. The HPWC charges at 48 amps and the NEMA 14-50 at 40 amps using the same wires. I have not tried using both at once but assume that would throw my breaker.
Your "electritian" obviously wasn't an real electrician since you can't install a 14-50 on a 60a breaker, and you can't charge at 48a on a 50a breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H