Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How hard is to replace HPWC with Nema 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DCGOO said:
The only problem with this, is the newer cars cannot be charged at the lions share of the installed Destination Chargers. I know from personal experience this is a problem with Model X and S. Not sure if it affects Model 3 or not.
How new is new. My 1 year old X has no issues.

Cars built in March-2018 and later have the MCU2 and will not charge from the legacy HPWC.

When I talked with the charging team in June, after we received our 2018 X 100D with MCU2, they believed the incompatibility between HPWC Gen 1 and MCU2 vehicles could be corrected by a software update (it's likely a software timing issue, caused by the faster MCU2 processor), though they didn't know how long it would take to get the update completed and distributed.

As pointed out, you can fix home charging by swapping out an old HPWC for a new one. But that doesn't address the destination charger problem - unless Tesla also works with those locations to upgrade the early destination chargers with the Gen 2 HPWCs.

When I talked with the charging team in June, after we received our 2018 X 100D with MCU2, they believed the incompatibility between HPWC Gen 1 and MCU2 vehicles could be corrected by a software update (it's likely a software timing issue, caused by the faster MCU2 processor), though they didn't know how long it would take to get the update completed and distributed.

As pointed out, you can fix home charging by swapping out an old HPWC for a new one. But that doesn't address the destination charger problem - unless Tesla also works with those locations to upgrade the early destination chargers with the Gen 2 HPWCs.

Yup, I got exactly the same story. But a software fix was not forthcoming. Instead they brought out a new WC in a box, and gave it to me. They said we cannot install it for you, but we will give you a new one for your old if you promise to bring back the old one in the next few weeks. I knew it was a very simple swap, so sure, why not.

You are correct regarding existing Destination chargers. Maybe V9 will fix it, I don't know, but the last time (a couple weeks ago, V8) I was able to connect to an old HPWC, it still failed. If I decide to install V9, I will try it again.

Yup, I got exactly the same story. But a software fix was not forthcoming. Instead they brought out a new WC in a box, and gave it to me. They said we cannot install it for you, but we will give you a new one for your old if you promise to bring back the old one in the next few weeks. I knew it was a very simple swap, so sure, why not.

You are correct regarding existing Destination chargers. Maybe V9 will fix it, I don't know, but the last time (a couple weeks ago, V8) I was able to connect to an old HPWC, it still failed. If I decide to install V9, I will try it again.

I upgraded to version 9, but sadly my MCU2 Model X still faults using a legacy HPWC (there is one not far from me).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
So what's one to do when arriving at destination charger low on miles and finding out that HPWC no likey?

Basically you're screwed. Find the nearest campground, rent a space and sleep in the car. Get on Plugshare and find something else. BTW, Campgrounds are NOT generally listed in Plugshare, but there are numerous campground apps. You can plug your car in to any that offer 50 amp service. The standard 50 amp camper outlet is a Nema 14-50

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Basically you're screwed. Find the nearest campground, rent a space and sleep in the car. Get on Plugshare and find something else. BTW, Campgrounds are NOT generally listed in Plugshare, but there are numerous campground apps. You can plug your car in to any that offer 50 amp service. The standard 50 amp camper outlet is a Nema 14-50
Be sure to call ahead. Not all campgrounds are friendly to renting spaces for car charging. The nomenclature for campgrounds is "50 amp service", "30 amp service" is 120v and uses a different plug. If you ask for a NEMA-14-50, or EV chargers, they may not grok what you're talking about.

Try never to have only one option for charging. Better to make an extra stop to be sure of making it to a backup. Tesla really needs to fix this, it's an intolerable situation.

Be sure to call ahead. Not all campgrounds are friendly to renting spaces for car charging.
It surprised me, but I just ran into that last week. I think Idaho is a bit more "country" and laid-back, so I had never heard any problem from RV parks here, but last week, I was calling to check for renting a spot for overnight car camping in the Seattle area, and I got "We don't allow cars to parking our RV spots." Welll...I guess I'll take my money elsewhere then.

Be sure to call ahead. Not all campgrounds are friendly to renting spaces for car charging. The nomenclature for campgrounds is "50 amp service", "30 amp service" is 120v and uses a different plug. If you ask for a NEMA-14-50, or EV chargers, they may not grok what you're talking about.

I would not ask for a spot to charge your car. Ask for a campsite for the night with 50 amp service. It might cost $60, but you will be on the road in the morning! :)